Old July 16th 05, 05:49 PM
Whats_Your_Agenda

Default Thousands of Overseas Chinese Consulates Workers Waiting to Escape

CHICAGO - Li Youyuang (an alias), a former Chinese consulate worker in
Eastern Europe talked with The Epoch Times about his views on Chinese
defector and former diplomat, Chen Yonglin, and the attitudes of workers
inside Chinese consulates.

ET: As a former Chinese consulate worker, what are your views regarding Chen
Yonglin’s defection [from the Chinese Communist Party (CCP)]?

Li: I think this situation is in fact typical. It seems extraordinary to the
general public, but those of us on the inside know that there are many “Chen
Yonglins” out there just waiting to happen. It’s my understanding that many
Chinese consulate workers, especially those in western countries, are just
waiting for their chance to escape to freedom. None of them really wish to
continue working for a government that is an enemy to its own people. The
fact is, that the CCP maintains very tight control over its consulate
employees, and guards itself against possible defections, leaving very few
opportunities to escape. What Chen did was extremely difficult. The others
are searching for all sorts of ways to do what he did, and will continue to
do so, though few have successfully managed to escape overseas after
returning to China.

Chen is a visible representative of the many Chinese who wish to distance
themselves from the corrupt CCP. All can see that the CCP has been opposed
by the masses and deserted by its own people, and will not survive much
longer. In the near future, I believe more “Chen Yonglins” will surface.
This will soon become a very common phenomenon and no one will be surprised.

Overseas Workers Have Been Brainwashed

ET: Chen once said, “Consulate workers have a severe case of split
personality.” Based on your past experience working inside a consulate, is
this the case?

Li: In my opinion, his statement is basically true because consulate workers
have to go through brainwashing sessions in China before coming overseas.
For example, they are instilled with the “10 Prohibitions on Disciplines For
Foreign Affairs,” such as the prohibition to spend the night outside the
compound, a curfew of 11:00 p.m., the prohibition to read anti-Chinese
magazines or newspapers, etc. And what exactly are anti-Chinese
publications? Almost all materials that publish the truth are considered
anti-Chinese.

If one is caught reading those materials, it is considered going against
orders and he or she will face disciplinary actions. If I were to report on
someone for reading such anti-Chinese publications, I would receive
benefits. All of the workers are well aware of the situation so there is
much fear.

Are there ever times when people can let down their guard at work? Yes, but
only when playing mahjong, cards, or chess during recess. People’s behavior
is most scrutinized when it concerns something specific that is said, what
is done at work, and leaving the compound.

Every one of these workers has a conscience and knows the right thing to do,
but they are kept from following their own moral guidance, because of fears
for their families’ well being. They know that there would be economic
repercussions for their actions and so they don’t dare act.

If it weren’t for the brainwashing they would be able to see things from a
broader perspective and would find the courage to act.

Chinese Consulates Have Tightened Regulations

ET: As you just mentioned, if the desire to resign is widespread among
consulate workers, then following Chen’s case, what measures will the
Chinese consulates take?

L: I would say that the lives and jobs of all consulate workers in Western
countries will be even more difficult and they will be forced to undergo
further brainwashing. Beijing’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs will send harsh
orders for dealing with the situation. The number of rules and prohibitions
are bound to increase exponentially, and the barrier between people’s hearts
will be even greater.

From what I know, the consulates have already implemented tighter security
measures. I have a friend who works for the Chinese consulate in New York. A
while back, I wanted to meet with him for a drink and catch up, but he said,
“I’m very sorry but leaving the compound is no longer permitted at night. I’
m sorry. We’ll meet some other time.”

http://english.epochtimes.com/news/5-7-15/30357.html