Old September 22nd 05, 01:29 AM

Default R75 & R8B

I am running Drake R8B and am thinking about buying the ICOM R75. Does
anybody here own both and could you comment? I think I can probably
still get one for 600 from HRO or Universal.

73
Bob
N9NEO

Old September 22nd 05, 01:55 AM
Michael

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am running Drake R8B and am thinking about buying the ICOM R75. Does
anybody here own both and could you comment? I think I can probably
still get one for 600 from HRO or Universal.

73
Bob
N9NEO

HERE WE GO AGAIN !!!

I'll fire the first shot. I own an R75 with full Kiwa mods, and I have used
an R8, R8A & R8B. I find that the R75 is a better radio for utility and
DX'ing. I also find the R75 to be an adequate radio for program listening
before it gets any mods and a very good radio for program listening after
the Kiwa sync and audio mods. I find the R8B to be SUPERLATIVE as a program
listening radio and very good as a DX'ing rig. I dont care what any of the
bench statistics are, the R75 performs better as a DX'ing rig then the R8B.
I could resolve DX signals with the R75 that I could not with the R8B. I
dont care how good the am synch is on the R8B is, or how good the audio
quality is. Those advantages count for nothing when your trying to DX very
weak and messy signals. For that type of work, you are best served putting
your rig in SSB and using ECSS tuning. In that capacity, the R75 is a more
capable rig. I dont need to see bench test stats of any kind. I learned
this through actual use of both rigs. The R75 performs better for DX'ing
then the R8B.

Also keep in mind that I did my trials and comparisons of both Radios with
two very good antennas.

Now, lets here from DXAce
--
Respectfully,

Michael

Location: New Jersey
Primary Receiver: R75 with full Kiwa mods
Antennas: G5RV, 200ft "Frankenstein" roof wire
Additional Radios: 7600GR,KA-1101,KA-1102
PL-550, KA-989, Info-Mate 837, GE-SR III
ICOM PCR-1000
Westinghouse H-104 (seven tube)
Web Site: http://md_dxing.tripod.com

Old September 22nd 05, 02:19 AM
Michael Lawson

"Michael" wrote in message
wrote in message
oups.com...
I am running Drake R8B and am thinking about buying the ICOM R75.

Does
anybody here own both and could you comment? I think I can

probably
still get one for 600 from HRO or Universal.

73
Bob
N9NEO

HERE WE GO AGAIN !!!

It beats another Katrina thread.

[...]

Peter and I were just in a thread about the R75's
sync, and he was mentioning that he received
info from an Icom rep on how to properly work
the sync that isn't in the manual online. Did you
hear about anything like that when you were
comparing the two??

Also keep in mind that I did my trials and comparisons of both

Radios with
two very good antennas.

Now, lets here from DXAce

Of course, the mean between the two extremes (you
and Ace) is pretty much that the R75 is good
value for the money. The entertaining comparisons
are the Sat 800 vs. the R75. Of course, the E1
could sub for the Sat 800 these days.

--Mike L.

Old September 22nd 05, 11:24 AM
dxAce

Michael wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

That would be 'hear', and I disagree with your findings!

dxAce
Michigan
USA

"I swear by, not at, Drake receivers.©

Old September 22nd 05, 11:05 PM
Michael

"dxAce" wrote in message

Michael wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I'm blaming that one on my spell check.

Michael

Old September 22nd 05, 05:01 PM

DXing can mean different things to different people. To some, it means
being able to catch an ID and/or address in an otherwise unlistenable
broadcast. To others, it might mean being able to understand the bulk
of the broadcast, so that you can understand what's being discussed.

At least in my experience, ECSS tuning is especially well-suited to the
former type of DXing, but not so well-suited to the latter type of
DXing. Why? Because constantly changing noise conditions and adjacent
frequency interference limits your ability to twist all the knobs in
just the right way at just the right time. That's why the latter sort
of DXing, at least in my opinion, benefits from an outstanding sync
detector like the R8B's. It makes signals more listenable, not just for
a moment, but for the long haul.

These are generalizations of course. I'm not saying ECSS tuning never
works over the long haul. Sometimes it does, but not as well or as
reliably as sync detection. That's why DXers need BOTH ECSS tuning AND
sync detection.

Steve

Old September 22nd 05, 02:07 AM
Michael Lawson

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am running Drake R8B and am thinking about buying the ICOM R75.

Does
anybody here own both and could you comment? I think I can probably
still get one for 600 from HRO or Universal.

I can honestly say I own neither, but from having
seen the discussions on r.r.s before about those
two, the IC-R75 is good value for the money, but
the R8B (and the AOR 7030+) are better in absolute
terms. Seems to be the consensus that if you're
on a budget, an IC-R75 will do well. If you do
the work needed to make the R75 roughly the
equal of the R8B, you'll end up spending enough
money extra to make the cost difference between
the R8B and the R75 vanish.

--Mike L.

Old September 22nd 05, 02:23 AM
Michael

"Michael Lawson" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am running Drake R8B and am thinking about buying the ICOM R75.

Does
anybody here own both and could you comment? I think I can probably
still get one for 600 from HRO or Universal.

I can honestly say I own neither, but from having
seen the discussions on r.r.s before about those
two, the IC-R75 is good value for the money, but
the R8B (and the AOR 7030+) are better in absolute
terms.

Mike, I dont agree with you. I think the R75 is a better radio for DX'ing
then the R8B. Just because the R75 cost WAY less then the R8B, it dosent
have to mean that the R75 dosent perform better then the R8B. I've used
both radios and the R75 was better for resolving difficult DX.