Old July 31st 05, 03:57 PM
Heeksbleek

Default Sony ICF -2001,

My 20 year Sony ICF-2001 recently started for it-self. In the morning
it was lud playing whilst the on/off switch was down.

Later, when it happened more the sound became only al loud
rushshshshshshshs. Switching the radio on and using the preset buttons
or the usual blackbuttons did not gave any normal reaction.

Later also the figures on the display disaperared.

Does this mean the final recycling or can a Sony ICF-2001 used more
than only 20 years ?

Heeksbleek

Old July 31st 05, 04:08 PM

Heeksbleek,sounds to me like you need to send that radio to a repair
shop.
cuhulin

Old July 31st 05, 04:10 PM

There are a few guys whom get to this news group and I definetly believe
they can repair your radio for you.
cuhulin

Old July 31st 05, 08:20 PM
danyexp

Sounds like the CPU is finally going. Not unusual at all for 25 year old
early generation microprocessor controlled radios.

I've got a nice working 2001 I'd gladly sell you, but their resale value on
Ebay is dismal and I'm not letting mine go for the petty $30 to $50 they
normally bring. In all honesty, you'd probably be better off with a Grundig
YB400 or something mainstream in the $100 new range.

ups.com...

Old July 31st 05, 11:37 PM
MC

wrote in message
Heeksbleek,sounds to me like you need to send that radio to a repair
shop.
cuhulin

Either that or send out for an exorcist.

MC

Old August 1st 05, 05:05 AM
Rob Mills

"Heeksbleek" wrote in message
ups.com...

Later also the figures on the display disaperared.

Have you replaced the two AA computer batteries? I have two 2001's and they
get weird when the AA's get low. RM~

Old August 1st 05, 02:31 PM

My webtv wireless keyboard and my webtv wireless hand held (I can type
with my hand held remote control with an onscreen keyboard if I wasnt
to,but that is too slow) remote control gets weird when the batteries
get low.Of course I blame all of my mistyping/typos on my keyboard,but
that is par for the course.
cuhulin

Old August 1st 05, 08:15 PM
John S.

Heeksbleek wrote:
My 20 year Sony ICF-2001 recently started for it-self. In the morning
it was lud playing whilst the on/off switch was down.

Later, when it happened more the sound became only al loud
rushshshshshshshs. Switching the radio on and using the preset buttons
or the usual blackbuttons did not gave any normal reaction.

Later also the figures on the display disaperared.

Does this mean the final recycling or can a Sony ICF-2001 used more
than only 20 years ?

Heeksbleek

Well, try the inexpensive solutions first. I'm not sure if you are
talking about the original 2001 or the european version of the 2010
which was also numbereed 2001.

Anyway, if the radio has a reset button, try pressing that. Also try
removing all batteries for long enough to allow the clock and memories
to reset.

If that doesn't work, and the radio has a lot of emotional value for
you then seek a good repair shop for an estimate.

Otherwise, look for a newer radio. Either the latest Sony 7700 or the
Degen DE1103 would provide excellent reception and features for the
money.

Unfortunately I think you are seeing the downside to radios that run
from IC's, synthesized tuners and use electronic displays. When they
die the only salvation is another parts radio. At todays prices for
new receivers many of the older radios are really not worth fixing.