Old August 20th 05, 03:44 AM
Michael Black

) writes:
The heterodyne design (expecially the super heterodyne design) was a big
advancement in radios many years ago,wasen't it?
cuhulin

It was a big advance, but it was practically contemporary to the crystal
radio. Howard Armstrong received the patent for the regenerative receiver in
1914. He received the patent for the superheterodyne receiver in 1920.
His superregenerative receiver patent was issued in 1922. His FM patent
came significantly later.

19 years after Marconi spans the Atlantic, and there's a patent for
the superheterodyne receiver. Considering that wasn't a way station
towards future innovation, unlike the regenerative receiver, it
came about a pretty long time ago. Broadcasting as we know it hadn't
come about, if we listen to KDKA's claim of being the first.

Unless you build a receiver using some early concept, you basically
can't use a receiver without benefitting from Armstrong's work.

Michael

Old August 20th 05, 04:48 AM
Pete KE9OA

What you are running to is a characteristic, not a flaw of superheterodyne
receivers. This radio uses high-side local oscillator injection, which in
this case means that the LO is operating 455kHz above the received
frequency.
As an example, if your receiver is tuned to 1000kHz, that means that your LO
is operating at 1455kHz. Since your mixer has two sidebands at its I.F.
output, it can also respond to (1455 + 455kHz), or 1910kHz.
It is up the the tuned circuits ahead of the mixer to provide rejection of
that upper sideband. This is a big reason that double conversion circuits
are used.
If you have a 1st I.F. of 45MHz, for instance, your image response will be
90MHz away from your desired signal. A properly designed low-pass filter
ahead of the 1st mixer provides adequate rejection of this image frequency,
since the image response will be quite far down on the filter slope.
As Mr. Terrel suggested, a notch filter at the offending frequency would
help quite a bit.

Pete

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
Alexander Kozik wrote:

Hi all,

Radio: Tecsun P230. Problem with AM reception (spurious signal?).
There is a strong AM station 50 kW with frequency 1530 kHz within 10
miles.
Tecsun P230 detects this station when it is tuned to 620 kHz.
No other radio detects this station at 620 kHz.
Actually, other radios detect weak distant stations at this frequency.
Obviously, there is something with heterodyne 1530 - 455*2 = 620

Could you explain what is wrong with radio or just point to the
useful web pages that describe the physical/electrical background
of this phenomena. Probably, I am not interested how to fix the problem,
I just want to understand why it happens.

Thanks a lot in advance,

-Alex

A tuned trap on the interfering frequency would help, or completely
eliminate the unwanted sign, if you are using an external antenna

--
Link to my "Computers for disabled Veterans" project website deleted
after threats were telephoned to my church.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

Old August 20th 05, 05:00 AM
Pete KE9OA

That third link is especially good. The second link appears to be a part of
the third link.
Anyway, it gives a good graphical representation of the signals that appear
at the output of a mixer. Once this is visualized, it makes it easier to
understand what is happening. Thanks for the links!

Pete

wrote in message
oups.com...
Alexander Kozik wrote:

Hi all,

Radio: Tecsun P230. Problem with AM reception (spurious signal?).
There is a strong AM station 50 kW with frequency 1530 kHz within 10
miles.
Tecsun P230 detects this station when it is tuned to 620 kHz.
No other radio detects this station at 620 kHz.
Actually, other radios detect weak distant stations at this frequency.
Obviously, there is something with heterodyne 1530 - 455*2 = 620

Could you explain what is wrong with radio or just point to the
useful web pages that describe the physical/electrical background
of this phenomena. Probably, I am not interested how to fix the
problem,
I just want to understand why it happens.

Thanks a lot in advance,
--------------------------------
Simplest answer, your radio converts the incoming RF signal
down to a lowr freqeuncy for improved selectivity. In your
radio this is 455KHz.
See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_response
See:http://www.radio-electronics.com/info/receivers/image_response/image.php
The http://www.radio-electronics.co.uk/info/receivers/ is a prettt
good place for beginers to start learning some of the terms
and concepts in radio reception.

Terry

Old August 20th 05, 01:02 PM

KDKA,Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania.(Pittsburgh once dropped the h,but they got
it back later on) I can pick up KDKA Pittsburgh at night time,of course
it sometimes fades in and out.Pittsburgh got a new "river" recently when
that 34/36 inch pipeline busted.Isn't it funny that some tv stations got
named after some radio stations?
cuhulin

Old August 20th 05, 01:41 PM

Shortwave radio is actually AM radio.
cuhulin

Old August 20th 05, 06:56 PM
Dale Parfitt

wrote in message
Shortwave radio is actually AM radio.
cuhulin

I have no idea what that means, but thanks Pete KE9OAfor supplying the
proper math to answer the original poster's questions.
Answers like:
"Nothing wrong with it. That's how single conversion superhet radios
work."

Do nothing to illuminate the solution or why the problem exists.
Dale W4OP

Old August 21st 05, 11:59 PM
Alexander Kozik

Thank you very much for all your replies. I was very happy to detect an
image signal at 630 kHz of a powerful 1530 kHz station on another
single-conversion radio (RadioShack DX-375). Note, that it was 630 kHz on
DX-375 instead of 620 kHz on Tecsun PL-230. It means that the intermediate
frequency for DX-375 is 450 kHz, for PL-230 it is 455 kHz. There was no
image signal for this 1530 kHz station on a dual conversion radio
ATS-909/DX-398. However, ATS-909/DX-398 detects an image signal at 240 kHz
(long waves) for the powerful 1140 kHz station. I was surprised for a long
time why I can hear radio stations on long waves in the US. I have found
an explanation for this. Thanks again.

-Alex

Old August 22nd 05, 12:25 AM

Let me reach and tune my radio on 630 AM.Nothing there,but on 620 AM is
WJDX, The Score,Sports Radio (the Atlanta Braves program is on there
right now) and that radio station and all of the other radio stations in
this area come in real good and loud. www.devilfinder.com Radio
Stations Jackson Mississippi
cuhulin

DXPEDITION REPORT: Grayland, WA, June 11-12 Guy Atkins Shortwave 0 June 13th 05 04:07 AM
GRAYLAND 2004 FALL DXPEDITION: Compiled Logs for Oct 15-17 (Part 1) 4nradio Shortwave 4 November 1st 04 10:44 PM
spurious signal in IC735 sb General 2 July 1st 04 12:44 PM
Poor quality low + High TV channels? How much dB in Preamp? lbbs Shortwave 16 December 13th 03 03:01 PM