Old July 25th 05, 07:38 PM
lsmyer

Default Future of radio becoming a lot less fuzzy

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory...inment/3277086

Interesting article about High Definition radio. The article ends with the
following quote: "...eventually, stations will broadcast only digitally --
Stearn says that point probably won't be reached for 15 years -- and every
radio you now own will become a useless relic that you'll try to unload on
eBay."

Before you start selling all your analog radios, please understand that the
speaker of the quote was Vicki Stearn, a spokesman for iBiquity, whose
future depends upon HD radio becoming popular.

My guess is that analog radio will outlive iBiquity.

Old July 25th 05, 07:49 PM
David

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 14:38:19 -0400, "lsmyer"
wrote:

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory...inment/3277086

Interesting article about High Definition radio. The article ends with the
following quote: "...eventually, stations will broadcast only digitally --
Stearn says that point probably won't be reached for 15 years -- and every
radio you now own will become a useless relic that you'll try to unload on
eBay."

Before you start selling all your analog radios, please understand that the
speaker of the quote was Vicki Stearn, a spokesman for iBiquity, whose
future depends upon HD radio becoming popular.

My guess is that analog radio will outlive iBiquity.

IBOC was the dumbest idea ever. The NAB didn't want a regular DAB
type infrastructure because it meant every station had equal
facilities. Dumb asses. Now they have 250 new competitors in every
single market due to SDARS.

Old July 25th 05, 08:01 PM

And then there's the damned LARRS. By the time the KJIO distributed
their EEW materials to UUYPOO, almost ever RROLP in North America had
gone over to the IIU. I was so disgusted, I wrote a letter to the
JJKKL.

Steve

Old July 25th 05, 08:40 PM

So long as we're talking about satellite radio, you needn't bother to
explain.

Steve

Old July 25th 05, 09:06 PM
David

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 12:43:24 -0700, "John Smith"
wrote:

lsmyer:

As usual, a model for amateur radio has already been established. As soon as it dawns upon the citizens there, they will be able to implement those models, and yes, once again, claim to have "developed them."

"The model?", you ask. Why it is the internet. Already there, the citizens are not slaving under any un-workable equip., software, methods, or conditions. Now, a work-a-like only needs to be setup and established for amateur radio.

John

"lsmyer" wrote in message ...
http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory...inment/3277086

Interesting article about High Definition radio. The article ends with the
following quote: "...eventually, stations will broadcast only digitally --
Stearn says that point probably won't be reached for 15 years -- and every
radio you now own will become a useless relic that you'll try to unload on
eBay."

Before you start selling all your analog radios, please understand that the
speaker of the quote was Vicki Stearn, a spokesman for iBiquity, whose
future depends upon HD radio becoming popular.

My guess is that analog radio will outlive iBiquity.

Amateurs are free to use digital methods are they not?

Old July 26th 05, 12:52 AM
David

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 13:12:11 -0700, "John Smith"
wrote:

David:

Oh, you missed my meaning...

I mean casual chat chans, dating chans, "verbal newsgroups" (with data too), etc, etc...

There is a bit of technology already on amateur radio which is sufficient to get it all up and running, it is the methods of use which require the first upgrades...

John

"lsmyer" wrote in message ...
http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory...inment/3277086

Interesting article about High Definition radio. The article ends with the
following quote: "...eventually, stations will broadcast only digitally --
Stearn says that point probably won't be reached for 15 years -- and every
radio you now own will become a useless relic that you'll try to unload on
eBay."

Before you start selling all your analog radios, please understand that the
speaker of the quote was Vicki Stearn, a spokesman for iBiquity, whose
future depends upon HD radio becoming popular.

My guess is that analog radio will outlive iBiquity.

Amateurs are free to use digital methods are they not?

Packet radio is pretty digital.

Old July 26th 05, 04:13 PM
Pete KE9OA

Oh, thos iBoc folks..............I called them about a year ago, asking them
about their system. When they explained the virtues of their system, and
what a good deal it was, I asked them how they were going to handle the
multipath effects of evening propagation. I also explained to them that I
didn't thing it was such a good for people to actually have to pay money out
of their own pockets for a system that actually takes three channels of
spectrum space for one of their transmissions.
They never did respond to my e-mail. I guess they didn't have an answer.
Might have been too busy paying Vicki Stearn.

Pete