Old July 26th 05, 03:00 AM
Yodar

mike0219116 wrote:
I think it has a chance to be a good radio, especially with Drake's
engineering behind it. However, it's ultimate success will depend on
whether Tecsun can maintain some semblance of QC. The endless delays
probably have more to do with this variable than anything else.

Brian Hill wrote:

"mike0219116" wrote in message
roups.com...

Now it's August 5, 2005.

http://universal-radio.com/catalog/portable/0101.html

That radio I predict will be mediocre at best.

--
73 and good DX. B.H.
Brian's Radio Universe

One of the things that appeals to me about a radio design is it user
friendliness...The older SAT 800 appeared at least ready to run without
the "destructions"

THIS one looks very unfiendly. I agree it will suffer poor buyer
response from the O.F.'s....

The techie kids might eat it up but they aren't trending towards SW
interest anyway, and it doesnt have a CD burner so it's DOA

Yodar
Old July 27th 05, 01:19 PM
Lucky

"Lucky" wrote in message

"Lucky" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm sure Eton wants this thing to be a success. I'd like it to succeed
too, for that matter, as it would help the hobby. However, in my
opinion, if Eton really wants the E1 to succeed, they should bring the
price down....and I mean WAY down. When I could buy an RX-320D for
around $350, it's awfully hard for me to rationalize buying the E1
unless I just really, really need portability. And I don't think there
are very many people out there who need the portability so badly that
they'd spend that much more money for what is ultimately a lesser
receiver.

Given what the E1 promises to deliver in the way of performance, I
think it should go for around $250 and certainly not for more than
$300. I mean, at the end of the day this receiver is a portable. It's
not an R8B; it's not a 7030+; it's not an HF-150. It's a portable
receiver with some extra doodads tacked on. I'd be willing to bet that
my Sony SW77 could run rings around it on shortwave, but I hope I'm
wrong.

Steve

Well Steve

it's too late for me. I already orded one from the Sharper Image. $500
plus $26 shipping and tax comes to a grand total of $563. They have a $20
off $100 coupon but wouldn't honor it for the radio giving me some excuse
the "manufacturer" won't allow it. Nor will they honor the free shipping
off $50 order. Problem is it's not online yet. Phone orders only right
now.

What can you do. The good part is I have one on the way and have a local
SI rifht near me. If I don't like it within 60 days, it goes back. I'm
happy I orderd it. The radio does more for me then those pieces of paper
called money. Plus, I hardly ever treat myself to anything good.
Hope it a good receiver!!!!!

Lucky

That free shipping offer can be used if you tell them you'll order a $500
item only if you get that free shipping deal. Tell them paying tax is
enough. That's you're not going pay for shipping also and to honor that
coupon. So that should bring the price down to $535 with tax.

Lucky

OK, the E1 is now on the Sharper Image web site but you have to do a search
for "shortwave" to bring it up. There are two coupons but it looks like
only the free shipping one works which is the best one anyhow. You save the
most since shipping is like $26-$30. PLus they have them in stock. I ordered
on Mon, it went out yesterday from Arkansas and will be here this friday!!!

Here are the coupons guys. First click on the coupn itself and it will open
up the SI website. Then do a search for "shortwave" and order. The shipping
will now be free. Have fun.

$20 off $100:
http://www.sharperimage.com/ls_0805_20off100/

Free shipping:
http://www.sharperimage.com/ls_0805_fsh50/

Lucky

Old July 27th 05, 05:10 PM
mike0219116

Thanks for being a beta tester!

Old July 27th 05, 05:14 PM
dxAce

mike0219116 wrote:

Thanks for being a beta tester!

Yeah, can't wait to see if he really whines about it.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old July 27th 05, 07:27 PM
Lucky

"mike0219116" wrote in message
ups.com...
Thanks for being a beta tester!

No problem. I can beta test for 60 days before I decide to keep it. But, I
think this radio is going to be good. It will probably be used more as a
desktop radio then a portable. If you check out the features, you'll see it
has a lot going for it if they all work well.

Lucky

Old July 28th 05, 04:53 PM
Lucky

wrote in message
[...]

I completely agree $500 may be over priced, but I don't know that yet. Plus,
I hear it's just too big to be a real portable in the sense of being easily
carried around. I bought it more for home use then outside. I really don't
want to lug a $500 radio around outdoors. I will take it out, but I'll most
likely use it at home with a good antenna.

This radio has been in production so long, I'm sure they got it right. What
I think may happen, or may have happened already is the radio has a DRM
jack. The guy that bought it is a novice and said he couldn't really comment
on the radio's
SW abilities.

Now that would bring the receiver up to date and be very useful. I hope
there is a DRM jack. I haven't read a review on it yet. Or, maybe the next
production will have DRM.

Lucky

Old July 28th 05, 05:09 PM
Lucky

wrote in message
[...]

if you read the specs on Eton's website, it has Double sideband sync like
only the HF-150 had.

"Single Sideband Synchronous AM Detector: selectable USB/LSB or double
sideband to minimize adjacent frequency interference and fading distortion
of AM signals."

http://heh.pl/&OY

Lucky

Old July 28th 05, 05:21 PM

Well, for your sake I hope it's a winner. I agree that it's too large
to carry around very often. I also wonder if the build quality would
tolerate such wear and tear. It's a relatively large receiver and its
case appears to be plastic. While plastic is usually just fine, when
its used to construct larger radios it can bend, creak and produce a
'cheap' feel and appearance...this was one minor gripe I had about the
Sat 800--though fortunately the E1 will be nowhere near the size of the
800.

I guess they can't all be built like the HF-150....sigh.

Steve