RadioBanter

-   -   OK need advice for Dad (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/77763-ok-need-advice-dad.html)

TF September 5th 05 10:58 PM

OK need advice for Dad

My Dad who was a radio man in WWII enjoys his shortwave at bedside.
The following are criteria-
LARGE dials and easier to read, not too complicated
No need for FM quality or super sound system
Had a radio shack I bought years ago and it worked OK until broke
High quality for the money
Price point up to 300 dollars?

I do not know a lot about these radios so any suggestions for radios would
be greatly appreciated!!!
Thanks

Tom

Daniel J. Morlan September 5th 05 11:20 PM

The Grundig Satellit 800 Millennium is a fine radio. Not too complicated,
pretty darned big, and I bought mine brand new on sale for less than
$400.00.

If you're interested, scour the web, and eBay. You might be able to nab it
for less than $300.00.

http://search.ebay.com/search/search...800&category0=

Hope this helps a tad, at least...

DJM

I Love LA September 6th 05 12:52 AM

On Mon, 05 Sep 2005 21:58:30 GMT, "TF"
wrote:

My Dad who was a radio man in WWII enjoys his shortwave at bedside.
The following are criteria-
LARGE dials and easier to read, not too complicated
No need for FM quality or super sound system
Had a radio shack I bought years ago and it worked OK until broke
High quality for the money
Price point up to 300 dollars?

I do not know a lot about these radios so any suggestions for radios would
be greatly appreciated!!!
Thanks

Tom

Eton S350DL for $149.00. See previous post on Eton S350DL for details
on radio and comparison to others.

TF September 6th 05 01:23 AM

Thanks for the options will check both out...
By the way What about the Palstar R30? I know it is expensive but I like the
made in USA part. Will this require an antenna or does it work out of the
box?
I would pay for a unit that is high quality and looks easy to use with a big
knob and few options...
Would this be money best spent for higher quality listening?

Thanks
Tom
. ..