Old September 4th 05, 01:45 PM
Sanjaya

Default r.r.s filtering

To those considering leaving this group...

I ran OE, clicked newsgroup r.r.e
status said 89 messages not downloaded, I got the headers...
result: 1 on topic unread message
killfile and subject filters deleted 88 messages... about 99%

I've had other similar results, but never 99 percent... more like
60-80 percent, but the point is...
filter and PLONK the crap you don't want to see

Old September 4th 05, 02:23 PM
craigm

Sanjaya wrote:
To those considering leaving this group...

I ran OE, clicked newsgroup r.r.e
status said 89 messages not downloaded, I got the headers...
result: 1 on topic unread message
killfile and subject filters deleted 88 messages... about 99%

I've had other similar results, but never 99 percent... more like
60-80 percent, but the point is...
filter and PLONK the crap you don't want to see

However, for someone visitng the group for the first time this may not
be realistic. A newbie will see politics, name calling, bigotry and
other off topic posts and immeiately write off the group as worthless.

It would be much better if some individuals would have enough respect
for others and not post the garbage that is outside the subject the
group was created for.

Even with filtering, I still see a lot of junk, seriously limiting the
value of this group.

craigm

Old September 4th 05, 02:56 PM
asdf

sanjaya is right. After i apply all the filters to this group I get much
more on topic posts.
Anther alternative would be a moderated newsgroup.

Old September 4th 05, 03:49 PM

I've resisted the idea of a moderated group, but I confess my
resistance is wearing thin.

Old September 4th 05, 03:54 PM

It's a word.

Old September 4th 05, 05:26 PM
dxAce

wrote:

To those considering leaving this group...

I ran OE, clicked newsgroup r.r.e
status said 89 messages not downloaded, I got the headers...
result: 1 on topic unread message
killfile and subject filters deleted 88 messages... about 99%

I've had other similar results, but never 99 percent... more like
60-80 percent, but the point is...
filter and PLONK the crap you don't want to see

What is ''plonk''?

It's the sound YOU make as your body hits the floor after doing to many drugs,
'tard boy.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old September 4th 05, 07:16 PM
Andrew Bunting

craigm wrote:
However, for someone visitng the group for the first time this may not
be realistic. A newbie will see politics, name calling, bigotry and
other off topic posts and immeiately write off the group as worthless.

Yes, I subscribed for the first time last week and was a little
``surprised'' at what I found. I considered dropping the group
but instead spent an evening purging ( not just hiding ) 9000
messages and building a killfile list and now I'm seeing some
interesting stuff.

It's nearly term time, so maybe the noise will drop off soon.

obOnTopic:
So: anyone else here from Ireland? Lincolnshire Poacher is
strong these evenings on 9251...

Thanks

Andrew Bunting
Yes it's a real e-mail address
Old September 4th 05, 08:34 PM
Honus

wrote:

To those considering leaving this group...

I ran OE, clicked newsgroup r.r.e
status said 89 messages not downloaded, I got the headers...
result: 1 on topic unread message
killfile and subject filters deleted 88 messages... about 99%

I've had other similar results, but never 99 percent... more like
60-80 percent, but the point is...
filter and PLONK the crap you don't want to see

What is ''plonk''?

It's the sound someone makes when you throw them into your killfile.

Old September 4th 05, 09:23 PM
lsmyer

The problem with a monitored group like rec.radio.broadcasting is that
sometimes a post takes a day or two before the moderator is able to read it,
approve it, and then allow it to be posted.

Having a time lag would totally eliminate the real time frequency chasing
that happens here sometimes.