Old August 3rd 05, 06:03 AM
mike maghakian

Default lesson on logic as pertaining to the E1

remember logic from school ?????

if all quality communications receivers don't have a built in ferrite MW
antenna
AND
the E1 is used almost exclusively as a base station like most communications
receivers
THEN
it doesn't matter if the E1 has no ferrite MW antenna built in

make sense class ???????????

Old August 3rd 05, 06:55 AM

I never went to any kind of radio school,so I dont know.How about this
"logic"? World turning back on American brands.Article is at
www.worldnetdaily.com If that radio was an American brand name
radio,would it sell elsewhere around the World?
cuhulin

Old August 3rd 05, 09:38 AM
Pete KE9OA

No, it doesn't make sense. If the radio is in portable form, I believe it
should have an internal ferrite antenna. My guess is that the designers
didn't want to go through the effort to provide the required shielding in
order to make this possible.
I have built several MW receivers and I know that you really need to shield
and decouple the control circuitry in order to not have harmonics of the
clock, broadband noise, etc from being picked up by the loopstick antenna.
You need to have worst case radiation of less than .2uV to make the receiver
usable. I've been there, done that.

Pete

Old August 4th 05, 05:25 AM
mike maghakian

in that case, I would rather have no antenna than a bad one !

thanks for the lesson !

Old August 4th 05, 07:10 AM
Pete KE9OA

I understand why you feel that way Mike, but it is still possible to have a
good internal antenna. I think that the goal was to make this radio as
cheaply as possible (not a bad thing in itself). I will end up picking up
one of them as a fun to play with "toy". Right now, the Grundig 3400 is my
current "toy", but moods change from time to time.
I am waiting for them to come out with an active antenna for this model.
Part of the plan with some of these radios seems to be the money that can be
made on the "add-ons". Still, it would be interesting to see the schematic
(ha! that will be the day!)

Pete

Old August 4th 05, 03:25 PM

mike maghakian wrote:
in that case, I would rather have no antenna than a bad one !

We need to keep in mind that Drake had a part in designing the E1 as
with the Satellit 800. Remember, the Satellit 800 is basically a Drake
SW8 with a larger speaker and an ADDED FERRIT ANTENNA. The Drake SW8
had NO ferrit antenna but rather used the internal whip antenna for MW
reception.

In my particular case, the two distant MW stations I listen two during
daytime hours come in without any co-channel interference on my car
radio, which uses a whip antenna.

Of course a ferrit antenna would be nice for direction and interference
nulling, but in my case I always have to turn the radio to an odd
position for reception of the stations I listen to. For me, the whip
will actually be better, and I will use an external loop for other
dxing.

Old August 4th 05, 04:52 PM
John S.

mike maghakian wrote:
remember logic from school ?????

Yes, I do. They were interesting courses taught by bearded professors
who were probably beatniks in an earlier life.

if all quality communications receivers don't have a built in ferrite MW
antenna

There are (actually were) several companies that made quality receivers
capable of AM, FM and shortwave broadcast reception. And there are
some truly trashy receivers capable of shortwave only reception.

AND
the E1 is used almost exclusively as a base station like most communications
receivers

I'm not sure what the definition of base station receiver really is,
but I'm assuming it is one that can be powered by AC and set on a
table. Many of us also listen to SW as well as AM and FM on receivers
that sit on desks.

THEN
it doesn't matter if the E1 has no ferrite MW antenna built in

This doesn't follow. If you want to play logic then drag out your venn
diagrams and start mapping the various kinds of receivers and find the
overlaps. You hopefully will find that not all quality shortwave
receivers are limited to only hf reception. You will also find that
there is a small subset with coverage limited to the HF spectrum.

make sense class ???????????