Old September 4th 05, 04:38 AM

Default Drake R8B tuning prob

Hi

My Drake R8B tuning sometimes gets lost when I spin the knob fast.
I'll be going up 7.2, 7.3, 7.4, 7.2 See? I expect this is a pretty
common prob.

Ok so unit is going to go back to Drake for fix and I will tell them to
go thru whole unit and check it out.

Any idea what they will charge me for this?

regards,
Bob

Old September 4th 05, 04:56 AM

It's the crappy mechanical tuning encoder that the tuning knob
operates. Drake should have stayed with the higher quality optical
encoder like the old R-8 had. This problem is common in the SW-2 also
because it uses the same encoder.

Frank

Old September 4th 05, 05:06 AM

Sweet price,

I can get one of the technicians at work to fix for me.

regards,
Bob

Old September 4th 05, 06:11 PM

Drake changed to the mechanical encoder because it was cheaper!

Frank

Old September 4th 05, 07:32 PM
Pete KE9OA

Digi-Key used to have a Grayhill optical encoder in the 30 dollar range. The
mod should be pretty easy. You just need to connect it to a source of +5V
and probably remove the pullup resistors that are connected to the Up/Down
tune lines.

Pete

oups.com...

Old September 4th 05, 10:37 PM

Ok thanks everybody for input. I just sent Drake Email to see what
kind of service they offer. I would like whole unit checked out soup
to nuts. I want to make sure running AOK to present config and so
forth. Unit is very nice and I will probably keep, but if I decide to
sell I would like to tell potential owner that factory has recently
blessed unit.

73
Bob
N9NEO