Old September 10th 05, 08:30 PM
Telamon

Default Big flare - radio blackout

I was listening to Radio Netherlands when they dropped out on 17,735 and
15,315 with the usual very strong signal and they just dropped into the
noise. Transmitter trouble? Nope, big solar flare.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old September 10th 05, 08:45 PM
dxAce

Telamon wrote:

I was listening to Radio Netherlands when they dropped out on 17,735 and
15,315 with the usual very strong signal and they just dropped into the
noise. Transmitter trouble? Nope, big solar flare.

Yeah, it was pretty bad around 1630. Things came up again but now have dropped
off a bit.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old September 10th 05, 08:51 PM
Telamon

In article ,
dxAce wrote:

Telamon wrote:

I was listening to Radio Netherlands when they dropped out on 17,735 and
15,315 with the usual very strong signal and they just dropped into the
noise. Transmitter trouble? Nope, big solar flare.

Yeah, it was pretty bad around 1630. Things came up again but now have dropped
off a bit.

They are starting to come back on 15,315 MHz but I still don't here them
on 17,735 MHz. I thought it would be the other way around. They are
missing on 17,660 MHz also.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old September 10th 05, 08:59 PM
dxAce

Telamon wrote:

In article ,
dxAce wrote:

Telamon wrote:

I was listening to Radio Netherlands when they dropped out on 17,735 and
15,315 with the usual very strong signal and they just dropped into the
noise. Transmitter trouble? Nope, big solar flare.

Yeah, it was pretty bad around 1630. Things came up again but now have dropped
off a bit.

They are starting to come back on 15,315 MHz but I still don't here them
on 17,735 MHz. I thought it would be the other way around. They are
missing on 17,660 MHz also.

15315 is S9 at 1959.
17735 is S9+ at 1955.
17660 is S9+20 here at 1956.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old September 10th 05, 09:05 PM
dxAce

dxAce wrote:

Telamon wrote:

In article ,
dxAce wrote:

Telamon wrote:

I was listening to Radio Netherlands when they dropped out on 17,735 and
15,315 with the usual very strong signal and they just dropped into the
noise. Transmitter trouble? Nope, big solar flare.

Yeah, it was pretty bad around 1630. Things came up again but now have dropped
off a bit.

They are starting to come back on 15,315 MHz but I still don't here them
on 17,735 MHz. I thought it would be the other way around. They are
missing on 17,660 MHz also.

15315 is S9 at 1959.
17735 is S9+ at 1955.
17660 is S9+20 here at 1956.

Because of the suns position relative to your location you are currently experiencing
more absobtion than I am. See:

http://www.sec.noaa.gov/rt_plots/dregion.html

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old September 10th 05, 09:09 PM
Telamon

In article ,
dxAce wrote:

Telamon wrote:

In article ,
dxAce wrote:

Telamon wrote:

I was listening to Radio Netherlands when they dropped out on 17,735
and
15,315 with the usual very strong signal and they just dropped into the
noise. Transmitter trouble? Nope, big solar flare.

Yeah, it was pretty bad around 1630. Things came up again but now have
dropped
off a bit.

They are starting to come back on 15,315 MHz but I still don't here them
on 17,735 MHz. I thought it would be the other way around. They are
missing on 17,660 MHz also.

15315 is S9 at 1959.
17735 is S9+ at 1955.
17660 is S9+20 here at 1956.

Yeah conditions are much better now. They are back on all three
frequencies and like you 17,660 MHz out of Canada is best followed by
the Antilles frequencies.
15315 is S8 at 20:05.
17660 is S9 at 20:05.
17735 is S6 at 20:05.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old September 10th 05, 09:15 PM
Telamon

In article ,
dxAce wrote:

dxAce wrote:

Telamon wrote:

In article ,
dxAce wrote:

Telamon wrote:

[...]

Oh yeah! Isn't that page an excellent real time resource! You can watch
solar flare effects on D-region absorption events and how they affect
your reception in real time!

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old September 10th 05, 09:28 PM
dxAce

Telamon wrote:

In article ,
dxAce wrote:

dxAce wrote:

Telamon wrote:

In article ,
dxAce wrote:

Telamon wrote:

[...]

Yeah, it's pretty cool. I've been checking it from time to time this afternoon.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old September 10th 05, 10:03 PM
Telamon

In article ,
dxAce wrote:

Telamon wrote:

In article ,
dxAce wrote:

dxAce wrote:

Telamon wrote:

In article ,
dxAce wrote:

Telamon wrote:

[...]

You might want to check out the 13 meter band (21 MHz) right now. More
alive than usual following this flare.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old September 10th 05, 10:11 PM

But this isn't the issue. Did George Bush have prior knowledge of this
solar flare??? And is he to blame for it?