RadioBanter

-   -   Advertising on Shortwave (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/79668-advertising-shortwave.html)

NewsGuy October 4th 05 11:21 AM

Advertising on Shortwave

It would be great if people wrote about their thoughts on advertising
on shortwave. How effective is it?

I've only heard the odd survivalist merchandise and shortwave parts
dealer advertising on shows. Are there others?

How can people know the number of listeners they have on shortwave?

Etc, etc...

David October 4th 05 02:55 PM

Advertising on Shortwave

On 4 Oct 2005 03:21:42 -0700, "NewsGuy" wrote:

It would be great if people wrote about their thoughts on advertising
on shortwave. How effective is it?

I've only heard the odd survivalist merchandise and shortwave parts
dealer advertising on shows. Are there others?

How can people know the number of listeners they have on shortwave?

Etc, etc...

They count the calls to the 1-800 numbers and extrapolate.

[email protected] October 4th 05 03:02 PM

Advertising on Shortwave

NewsGuy wrote:
It would be great if people wrote about their thoughts on advertising
on shortwave. How effective is it?

I've only heard the odd survivalist merchandise and shortwave parts
dealer advertising on shows. Are there others?

How can people know the number of listeners they have on shortwave?

Etc, etc...

well if you count each Bible Beater out there in Shortwave Land, there
are doubtless tens of thousands of Advertizers..

I've heard Quack " Health " Products advertized
( Cures CANCER ! ( yeah, right ))

things that will turn you grey ( Collodial Silver )
,
as well as gold coins..
several Shortwave repair places.. a record store in Pittsburg, and a
restaurant down in Mexico..

Think each station has some kind of idea as to who listens & how many
listeners they have.

Michael Black October 4th 05 03:11 PM

Advertising on Shortwave

"NewsGuy" ) writes:
It would be great if people wrote about their thoughts on advertising
on shortwave. How effective is it?

I've only heard the odd survivalist merchandise and shortwave parts
dealer advertising on shows. Are there others?

Since there's very little commercial broadcasting, there's little
advertising.

Shortwave broadcasting as we know is more about a country wanting to
reach beyond it's borders, either to reach citizens abroad, or people
who might be curious about the country. It's generally paid for
by the governments of the countries.

Commercial shortwave broadcasting is pretty limited. Not only is
it not common, but it is not and never will be a mainstream medium.
Hence you won't see big name advertisers on shortwave, and you will
generally get advertisers who have little choice beyond shortwave
advertising.

In other words, they may not care all that much how many listeners,
they simply hope they will reach an audience if they advertise.

So you get the bible related material, and you get the survivalist
stuff.

Michael

Frank Dresser October 4th 05 04:09 PM

Advertising on Shortwave

"NewsGuy" wrote in message
oups.com...
It would be great if people wrote about their thoughts on advertising
on shortwave. How effective is it?

Some shows have been on SW radio for years, so I guess SW radio advertising
is effective enough for that. SW advertising might be effective, but I
doubt it's lucrative. SW radio time is cheap.

I've only heard the odd survivalist merchandise and shortwave parts
dealer advertising on shows. Are there others?

The biggest "advertisers" on SW are preachers asking for donations. Quack
medicine shows are also commonly heard.

How can people know the number of listeners they have on shortwave?

They don't have to know. It's not like big time radio in which a station
hustles up advertisers and prices based on ratings. The commercial SW radio
stations sell the air time directly to the producers of the radio show.
It's up to those who come up with the show to also come up with the money.

If people send them money, the pitch is working. Non-contributing
listerners, such as myself, don't do the SW host a damn bit of good, anyway.

Etc, etc...

There were a couple of attempts to start advertiser supported SW stations in
recent history. KUSW came and went, almost in the blink of an eye. WRNO
held out longer but it was supporting itself by selling programming long
before it faded away.

Frank Dresser

[email protected] October 4th 05 04:21 PM

Advertising on Shortwave

I think it's mostly cut and dry.Really not much to it.Start advertising
non Shortwave Radio related stuff and see how fast I can cut my Radio
OFF!
cuhulin

[email protected] October 4th 05 04:28 PM

Advertising on Shortwave

Survival,,, canned foods,,, (don't forget the can opener) a pretty
gal,,, Firearms,,, a pretty gal,,, something to boil your water,,,,, a
pretty gal,,, (I have that water thingy covered very well) battery
powered flourescent camp lanterns,,,, a pretty gal and Shortwave
Radio,,,, a pretty gal,,, .Don't buy gold,, somebody will only knock you
in your head and steal your gold.
cuhulin

[email protected] October 4th 05 05:09 PM

Advertising on Shortwave

1 800 call numbers,,,, Your call may be monitored for "quality
assurance".That means some A..holes can hear me hacking and coughing
from my cigarettes and my little doggy barking at any strange noises
(especially if somebody is knocking on my front door!) and I always try
my best to fart on them "quality assurances".
www.cryptome.org/index.html scroll wayyyyyy on down to,TEMPEST.
cuhulin

[email protected] October 4th 05 05:46 PM

Advertising on Shortwave

wrote:
1 800 call numbers,,,, Your call may be monitored for "quality
assurance".

When you finally get to a live person, tell them that you also may be
recording the conversation "for quality assurance purposes". It also
works wonders on those calls from the telemarketers that ignore the "Do
Not Call" lists.

MikeHGED October 4th 05 06:11 PM

Advertising on Shortwave

"NewsGuy" wrote in message
oups.com...
It would be great if people wrote about their thoughts on advertising
on shortwave. How effective is it?

....you mean the assorted quacks, xian goofballs
and clucks selling those GROSSLY OVERPRICED
'numismatic' gold coins, magnetic water bricks and
mattress pads and berkie water filters.....???

Talk about a market that's ONE HUNDRED PERCENT
populated by con-artists and shysters !!

Baaaaa hahahahahhahaha!!

I've only heard the odd survivalist merchandise and shortwave parts
dealer advertising on shows. Are there others?

No.

How can people know the number of listeners they have on shortwave?

By the number of fools who send them "love gifts" and other
forms of tribute. (Profit Stair being the all-time leader for
scamming people who sign their LIFE SAVINGS over to him
when they agree to live on his farm or the kooks from the UK
who send him money to keep him on the air)