Old July 24th 05, 06:21 PM

Actually, an Eton employee has been using one of the new E1's for
several weeks now and says it surpasses the Satellit 800. Remember,
the new E1 has THREE bandwidths, a FAST/SLOW AGC, selectable sideband
sync detection, as well as PASSBAND tuning. So the set is actually
somewhere between the Drake SW8 and the Drake R8B.

I'd love to believe this that the E1 will be this good. However, a long
list of bells and whistles doesn't mean much, as they're often tacked
onto a receiver that's unable to do them justice. In many cases, you'll
hear far more on a qualify receiver that *lacks* those bells and
whistles, like the Lowe HF-150.

But even if the E1 turns out to be problem free, it's in all likelihood
a mistake to even utter its name in the same sentence as the R8B.

The only main
features missing on this portable are a Noise Blanker and extra
bandwidth filters for CW reception. It is also missing a ferrit
antenna for MW reception but instead uses the whip antenna, as does the
Drake SW8. I would have preferred a large ferrit antenna for complete
portability rather than have to hook up a loop or other external
antenna for MW DXing. This should be (and I am told IS) a killer
portable.

The reason given to me as to why the delays -- they are working out all
quality control issues BEFORE they release any production units for
retail as they don't want a repeat of what happened when the Satellit
800 came out.

Even so, the fact that this thing has been in the works for what...ten
years...does not inspire confidence.

Steve

Old July 24th 05, 06:24 PM

I guess the extent of Drake's involvement is one of the big questions
here, isn't it? My understanding is that the E1 will not be sold by
Drake; nor will Drake promote it in any way. This makes me suspect that
Drake's about as involved with the E1 as Grundig was involved with the
Satellit 800. Eton is just fond of riding on other manufacturer's long
coat tails.

Steve

Old July 24th 05, 06:49 PM

There used to be a Sharper Image store at Northpark Mall
www.visitnorthpark.com about thirteen miles North/Northeast of me at
1200 East County Line Road in Ridgeland.The only Sharper Image thingy I
see in my phonebook now is Sharper Image Hail Salon at 3721 West
Northside Drive Phone number is 601 366 7977.Hmmmm,Sharper Image women?
cuhulin

Old July 24th 05, 10:39 PM
Lucky

wrote in message
oups.com...

wrote:
[...]

I dunno on this one yet Steve. Eton might want to hit the market with a
perfect radio with fantastic working features and ready to sell in fast
steady volume. I think they just put so much time, effort and improvements
into it that there is just no way it will be a dud. I bet this radio becomes
the next best thing to own.

Plus, if the fancy hits you one day,
you can subscribe to XM sat radio also.
I also wouldn't be surprised if XMSR had a hand into offering improvements
of this radio as well as possible resourses.

Anyway I have faith in this one and will buy it the day it's availible for
sale. I'll have 2 months to see if I like it also. That's a perfect amount
of time to use a receiver every day to see if you really like it. I'm
actually excited about getting it!

Lucky

Old July 25th 05, 12:28 AM

I'm sure Eton wants this thing to be a success. I'd like it to succeed
too, for that matter, as it would help the hobby. However, in my
opinion, if Eton really wants the E1 to succeed, they should bring the
price down....and I mean WAY down. When I could buy an RX-320D for
around $350, it's awfully hard for me to rationalize buying the E1
unless I just really, really need portability. And I don't think there
are very many people out there who need the portability so badly that
they'd spend that much more money for what is ultimately a lesser
receiver.

Given what the E1 promises to deliver in the way of performance, I
think it should go for around $250 and certainly not for more than
$300. I mean, at the end of the day this receiver is a portable. It's
not an R8B; it's not a 7030+; it's not an HF-150. It's a portable
receiver with some extra doodads tacked on. I'd be willing to bet that
my Sony SW77 could run rings around it on shortwave, but I hope I'm
wrong.

Steve

Old July 25th 05, 01:14 AM

I just now checked www.jr.com and they have the Sony 7600 GR radios
for sale for $149.88.Looks like a good deal to me.
cuhulin

Old July 25th 05, 03:43 PM
Lucky

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Well Steve

it's too late for me. I already orded one from the Sharper Image. $500 plus
$26 shipping and tax comes to a grand total of $563. They have a $20 off
$100 coupon but wouldn't honor it for the radio giving me some excuse the
"manufacturer" won't allow it. Nor will they honor the free shipping off $50
order. Problem is it's not online yet. Phone orders only right now.

What can you do. The good part is I have one on the way and have a local SI
rifht near me. If I don't like it within 60 days, it goes back. I'm happy I
orderd it. The radio does more for me then those pieces of paper called
money. Plus, I hardly ever treat myself to anything good.
Hope it a good receiver!!!!!

Lucky

Old July 25th 05, 06:52 PM
Michael Lawson

"Telamon" wrote in message
In article ,
"Brian Denley" wrote:

Lucky wrote:

Also, SI has a 60 day return policy at least here in Miami so if

don't like after 2 months, it just goes back. With slectable

sideband
on it, I can't want to try it. Plus sat radio if you want it one

day.

Lucky

Has anyone ever heard of non-selectable sideband?

The original Drake R8.

Weren't the 2010 and NRD-535 as well??

--Mike L.

Old July 25th 05, 07:02 PM
Michael Lawson

wrote in message
ups.com...

Actually, an Eton employee has been using one of the new E1's for
several weeks now and says it surpasses the Satellit 800. Remember,
the new E1 has THREE bandwidths, a FAST/SLOW AGC, selectable

sideband
sync detection, as well as PASSBAND tuning. So the set is actually
somewhere between the Drake SW8 and the Drake R8B. The only main
features missing on this portable are a Noise Blanker and extra
bandwidth filters for CW reception. It is also missing a ferrit
antenna for MW reception but instead uses the whip antenna, as does

the
Drake SW8. I would have preferred a large ferrit antenna for

complete
portability rather than have to hook up a loop or other external
antenna for MW DXing. This should be (and I am told IS) a killer
portable.

The Sat 800 had three bandwidths, Fast/Slow AGC,
and SSB sync. Only addition is passband tunig.

The reason given to me as to why the delays -- they are working out

all
quality control issues BEFORE they release any production units for
retail as they don't want a repeat of what happened when the

Satellit
800 came out.

We'll see. IIRC, the Sat 800 took awhile to get to
market too.

--Mike L.

Old July 25th 05, 08:54 PM
Lucky

"Lucky" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

That free shipping offer can be used if you tell them you'll order a $500
item only if you get that free shipping deal. Tell them paying tax is
enough. That's you're not going pay for shipping also and to honor that
coupon. So that should bring the price down to $535 with tax.

Lucky