Old September 6th 05, 05:12 AM
SR

Default ETON E100 Radio

I forgot to mention: When the radio start to mess up, I hear a something
like a car motor sound. As if a car is about to start up. That is the
sound.

SR

SR wrote:

I went to Radio Shack today looking for a pocket radio. I came across
the Eton E100 Radio for $99.00. It offers am, fm & many SW bands. (No
Side band).

After I asked the sales person to bring me one of these radios so that I
could read the box, I notice that there was a little tape on the box
saying "power supply not included." Yet, when I opened up the box there
was a space large enough for a power supply. Hmmm!

So I bought the small radio and the power supply for about $15.00.

After leaving the store, I go to a little park to try out the radio. In
the box was a nice little booklet, batteries and ear plugs. The ear
plugs were a bit to big for my ears (and I am a large man), but some how
I got them on. They looked like a rip off copy of AWAI.

The plastic craftsmanship and buttons of the radio is very impressive
looking. After reading the booklet I then turn to 770 am WABC. It came
in good. I then go to other stations both weak & strong. Then FM and
then SW.

Everything was fine. Finally, I turned back to 770 am to listen for a
while as I walked around heading towards the river area. Then all of
the sudden, I hear strong interference and can not hear 770 am. I move
the antenna around, nothing but interference. I change stations, then
bands , reset button, took the batteries out then put them back in, I
even walked away from the area, but nothing but interference all over
the radio.

Finally I turn the thing off and went to McDonnell. Then I turned the
radio back on and everything now was fine.

After I got back home. I tried the radio again. I turn it on to 770
and it came on. But after about 15 minutes the interference came back.
And I go through all of those steps or changes that I already mentioned
above. I even used the power supply. Nothing.

I then realized that I was near my lamp. So I then take the radio to
the other side of the room and I turned it on and it worked until I
tuned on my PC. Then the problem started again.

It seems that the radio as nice as it is, it can not tolerate any
interference.

So, I may just take it back to Radio Shack and get a refund. Or find a
better pocket radio. If not I might exchange it for Grundig S350.

I hope the Grundig S350 is a little better.

SR 73!

Old September 6th 05, 05:34 AM
Conan Ford

The Eton E100 is the same as the Tecsun PL-200. Do a search in this group
and you may find some interesting things.

The Eton E10 is the same as the PL-550. You may find it performs a bit
better than the E100.

The G4000A or YB-400PE will probably perform better in general than both of
these. Also available from Radio Shack.

The S-350 is single conversion super hetrodyne. It is subject to a lot of
images. If the original version (not the 350DL) it will drift a lot as
well. It does have a substantial ferrite bar, although some say that the
350DL is less sensitive than the 350.

Old September 6th 05, 12:27 PM

Suggest taking it back to Rat Shack,
getting a full refund
and then getting the Degen DE1105 ( Double reduction , 1.000 memories &
same size )

Old September 6th 05, 12:37 PM
Buzzygirl

"SR" wrote in message
I forgot to mention: When the radio start to mess up, I hear a something
like a car motor sound. As if a car is about to start up. That is the
sound.

You probably have a defective radio. I'd return it.

Jackie

Old September 7th 05, 12:32 PM
Buzzygirl

"SR" wrote in message

I'm looking for a good pocket radio.

What price range would you consider? I have several ideas if you would be
willing to order online.

Jackie

Old September 7th 05, 12:33 PM
Buzzygirl

"SR" wrote in message
I returned the radio. It was such a cute pocket radio. Why couldn't
they make something like this but more reliable?

I don't know for sure, but I think yours may have been defective.

Have you checked information on the Tecsun PL350? There is also the
Kaito/Degen 1101. Both are small radios, maybe not quite as small as the
E100 though. I have both and both are very reliable small radios, very
portable.

Jackie

Old September 7th 05, 04:34 PM

I own a very good Westinghouse AM/FM/Shortwave shirt pocket size radio.A
few years ago when I laid it down on my couch to go to my kitchen,it
slipped off and landed on my hardwood floor.The on/off/tuneing knob is
attached to a little electronic circuit cube shaped block thingy and the
cube broke loose from the circuit board in the radio.It looks to me like
a lot of very close to each other side by side very tiny solder
connections from the cube to the circuit board broke loose.I am too
fumbly to try to solder all of those many little very close solder
connections back together and a powerfull magnafying glass would have to
be used to help see those little solder connections,I have some
powerfull magnafying glasses,but I dont think I can repair the radio.I
would like to get the radio repaired.
cuhulin

Old September 7th 05, 04:42 PM

An E100 radio at Radio Shack for $99.00? About two months ago,I saw one
of those radios at the Radio Shack store at Metrocenter Mall just across
Highway 80 from me and I dont think it was priced at anywhere near
$99.00.In less that two hours,I am going to the Goodwill store,I will
try to remember to check the price on an E100 radio at that Radio Shack
store today.
cuhulin