Old September 4th 05, 04:38 AM

Default Drake R8B tuning prob

Hi

My Drake R8B tuning sometimes gets lost when I spin the knob fast.
I'll be going up 7.2, 7.3, 7.4, 7.2 See? I expect this is a pretty
common prob.

Ok so unit is going to go back to Drake for fix and I will tell them to
go thru whole unit and check it out.

Any idea what they will charge me for this?

regards,
Bob

Old September 4th 05, 04:56 AM

It's the crappy mechanical tuning encoder that the tuning knob
operates. Drake should have stayed with the higher quality optical
encoder like the old R-8 had. This problem is common in the SW-2 also
because it uses the same encoder.

Frank

Old September 4th 05, 05:06 AM

Sweet price,

I can get one of the technicians at work to fix for me.

regards,
Bob

Old September 4th 05, 06:11 PM

Drake changed to the mechanical encoder because it was cheaper!

Frank

Old September 4th 05, 07:32 PM
Pete KE9OA

Digi-Key used to have a Grayhill optical encoder in the 30 dollar range. The
mod should be pretty easy. You just need to connect it to a source of +5V
and probably remove the pullup resistors that are connected to the Up/Down
tune lines.

Pete

oups.com...

Old September 4th 05, 10:37 PM

Ok thanks everybody for input. I just sent Drake Email to see what
kind of service they offer. I would like whole unit checked out soup
to nuts. I want to make sure running AOK to present config and so
forth. Unit is very nice and I will probably keep, but if I decide to
sell I would like to tell potential owner that factory has recently
blessed unit.

73
Bob
N9NEO

Old September 11th 05, 02:26 PM

Here is reply from Drake if anybody interested. I wish I could make
100 bucks an hour fixing radios!

regards,
Bob
N9NEO

The service rate is $25.00 per quarter hour. The average repair time
involved is an hour to two hours. We will align and bring the unit
back to the original specifications. The software, Version 12 is
current. Please enclose a cover letter with your name, address,
telephone number, and a brief description of the fault or reason for
its return. We accept Visa, Master Card, American Express, and
Discover Card.