Old July 15th 05, 02:45 PM
D Peter Maus

FDR wrote:
"RHF" wrote in message
ups.com...

The "Handles" were in style at the time of manufacture.

So just asthetics.

Not exclusively. The forward handles, were common on radios with
a high profile and gross weight. In the event of a tip over, they
prevented the knobs/switches from being crushed, broken or the face
cracked.
Old July 15th 05, 03:27 PM

It doesn't take long for those leather handles and leather radio cases
to rot away either.I have a bunch of radios with rotten handles and a
few rotten leather cases.
cuhulin

Old July 15th 05, 04:29 PM
Michael Black

D Peter Maus ) writes:
FDR wrote:
"RHF" wrote in message
ups.com...

The "Handles" were in style at the time of manufacture.

So just asthetics.

Not exclusively. The forward handles, were common on radios with
a high profile and gross weight. In the event of a tip over, they
prevented the knobs/switches from being crushed, broken or the face
cracked.

Then wouldn't that be a "rollbar" and not a handle?
Michael

Old July 15th 05, 05:27 PM
D Peter Maus

Michael Black wrote:
D Peter Maus ) writes:

FDR wrote:

"RHF" wrote in message
groups.com...

The "Handles" were in style at the time of manufacture.

So just asthetics.

Not exclusively. The forward handles, were common on radios with
a high profile and gross weight. In the event of a tip over, they
prevented the knobs/switches from being crushed, broken or the face
cracked.

Then wouldn't that be a "rollbar" and not a handle?
Michael

Only if you'd pick up a Cobra by the fixture behind the driver's
seat.

Old July 15th 05, 11:18 PM
RM MS

There are no bids yet on that GE radio, and I'd buy it in a second, if I
did not already have one of these excellent instruments. I prefer it to
any recent Superradio I've seen, and the sound is pwerful and clear.
Constructon includes a die-cast frame as a speaer baffle and antenna
counterpoise. This is no piece of junk like the new Superradios; tuning
is smooth and spread out well, even into theupper end of the
(non-expanded) band, and it is stable, not drifting off like the new
SR's because of crappy mechanicals and microscopic bandspread. I have
had this one for maybe 5 years, bought it at a garage sale for $10 and
used it daily ever since (like right now). There was an excellent
website telling the development and some design principles of this
radio, but I cannot find it right now. It was written by one fthe cheif
designers and also tells of the state of GE at the time. Very
interesting. This radio was intended from the start to be a classic for
its time and beyond. If anybody has the model number, use that for a
Google search and the site will show up. There is no model numer on the
radio, but Iran across one on another radio site and went from there.
I'd gladly spend $30 or more for this old radio, it is so good. Don't
miss your chance (no, that is no mine on ebay, mine is playing softly on
the table on my back porch, like it is every day). And, I am not
selling mine, don't ask.

Old July 15th 05, 11:25 PM
RM MS

cuhulin wrote:"It doesn't take long for those leather handles and
leather radio cases to rot away . . ."
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
How long,35 or 40 years? I'fd write a letter.

Old July 16th 05, 01:25 AM
Tony Meloche

The very last issue of "White's Radio Log" I ever saw (which I bought
at a newstand in May, 1986) has that radio on the cover. It was a
classic - used to see them frequently.

Tony

Old July 16th 05, 02:06 AM

I don't know,but I read years ago the first so-called GE "super radios"
were the best ones.
cuhulin

Old July 16th 05, 02:11 AM

I never bid on anything on ebay or any online auctions.Now,if a seller
on ebay has something I am interested in and if he or she includes his
or her email address,I might,just might,email that person and make an
offer,take it or leave it.Actually,I despise auctions.
cuhulin

Old July 16th 05, 02:19 AM

I own an old Sears Travler big old heavy,and I do mean heavy,multiband
radio that is outstanding at picking up long distance AM radio
stations.I bought that radio for $2.00 at a Goodwill thrift store store
about eight years ago.Trouble is,the on/off/volume control has just
about gone bonkers.I can get it to work,but I have to mess around with
it for a hundred years.I am hell when I am well,trouble is,I stay sick
all the time :{)
cuhulin