Old August 3rd 05, 04:22 PM
yachtboy!

On Wed, 3 Aug 2005 09:19:35 -0400, "Lucky"
wrote:

It doesn't
belong here. I remember when I first started out and came here, RHF and many
others were such great help to me and answered all my questions for me. RHF
was right up there with his good natured heart and helpful ways. I even was
talking about radio with Dxace and he gave me good radio advice too.

So what happened that took these good natured people into the realm of
limited vocabulary and constant insults towards those they disagree
with?
It seems to me they have been making their own beds for quite a while.
Not once have I ever been a witness to either one admitting they were
perhaps wrong about something, or even willing to admit that maybe
someone else had a viable point of view.
Instead all we hear is " 'tards" and "tote that ...".
I'm sure they're lovely human beings, but they haven't a clue as to
how to behave in public.
Yes this is a sw group, it's too bad certain people like to intimidate
others (to the point they leave, thus making the group less that what
it could be).
And all of this is a shame, because with the knowledge these
individuals posses, and the passion they exhibit towards it, they
could be instrumental in reaching new listeners.
But they choose to denigrate anyone who may seem to be a little
different than they are.
If shortwave listening is dying, it is in part to people like these,
who care not a whit about the hobby, only how important they look.
And if they are the shining examples of today's modern Republican
party, the Republican party is in a lot worse shape than most people
realize.

==========
"Being diabetic is alot like having an un-invited
guest at a picnic, who keeps pointing out the potato
salad may have gone bad."--W.B. Willis
Old August 3rd 05, 04:32 PM
David

Default My Only Regret

On Wed, 3 Aug 2005 09:19:35 -0400, "Lucky"
wrote:

Guys,

this is a SW newsgroup and politics has nothing to do with it. It doesn't
belong here. I remember when I first started out and came here, RHF and many
others were such great help to me and answered all my questions for me. RHF
was right up there with his good natured heart and helpful ways. I even was
talking about radio with Dxace and he gave me good radio advice too.

Now, with all the OT political posts, including mine recently, the radio
hobby friendships I had have been somewhat ruined. I hope not, but it's hard
to take back bad feelings especially personal political stuff.

I feel badly about all this cause in reality our posts will not change
anything except cause strong emotions and bitter feelings. Even though Mark
Holden is a very intelligent and understanding person, I can't help but see
these arguments causing mixed feelings between us. I hope not I truly do. I
have not changed my feelings towards him in any way whatsoever.

So, I think it's best to get back to what we're all really here for, radio
fun!!!!!!!
Rah rah turn that knob!!!!!

I mean what good does all these political posts do actually? All it does is
divide people and causes hate. Do we really need this in our lives? Many of
us are getting up there in age and we definitely don't need this
aggravation.

It's a tit for tat game that's all. Sure we can still discuss politics but
in the proper group for it if we chose to do so. I know, I'm one to talk
after all my postings and rantings but then it hit me how the good times
were so much better then this and how it turned into a mess.

I don't want to blame anyone else for my posts, but it all started with
people dropping in here JUST to post their agenda. It's hard not to get
involved after reading one these OT posts. You just naturally want to voice
your opinions. I'm going to try and stay out of these types of posts now. In
the end I see no point in them for this SHORTWAVENEWSGROUP.

Sorry
Lucky

These are extraordinary times. We are under siege and unless we
resist the fascists they will make your shortwave radio illegal.

There are already laws drafted that make listening outside broadcast
bands verboten.

Old August 3rd 05, 04:45 PM

Those are laws. That's just your user agreement with Sirius.

Old August 3rd 05, 04:47 PM

Those aren't laws. That's just your user agreement with Sirius.

Old August 3rd 05, 05:12 PM
Andrew Oakley

On Wed, 03 Aug 2005 15:32:38 GMT, David wrote:
These are extraordinary times. We are under siege and unless we
resist the fascists they will make your shortwave radio illegal.

Maybe in your country, but not in mine. So, would you mind awfully if
you used an appropriate local/regional/national newsgroup to talk
about your local laws and politics please? Cheers, mate.

Shortwave propogates. Politics doesn't.

--
Andrew Oakley andrew/atsymbol/aoakley/stop/com

Old August 3rd 05, 05:13 PM
Lucky

"MnMikew" wrote in message

"Lucky" wrote in message
[...]

Truce. So, have you hooked up an external antenna to that X1 yet?

Yes truce. I apologize to you.

OK, I did hook up an external antenna a couple days ago. My antenna ends in
a male RCA plug for simplicity so all I needed was 2 adapters. One was the
Pal adapter that ends in a female coax and the other was a male coax to RCA
female. All I had to do was plug my dipole and { 4:1 current balun} into it.
I use RCA cause my first rig was a FRG-7700 and I needed a preamp/tuner for
it. The preamp I bought was the Ameco TPA that uses RCA jacks. I got used to
it and never changed the end on the antenna.

Also this way, I can plug and unplug my balun into it for different radios.
Like the Ten Tec 320D doesn't like the balun at all. Either does the FRG-7.

When I hook up more serious rigs like the R75 and Lowe HF-150, I use a
regular PL-259 connection. But for the E1, I never saw that KOK cable for it
{Pal to SO-239}. No biggie. I'll buy that cable one day soon.

All I can say is this radio is really quality. It's not a rinky dinky
receiver like some people may think it is. Everything on it is quality
except they could have made the tiny buttons for the menu, AM sync etc
slightly bigger and lighted but you get used to it quickly enough. The sound
is very good, sync and DSB work so well you hear a major diff when engaging
them. And the PBT works wonders.

It's actually worth the $500 even without the XM additions. This radio imo
will sell very well once Passport and others review it. Plus, you can
actually use the radio as a portable but I think it's just too good for
that. But if you're camping out or doing an all day hike, you just can't
take anything better with you imo even the Lowe HF-150. The 150 has it's
small size going for it but it's not enough once you use this one.

And with FM also, the whole family and/or friends get their chance to have
some fun after you're finished SWing.

I'd buy it from the Sharper Image and pay tax only to have the 2 whole
months to see if you really, really like it. If you get the free shipping,
and have a local SI in your area, you can give it back there. No cost for
shipping back to them. It's win win deal one way or the other.

I'm so glad we're friends again. It sucks the other way.

Lucky

Old August 3rd 05, 05:19 PM
dxAce

wrote:

It doesn't
belong here. I remember when I first started out and came here, RHF and many
others were such great help to me and answered all my questions for me. RHF
was right up there with his good natured heart and helpful ways. I even was
talking about radio with Dxace and he gave me good radio advice too.

So what happened that took these good natured people into the realm of
limited vocabulary and constant insults towards those they disagree
with?

The 'tards.

It seems to me they have been making their own beds for quite a while.

Mommy hasn't done it for me in years. YMMV

Not once have I ever been a witness to either one admitting they were
perhaps wrong about something, or even willing to admit that maybe
someone else had a viable point of view.

You've simply not paid attention. Figures.

Instead all we hear is " 'tards" and "tote that ...".

If it fits, yes.

I'm sure they're lovely human beings, but they haven't a clue as to
how to behave in public.

And you'd be wrong yet again!

Yes this is a sw group, it's too bad certain people like to intimidate
others (to the point they leave, thus making the group less that what
it could be).

Ha! Imagine intimidating someone via RRS. I ain't buying it, 'tard.

And all of this is a shame, because with the knowledge these
individuals posses, and the passion they exhibit towards it, they
could be instrumental in reaching new listeners.

I'm not in the recruiting biz, sorry.

But they choose to denigrate anyone who may seem to be a little
different than they are.

Yep, gotta call 'em as I see 'em.

Bull****!

And if they are the shining examples of today's modern Republican
party, the Republican party is in a lot worse shape than most people
realize.

Worse shape? Damn, won the last two elections. Once again, you're not paying
attention.

Continue to tote.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

http://www.iserv.net/~n8kdv/dxpage.htm

Old August 3rd 05, 05:36 PM

What is "considered" listening outside of broadcast bands? Listening to
something fed govt "thinks" we dont have the right to listen to? We
absolutely have the right to listen to anything and everything.
cuhulin

Old August 3rd 05, 05:41 PM

I enjoy reading DxAce's "language".
cuhulin

Old August 3rd 05, 06:23 PM
MnMikew

"Lucky" wrote in message

It's actually worth the $500 even without the XM additions. This radio imo
will sell very well once Passport and others review it. Plus, you can
actually use the radio as a portable but I think it's just too good for
that. But if you're camping out or doing an all day hike, you just can't
take anything better with you imo even the Lowe HF-150. The 150 has it's
small size going for it but it's not enough once you use this one.

So what are the dimensions of this beast anyways? I usually take a DX-392 on
camping/hunting trips which is pretty big. So, for 500 bucks would this be a
better buy than say a R75?