Old July 10th 05, 03:06 PM

Default R-75 status?

This is probably nothing, but I noticed that Universal has deleted the
message that once used to be on its R-75 ad, stating that the R-75 is
discontinued. I then went to the Icom America website, and noticed that
the R-75 is there, even though I seem to recall its having been removed
at one point.

Is there more to this than I think?

Steve

Old July 10th 05, 09:28 PM
D Peter Maus

Telamon wrote:
In article
,
D Peter Maus wrote:

wrote:

This is probably nothing, but I noticed that Universal has deleted
the message that once used to be on its R-75 ad, stating that the
R-75 is discontinued. I then went to the Icom America website, and
noticed that the R-75 is there, even though I seem to recall its
having been removed at one point.

Is there more to this than I think?

Steve

That's a good question. And one that bears investigating.

In the last few years, a number of the major manufacturers of
desktops have exited, or threatened to exit, the market. At least in
North America. AOR withdrew 7030 and its variants from the US market.
Icom announced the discontinuation of R-75. Drake appears to have
left the building. Yeasu had announced that it had gigged the Frog.

And yet, FRG-100B appears to be alive and well. AOR returned
7030+ to North America, and R-75's demise appears to be on hold.

It may be that with declining competition, some manufacturers are
rethinking their product life cycles. In the case of Icom, they're
still in production with a wide range of radio gear, some popular HF
ham gear included. With the appropriate economies of scale,
production of R-75 in a competition reduced market could remain
profitable.

Has anyone contacted Bellevue for a definitive position on R-75?

Maybe they did one last production run.

That's a good thought. And it's possible that Japan hasn't really
been clear with Retail. If you'll recall when R-75 was released, I
mentioned here a conversation with an ICOM rep I'd had at a ham show
in which the rep said that complaints as echoed here about R-75's
sync detector had been heard loud and clear in the hallowed halls.
And that there were, indeed, revisions coming. And that the case
clearly contained space for future hardware developments. Additional
conversations with other ICOM reps repeated these details.

But no such revisions have been forthcoming, to date.

Conversations I've had with Bellevue, over the years, have
indicated that they really don't know what the hell Japan is doing.

So, your thought is as good as any.

Old July 10th 05, 09:57 PM
Telamon

In article
,
D Peter Maus wrote:

Telamon wrote:
In article
,
D Peter Maus wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Oh! So they might actually fix it. That is good news. If it get fixed
right I might buy one. It would have to be offered with some filter
options good SWBC listening for me to consider it.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

Old July 10th 05, 10:23 PM
D Peter Maus

Telamon wrote:
In article
,
D Peter Maus wrote:

Telamon wrote:

In article
,
D Peter Maus wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Don't hold your breath. The conversation referred took place
several years ago.

You know, I've played with R-75 on and off since it's release.
It's not a bad radio. Not a 'best in class', except that it's pretty
much the only one left in that class. For the money it wasn't
exactly a bad value.

As has been pointed out here, though, a number of times, it's a
start out of the box, but requires finishing. If you have to drop
coin to modify it to get the radio it should have been all along,
then there are probably better alternatives.

Absent any competition in class, ICOM wouldn't be too highly
motivated to put forth the effort.

I've owned and still own a number of ICOM radios. Still use R-10
and R-7000 every day. And I owned R-71a for years. Wouldn't mind
having that one back. But some of the corners cut by ICOM to save a
few sheckels is baffling on radios of their otherwise significant
quality. The result is a lot of promise, but, too often, short
delivery.

Old July 11th 05, 12:22 AM
David

On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 21:23:35 GMT, D Peter Maus
wrote:

[...]

I like mine just fine out of the box. Well worth $500. The SSB works
very well for Utes, as well as MWDX and SWBC. The DSP is OK, but
doesn't enhance readability much. Notch filters are fun on WWV.

Old July 11th 05, 02:56 AM
Brian Denley

I still wonder what the sales level has been for shortwave receivers for the
last three or four years. I have never seen any data but I wonder how
dismal the sales were and how much the web hurt. The number of people
willing to shell out many hundreds of $$ for a shortwave radio may have
shrunk to a very small number. Anyone seen any sales data for the last crop
of receivers (R8B, R-75, RX-350, NRD-545)?
--
Brian Denley

Old July 11th 05, 06:10 AM
RHF

BD,
Old July 11th 05, 06:10 PM
Lucky

"D Peter Maus" wrote in message
Telamon wrote:
In article ,
D Peter Maus wrote:

Telamon wrote:

In article
,
D Peter Maus wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Hi Peter,

I own several radios and for the money, the R75 just can't be beat. It just
can't. I paid $425 after specials for mine brand new w/DSP. The performance
outta that receiver is freaking amazing for me here in Florida. If I need to
pull a signal out of total garbage and can make out what's being sent I can
do it with the R75.

The Twin PBT with the coupling of different filters {I have a pair of 2.8's
added} and the DSP that is not bad at all, makes this a superb unit for the
price. Add the remote control option and the UT-102 voice synthesizer and
it's a very fun unit.

I don't know how any SWL-DX'er in the know doesn't own one unless it's a
more expensive unit.

Just MHO

Lucky

PETE [KE9OA] 'status report' on the AM/MW Receiver Project Pete KE9OA Shortwave 2 February 24th 05 08:45 AM
RHF Displays His Card-Carrying Member Status in the Rat-Fink Society bpnjensen Shortwave 0 November 16th 04 04:54 PM
GCN Status? Ernie Shortwave 0 November 7th 04 11:17 PM
Restoring the status quo of Ham Radio Airy R. Bean Homebrew 62 March 22nd 04 07:05 AM
Status of Shortwave. Vijay Shortwave 47 January 2nd 04 03:17 PM