Old October 4th 05, 06:24 PM
Caveat Lector

Default WW2 Radio Compass

LORAN-A operated in the 1,750-1,950 KHz frequency band prior to deployment
of the more accurate LORAN-C system.
LORAN C is 90 to 110 kHz band.

More at URL:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LORAN
--
CL -- I doubt, therefore I might be !

wrote in message
LORAN is ultra low frequency,,, isn't it?
cuhulin

Old October 4th 05, 06:40 PM
Cmdr Buzz Corey

Brad wrote:

Whilst broadcast stations were also used for navigation, it was not really a
recomended practice. The radiation pattern could change,

Doesn't matter if the radiation pattern changes, if you can still
receive the signal you still know the direction.
Old October 4th 05, 10:49 PM

I don't know if it's still in use nowdays,but there is/was a very low
frequency antenna buried in the ground from coast to coast along the
U.S.A./Canadian Border.I read about it in either one of my Popular
Science or Popular Mechanics magazines which dates back to the 1950's or
1960's.If I sort of remember,that antenna is intended for U.S.Navy to
use.Maybe it is an ULF antenna,I still have that magazine floatin around
here somewhere.
cuhulin

Old October 5th 05, 12:04 AM
Caveat Lector

Might have been Project ELF

See URL:
http://www.oldradio.com/archives/jurassic/ELF.doc

Old October 5th 05, 12:36 PM
Brad

"Cmdr Buzz Corey" wrote in message
Brad wrote:

Whilst broadcast stations were also used for navigation, it was not
really a recomended practice. The radiation pattern could change,

Doesn't matter if the radiation pattern changes, if you can still receive
the signal you still know the direction.

Ok, I didn't make myself very clear there. In my area, the radio stations
have agreements to share their towers, and to carry multiple transmitters.
After a lightning strike, one local station lost everything, but 6 hours
later, they were back on the air from a neighbours tower. Not very handy if
you happen to be DF'ing the wrong location! NOTAMS are not required for
Commercial Broadcasters, so it could be a disaster for the uninformed.

Brad.

Old October 5th 05, 02:17 PM

Aybout five to six years ago (it might have been a link at
www.lightningstorm.com where I saw it,I sure did saw it somewhere,I seen
it) I read about a couple of expensive gadgets that gives about two or
three minutes warning aybout impending lightning strikes.I don't
remember the name of what them gadgets are called though.W.C.Fields
movie is on tv now.Ay gal bounced a ketchup bottle off of his head,he
grabbed a big old potted plant outside by the front door,threatning to
throw the whole shebang into the kitchen/dining room.
cuhulin