Old August 19th 05, 11:02 AM
Teddy Bear

Default Grundig Satellit 800

After some googling I realized Grundig Satellit 800 were highly preciated
receivers (as per they steep prices), how good are they compared to the Sony
7600GR I'm going to buy?

Old August 19th 05, 02:07 PM
Michael Lawson

"Teddy Bear" wrote in message
After some googling I realized Grundig Satellit 800 were highly

preciated
receivers (as per they steep prices), how good are they compared to

the Sony
7600GR I'm going to buy?

I personally like mine, but it was my third SW radio after
some years spent evaluating my likes and dislikes. If
you're interested in a less expensive radio that will do
the job until you're ready to upgrade, stick with the
7600GR.

For one thing, the Sat 800 is big. BIG. As in 80's boom
box big. Another item is that the initial runs were
inconsistent in quality, so having the radio sent to
RL Drake for tweaking was almost mandatory if you
had a dud. There are also numerous birdies around
on the receiver, but that probably wouldn't bug you
too much if you're a casual listener. The balance on that
is that the sound is nice, and with the sync on the
Sat 800 you can eliminate (not completely, but a good
chunk of) a good portion of the problems that make
SW listening less than perfect, like heterodynes and
interference from adjacent stations.

My thinking is that it's a good radio for the price, but
if you're just getting into SW, it's not the one you want
to start with. I cut my teeth on a Realistic DX-440 (the
Sangean ATS-803A that was sold by Radio Shack), and
for the bang for the buck, a DX-440 or a 7600GR is
a good value. My sister in law uses a Sangean 606
for listening to spanish language programming, and
that's another good buy for the money.

If you're getting into shortwave, you could do much
worse (or spend much more money) than a Sony 7600GR.

--Mike L.

Old August 19th 05, 02:28 PM
Simon

I've had both a 7600GR and a Sat 800, at the same time. Get the 7600GR.
Performance-wise, they are in the same ballpark, but the Sat 800 is built
like the cheapest boombox you've ever seen, while the GR packs the same
performance or slightly better in a smaller, well-designed and extremely
well-built package. If you need a larger speaker, just use an external
speaker.

Old August 19th 05, 02:48 PM
John S.

Teddy Bear wrote:
After some googling I realized Grundig Satellit 800 were highly preciated
receivers (as per they steep prices), how good are they compared to the Sony
7600GR I'm going to buy?

Most of us don't really need large radio like the Grundig. It really
isn't portable in the same sense as a Sony 7600 or Degen De1103, but
more luggable or movable. It's strong point is good sound out the
speakers. I would expect that you will hear the same stations on the
Grundig that you will hear on the little Sony. Just plug a set of
headphones into the 7600, enjoy the good sound and start tuning the
bands.

Old August 19th 05, 03:24 PM
David

On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 09:28:18 -0400, "Simon"
wrote:

I've had both a 7600GR and a Sat 800, at the same time. Get the 7600GR.
Performance-wise, they are in the same ballpark, but the Sat 800 is built
like the cheapest boombox you've ever seen, while the GR packs the same
performance or slightly better in a smaller, well-designed and extremely
well-built package. If you need a larger speaker, just use an external
speaker.

I disagree. A refurbed 800 is a superior performer to the Sony
portable. 3 bandwidths, better sync detector, better external antenna
input, better tone controls.

Old August 19th 05, 05:18 PM
RHF

TB,
Old August 19th 05, 06:20 PM
Bill

"John S." wrote in message
ups.com...

Teddy Bear wrote:
After some googling I realized Grundig Satellit 800 were highly preciated
receivers (as per they steep prices), how good are they compared to the
Sony
7600GR I'm going to buy?

Most of us don't really need large radio like the Grundig. It really
isn't portable in the same sense as a Sony 7600 or Degen De1103, but
more luggable or movable. It's strong point is good sound out the
speakers. I would expect that you will hear the same stations on the
Grundig that you will hear on the little Sony. Just plug a set of
headphones into the 7600, enjoy the good sound and start tuning the
bands.

The Sony is a great little radio indeed. The SAT 800 just makes it more
enjoyable listening. With the 800 you can tune stations more precisely to
find that 'sweet spot', which IMO is very important. And the Sync is much
easier to use on the 800. I love my 800, but it cost much more than my
7600GR. For the money I don't think you can beat the 7600GR. But I also
think the 800 is well worth the price.

Bill

Old August 19th 05, 06:23 PM
David

On 19 Aug 2005 09:18:47 -0700, "RHF"
wrote:

TB,
.
I would agree with David and say that the Grundig Satellit 800
Millennium Receiver is the better of the two Radios with the
exception that the Sony ICF-SW7600GR 'portable' Radio is the
better Traveler's {Take-Alone} "Travel Radio" especially when
coupled with the Sony AN-LP1 Active Shortwave Loop Antenna.
.
The other reason I like the Grundig Satellit 800 M is the fact
that it is very easy to see everything with my tired old eyes
and the controls are easy to use with big old fingers.
( A True Senior Citizen Size Radio )
.
IMHO - The Grundig is a great Bedroom (bed-side) Late-Night or
Daytime Kitchen Radio for Broadcast Program Listening (BCL).
.
.
Here are two messages to read from the Shortwave Listerner's
(SWL) Antenna Group on YAHOO ! = http://tinyurl.com/an6tw
.
* Two Radios with AM-SYNC for Nightime "BedSide" Listening
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortw...a/message/3116
.
* Sony ICF-SW7600GR 'portable' -=V=- Grundig Satellit 800
Millennium "Desk Top"
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Shortw...a/message/2502
.
.
iane ~ RHF
.
All are WELCOME and "Invited to Join" the
Shortwave Listener (SWL) Antenna eGroup on YAHOO !
SWL ANTENNAS GROUP = http://tinyurl.com/an6tw
.
Some Say: On A Clear Day You Can See Forever.
.
I BELIEVE: On A Clear Night . . .
You Can Hear Forever and Beyond, The BEYOND !
With a Shortwave Listener SWL Antenna of your own making.
"If You Build It {SWL Antenna} You Will Hear Them !"
.
.
. .

Never travel with a radio you can't afford to lose.

Old August 19th 05, 07:38 PM
Teddy Bear

manufactured, get the 800. If you want the most bang for the buck, get
the 7600.

I would like to get the 7600 (besides the clock, what's upgraded in the
GR?), but I'm unable to find one moderately priced.