RadioBanter

-   -   Hammarlund HQ-170 (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/79582-hammarlund-hq-170-a.html)

SR September 29th 05 06:50 AM

Hammarlund HQ-170

I got a Hammarlund HQ-170. Not the Hammarlund HQ-170A. I am not sure
what the (A) stands for or what is the differences in these models.

The radio is big and it works. I do not have any instructions for it
yet. But I was able to buy a manual, which should come to me sometime soon.

The radio is very sensitive. And it has no speaker. I am using a small
speaker and sometimes headphones. Sometimes it can over power the
speaker and headphones

When I pick up a signal, say a voice, it does not sound as clear. The
sound need to be better clarified. Although I play around with the
buttons, and try to figure out how to better tune in a signal.

The radio has no volume button, so I use the NOISE LIMITER button and RF
botton to adjust the volume acordingly.

There is a AF button but I am not sure what it does. When I bring it up
the signal get stronger.

There is a ANTENNA button, I guess that works like a antenna turner.
Which I also use the MFJ 956. I wonder if I could use them both?

I am not sure what the SLOT/FREG and the SLOT DEPTH buttons are for.

The radio has a few terminal screws in the rear. (A, A, G, 6m and SPKR)
I have two alagator clips on A and A and to a PL 259 coax connector then
too my MFJ 956 tuner then to my antenna switcher then to my homebrew 90
feet coil dipole or to my 8 foot fiberglass whip.

I have the G (I guess this is for gound), on a clamp and to my radiator
pipe.

6m must be for the 50 MHZ! VHF

SPKR is this for 2 speakers or 1?

I plan to find a way to add a rear female coax connector to the back of
the radio so I could better connect it to a PL259 coax.

I wonder if their is a way to add a frequency counter to this radio?

Their is one button missing. Their is a small piece of metal sticking
out under the clock. Is their a way I could set the clock?

Behind the clock their is a rod in the inside and it reaches the back
with a hole. Maybe that is the way to set the clock. Their is another
hole like that on the other side on the SLOT FREQ side. But I do not
see a rod behind it. It their suppose to be one?

Also I notice a few holes in the back and inside a plasic you can turn
with a scew driver. Not sure what that is for.

I hope I could find extra tubes and fused should I ever need them.

And I wonder how others who have this radio feel about it?

73, SR!

SR September 29th 05 02:48 PM

Hammarlund HQ-170

Hey Jim, yes it has a nice looking 24 hour clock on the upper left
conner. This is just about the largest radio I had ever seen. Other
then maybe military radios.

Do you have a manual for your radio?

Too bad it's not an all band radio. But their is a lot of space in the
inside. I hope in time I could exspand it.

Is the RF button the on/off button for the whole radio?

73 SR!

[email protected] September 29th 05 02:56 PM

Hammarlund HQ-170

www.devilfinder.com Directions for using Hammarlund HQ-170 Radios

I don't own a Hammarlund radio.By the way,I do own some old long tall CB
radio antennas of various lengths.Would one of those antennas be usefull
for a shortwave radio antenna,has anyone used one for that purpose
before?
cuhulin

SR September 29th 05 03:29 PM

Hammarlund HQ-170

Yes, one of the antennas I use is for cb radio. It is a fiber glass
whip. I use it with the MFJ-956 matcher. Sometimes it helps bring in
signals on the upper bands. Depending on conditions.

I could use an all metal antenna. The types that cab divers use. Not
the magnet mount type. The long whip type.

SR.

dxAce September 29th 05 04:31 PM

Hammarlund HQ-170

Jim Hackett wrote:

Mine is an "A" model. It has a clock. Does yours?

The "A" designation has nothing to do with the clock. With the "A" model of the
HQ-170 and the HQ-180 the hfo/mix1 were on all the time and whatever other
improvements were made.

Typically the "C" denoted a clock, which may have been optional on earlier
models.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

SR September 29th 05 04:48 PM

Hammarlund HQ-170

Hi dxAce, how many different models did the Hammarlund came in? And
which was the lastest or best model?

SR

dxAce September 29th 05 05:13 PM

Hammarlund HQ-170

SR wrote:

Hi dxAce, how many different models did the Hammarlund came in? And
which was the lastest or best model?

Good question. Hammarlund made many different models over the years. Which one is the
best? That's something I guess is left up to the individual user.

The model you have, the HQ-170 is an amateur band receiver, and it's counterpart, the
HQ-180 is a general coverage shortwave receiver.

dxAce
Michigan
USA