Old July 9th 05, 08:18 AM
Pete KE9OA

Default MW Receiver

Silicon Engines is moving especially slow on the project since I left the
company, so I decided to do a stripped down version of the receiver as a
baseline to compare the final unit to.
I had three prototype boards made........one of them is for Jeff Woods, who
wrote the DDS code for my general coverage receiver that I had up on my
website for awhile (I still need to get that up again).
The other two are for myself.......one of them to play around with, and the
other one for use as a design example at job interviews.
First impressions of this unit are quite good..............this experimental
version has a balanced loop amplifier that is tuned with an NTE-618 varactor
diode. The receiver is quite hot; the way it handles signals and the gain of
the unit reminds me of a Collins 75A-4 receiver.
I will check it tomorrow to see how it does with daytime reception, but I
am quite optimistic in my expectations.
I will let all of you know how it works out.

Pete

Old July 9th 05, 11:33 AM
RHF

PETE [KE9OA],
Old July 9th 05, 06:25 PM
Pete KE9OA

Anytime..............I just got through running it through its paces this
afternoon. As I suspected, it is more sensitive than anything else I have
ever seen.
For this version, I am tuning the VCO with a 10-turn pot. Coverage is from
approximately 200kHz to 2.0MHz.
I did some measurements on the spectral purity of the VCO.

2nd harmonic is -45dBc
3rd harmonic is -65dBc
All other harmonics are below -80dBc

Pete

"Dan" wrote in message
ups.com...

Thanks for the heads up on the project Pete..

Old July 9th 05, 06:27 PM
Pete KE9OA

It would be better if it moved more quickly. That is the reason I had these
prototypes made. I wanted to check the performance of the unit with this
board layout. Results are very encouraging.

Pete

"RHF" wrote in message
oups.com...
PETE [KE9OA],
.
Sorry to hear that Silicon Engines is moving slow on the MW Receiver
Project.
.
I will continue to monitor your reports here ~ RHF
. . . . .

Old July 9th 05, 06:34 PM

How much are they going to sell for? Will they pick up
Monticello,Mississippi from Jackson,Mississippi in the daytime? Look up
Monticello in a Rand McNally road atlas.Monticello isn't far from
Jackson.In 1976,I bought a 1922 Ford T Model chassis (which I still
own,by the way) from David Dortch in Monticello.He sold it to me for
$250.00,his wife was pregnant again.
cuhulin

Old July 9th 05, 08:03 PM

His wife was pretty enough that I wouldn't have minded getting her
pregnant.Gorgeous blonde woman,sexy looking thang.Roger Fredinburg
www.regularguy.com used to say on his radio talk show that Mississippi
has the prettiest girls in the World and Roger Fredinburg has never even
been to Mississippi before.(yep,we grow them wimmins pretty here in
Mississippi,no wonder I am always with a h..d on) y'all don't believe
me? Go ask Roger Fredinburg in Medford,Oregon.
cuhulin

Old July 9th 05, 08:45 PM

Onnnnnnn Raglandddd Roaddddd,,,,,,, I sawww herrrr first,and I
knewwwwwww,,,,,, her auburn hair,,,,,,,,,,,,
cuhulin

Old July 9th 05, 09:09 PM
Pete KE9OA

If the signal is above the ambient noise level, it should be able to hear
it. Just like that Model T chassis.

Pete