Old October 17th 05, 03:37 AM
Telamon

Default Ten-Tec RX340 meter lamp replacement

The lamp burned out and instead of replacing it with another blue/green
bulb I elected to use LEDs. I sanded the surface of the LED case to
make the light it generated non-directional. I used three blue ones
from Radio shack 276-316 in a line in place of the bulb and outside
the meter case I used a resistor to limit the current. It looks pretty
cool but very "blue." Now that I see the result I'm thinking that maybe
white LEDs like a 276-320 would have been better choice as even the
white LEDs look somewhat blueish to me.

Anyone have any experiences using LEDs to replace bulbs on receivers?

Right now I'm looking at the bluest meter on the west coast and the
moving red needle looks almost iridescent.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old October 17th 05, 04:05 AM
Peter Maus

Telamon wrote:
The lamp burned out and instead of replacing it with another blue/green
bulb I elected to use LEDs. I sanded the surface of the LED case to
make the light it generated non-directional. I used three blue ones
from Radio shack 276-316 in a line in place of the bulb and outside
the meter case I used a resistor to limit the current. It looks pretty
cool but very "blue." Now that I see the result I'm thinking that maybe
white LEDs like a 276-320 would have been better choice as even the
white LEDs look somewhat blueish to me.

Anyone have any experiences using LEDs to replace bulbs on receivers?

Yeah, I used a blue LED to replace an incandescent on a Telefunken
HD5000. The device was behind a green filter. The result was very, very
blue. With no trace of green.

I went back to white.

I've also used white LED's, which created a heated debate here, to
replace the dial light on my T/O 3000-1.

The results are good. Covering the bulb with a thin tissue produced
better results than sanding. Abrading with steel wool produced the best
dispersion results.

I've also done some experimentation replacing the fuse type bulbs in
my Marantz 2218 with LED's. The results, so far, have been less than
exceptional. I tried replacing the stereo pilot on the Marantz with an
LED, but the incandescent was integrated into the circuit, so I need to
build a resistive network that emulates the incandescent in operation,
and tap the LED out of that.

Digi-key offers a drop in LED replacement for a number of bayonet and
screw in incandescents both A/C and D/C. The lighting circuits for both
my McKay Dymek AM-5 and McIntosh C-26 are odd values so a direct drop in
isn't available. And the Mc Kay rips the lighting voltage out of
another circuit, so draw, and drop will have to closely approximate the
incandescents.

Then again, I'll only have to do it once.

The upside of LED replacement of incandescents is two fold. The lower
heat generated has enabled me to restore some of the cosmetics which
were damaged by the heat. And pretty early in the life of the receiver,
at that. The purity of colors has made for some very striking dials. The
light blue accents on the tuning scale and the red accents on the
function indicators are visible from the street when the lights are low
in the living room.

Right now I'm looking at the bluest meter on the west coast and the
moving red needle looks almost iridescent.

Things with LED's can get pretty surreal when there are colors
involved. And the color gels in place for the incandescents, don't matter.

Old October 17th 05, 04:35 AM
m II

Telamon wrote:

Anyone have any experiences using LEDs to replace bulbs on receivers?

The diode current would be the main concern as far as I can see. A
common maximum LED current is 20 ma., so you'd have to calculate the
resistance value needed to limit the current using the voltage available
at the bulb socket.

You could probably use the old base from the bulb to make up an LED
assembly, so that NO soldering or rewiring is needed inside the radio.

mike
Old October 17th 05, 05:08 AM
Telamon

In article
,
Peter Maus wrote:

Telamon wrote:
[...]

The bulb in the meter is an odd one. It's a long thin tube with a wire
out each end that solder to posts inside the meter case. The bulb has a
blue/green colored plastic shrink tubing around it. The radio comes
with schematics and parts lists but I could not find a number for the
bulb just the meter itself. The lighting looked better during the day
with some outside light falling on the meter face but in the dark it's
much blue-er. I'm pretty sure you know what I mean since you have done
the same.

Well I expect that it will stay blue for at least the week now. Maybe
next weekend I'll get around to replacing them with white LEDs.

Besides not knowing where to get the bulb it is the only non-LED
indicator on the radio and I did not want have to worry about it
burning out again.

I'll have to give the steel wool a shot also. Thanks for the advice.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old October 17th 05, 05:37 AM
Peter Maus

Telamon wrote:
In article
,
Peter Maus wrote:

Telamon wrote:
[...]

Same bulbs as in my console. They run hot. Replacing them is a PITA.
So, I went with LED's too. I went with white, in that application,
rather than blue, precisely for the reason you stated.

Now, my Focusrite preamps have blue lighting on the meter, and that
looks pretty sharp. But the meter face isn't off white, either.

Sometimes, you gotta just cut and try.

Well I expect that it will stay blue for at least the week now. Maybe
next weekend I'll get around to replacing them with white LEDs.

You might find that white led's may be produce too much glare. And
the higher blue content of the output will produce a less natural
coloring than you've grown accustomed to with the incandescent.
Incandescents produce light with more yellow content than a white LED.
But a white LED will take a filter with better efficacy than a single
wavelength. Using a paper filter will serve you here in producing both
the right amount of diffusion, and a more natural color.

Besides not knowing where to get the bulb it is the only non-LED
indicator on the radio and I did not want have to worry about it
burning out again.

I'll have to give the steel wool a shot also. Thanks for the advice.

For what it's worth.

Old October 18th 05, 05:27 AM
Telamon

In article ,
Peter Maus wrote:

Telamon wrote:
In article
,
Peter Maus wrote:

Telamon wrote:
[...]

I was able to stop by Radio shack at lunch time and bought the white
LEDs. Sanded the entire surface of the LEDs so they looked frosted. Used
three of them again across the bottom of the meter. Pointed the outside
ones toward the top corners and made sure they did not tilt toward the
back of the meter scale so the light is diffuse as possible. I'm happy
with the results.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California
Old October 18th 05, 05:36 AM
Peter Maus

Telamon wrote:
In article ,
Peter Maus wrote:

Telamon wrote:
In article
,
Peter Maus wrote:

Telamon wrote:
[...]

Careful. That's how flamefests begin. That happiness....it just
****es some people off.

Nice touch, though...aiming the led's. And you won't have to do this
again for at least 11 years.

LED lamp replacement for old Type 47 bayonet lamp? malomarski Boatanchors 5 September 6th 05 10:23 AM
Grant LT Meter Lamp burned out [email protected] CB 6 August 15th 05 04:17 PM
SWR - wtf? john d CB 136 July 2nd 05 08:31 PM
SWR - wtf? Roy Lewallen Antenna 110 July 1st 05 05:30 AM
Yaesu FT 650 meter lamp BM Fleet Equipment 0 August 28th 03 11:10 PM