Old October 18th 05, 10:19 AM
RHF

Default What the Eton E1 Rado is NOT ! -=V=- What It "IS" and What Not to Expect

For One and All,

What the Eton E1 Radio "IS" ! -=V=- What It Is Not
and What Not to Expect.

1. The Eton E1 Radio is NOT a Table Top General Coverage High
Frequency Receiver like the Icom IC-R75 or Kenwood R-5000.
* It is a Shortwave Listener's 'portable' AM/FM Shortwave Radio.
Therefore - Expect a Lighter Plastic Case not a Heavy Metal Box.
OBWT : I Own All Three Radios.

2. The Eton E1 Radio is NOT a "Big" Table Top Shortwave Listener's
Radio like the Grundig Satellit 800 or Grundig
RTV-320U.
* It is a 'smaller' Shortwave Listener's 'portable' AM/FM
Shortwave Radio.
Therefore - Expect a 'smaller' Radio with smaller controls.
OBWT : I Own All Three Radios.

3. The Eton E1 Radio is NOT a AM/FM 'portable' Radio designed
for Big Sound Radio Program Listening like the GE Superadio I,
GE Superadio II and GE Superadio III or the GE Digital Superadio
or the GE Superadio Cassette Radio or CCRadioPlus+ with Kiwa Mods.
* It is a Shortwave Listener's 'portable' AM/FM Shortwave Radio.
Therefore - Expect a 'smaller' Speaker and a little less audio
quality.
OBWT : I Own All Seven Radios.

4. The Eton E1 Radio is NOT a AM/FM "Bed Side" Radio designed
for that "Nice & Full" Sound from a Radio with an Alarm Clock
for Music Program Listening like the Cambridge Sound Works 740CD
Radio; Tivoli Model One Radio, KLH Model 100 Radio; Sangean WR1
Radio; Audiophase SkyBox XM Satellite Radio.
* The E1 is a Shortwave Listener's 'portable' AM/FM Shortwave Radio.
Therefore - Expect a 'portable' Radio Sound and the "Nice & Full" Sound
of a Bed Side Radio.
OBWT : I Own All Six Radios.
FWIW - The Eton E1 radio also does not have the Great Old Sound
of the 'old' "Tube" Kitchen Radios like my : RCA Victor Filteramic
Model 3RC76; GE Musaphonic Model T265; Sonora Model RCU-208;
RCA Victor Model 9-X-571 Radio.

CONCLUSION :
The Eton E1 Radio is "IS" a 'portable' AM/FM Shortwave Radio designed
to be a nice sounding high quality 'portable' Radio
like the Sony ICF-2010; Sangean ATS-909; Grundig Yacht Boy 400;
Sony ICF-SW7600GR; and Grundig S350.
* Now this "IS" what the Eton E1 Radio "IS" simply a Shortwave
Listener's 'portable' AM/FM Shortwave Radio.
Therefore - Expect a nice sounding high quality 'portable' AM/FM
Shortwave Radio and you will be happy with the Eton E1 Radio.
OBWT : I Own All Six Radios.

SIDE-BY-SIDE TESTING - Of the Eton E1 XM Radio
with other 'portable' AM/FM Shortwave Radios :
ETON E1 = http://tinyurl.com/9lfd7

FIRST - OVERALL - If you want to know "How Good" in General
the Eton E1 Radio is; then have a Stand-a-Lone Shoot-Out
between two 'portable' AM/FM Shortwave Radios. My pick
would be the "Legendary" Sony ICF-2010 -verses- the Eton E1
Radio for Sound Quality; Signal Handling; and Overall Utility.
- - - IMHO the Eton E1 Radio WINS! over the Sony ICF-2010
as the better Overall 'portable' AM/FM Shortwave Radio.

SECOND - SIGNALS - For "How Good" the Eton E1 Radio is with
an External Shortwave Antenna try a 75 Foot Long Inverted
"L" Antenna using a Matching Transformer plus Coax Cable
Feed-in-Line and an Antenna Switch to run the two Radios
off the same Antenna and Listen to them Side-by-Side.
Now get a Sangean ATS-909 which is usually consider to be
one of the best 'portable' AM/FM Shortwave Radios when used
with an External Shortwave Antenna; and Test it Side-by-Side
with an Eton E1 Radio.
- - - IMHO the Eton E1 Radio WINS! over the Sangean ATS-909
as the better Signal Handling 'portable' AM/FM Shortwave Radio.

THIRD - SOUND - For "How Good" the Eton E1 Radio is when it
comes to Sound Quality in a 'portable' AM/FM Shortwave Radio
listen to the Grundig Yacht Boy 400PE -verses- the Eton E1
Radio. The Grundig Yacht Boy 400PE is generally considered
to have one of the best sounding Speakers of these average
size 'portable' AM/FM Shortwave Radios.
- - - IMHO the Eton E1 Radio TIES with the Grundig Yacht Boy
400PE as a Very Good Sounding 'portable' AM/FM Shortwave Radio.

FOUR - BUILD QUALITY - For "How Good" the Eton E1 Radio is
as far as Build Quality and 'feel' of the radio; after having
done the three above tests and Handling the Four Radios.
Note - They all have Plastic Cases; Small Knobs and Buttons;
LCD Displays; Whip Antennas; and small Speakers; since after
all they are 'portable' AM/FM Shortwave Radios.
- - - IMHO the Eton E1 Radio has ever-bit 'as good' Build
Quality as an the Sony ICF-2010, Sangean ATS-909 and the
Grundig Yacht Boy 400 PE.

THE BOTTOM LINE - Do these Side-by-Side Tests of these Four
'portable' AM/FM Shortwave Radios and then Decide for Yourself.

IN SUMMARY - The Eton E1 Radio - Hey its just a 'portable'
AM/FM Shortwave Radio; and a very good one at that [.]

RATING : I Rate the Eton E1 Radio as a "5" out of '5' ! (5/5)

e1'ing you all ~ RHF
ETON E1 = http://tinyurl.com/9lfd7

.. . .
..
. .
..
.. . .

All are WELCOME and "Invited to Join" the
ETON 'Elite' E1 XM Radio eGroup on YAHOO !
Where the Topic is the Eton 'Elite' E1 Receiver
with XM Satellite Radio. = http://tinyurl.com/9lfd7
Old October 19th 05, 04:33 AM
Brian Denley

Doesn't the E1 cost about $500. Why compare it's sound and build quality to
$200 portables? Shouldn't the E1 be held to a higher standard than that?

--
Brian Denley

Old October 19th 05, 07:04 AM
junius

Many thanks for sharing with us your opinions/observations regarding
the E1.

junius

Old October 19th 05, 09:09 AM
RHF

BD,

Well in your opinion what new 'portable' AM/FM Shortwave Radios
and Table Top Receivers are out-there to compare the Eton E1
Radio to ?

Grundig Yacht Boy 400 PE
Sony ICF-SW7600GR
Sangean ATS-909
Sony ICF-SW77
Palstar R30
Yaesu FRG-100B
Grundig Satellit 800 Millennium

Compare the Eton E1 Radio to the Grundig Satellit 800-M Radio
or the Icom IC-R75 on its technical merits in the actual area
of Receiving Performance or simply 'your' impression of he Radio.

But please don't say that the Eton E1 Radio does not 'sound'
as good as the Grundig Satellit 800-M Radio.

Also please don't say that the Eton E1 Radio does not 'feel'
as solidly built as the Icom IC-R75.

Simply keep in mind that the Eton E1 Radio is a high priced
{high quality} consumer-grade 'portable' AM/FM Shortwave Radio.

READ - Yes ! - The Eton E1 Radio does have a Plastic Case
and is made of Plastic Parts
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ETON-E...o/message/1512

e1'ing you all ~ RHF

Old October 19th 05, 05:38 PM
Brian Denley

RHF wrote:
BD,

Well in your opinion what new 'portable' AM/FM Shortwave Radios
and Table Top Receivers are out-there to compare the Eton E1
Radio to ?

How about comparing it to the older 'real German' Grundigs or the ICF- SW77
for build quality, sensitivity and sound? It would be nice to know how it
measures up to the expensive rigs.

--
Brian Denley

Old October 19th 05, 06:08 PM

Default What the Eton E1 Rado is NOT ! -=V=- What It"IS" and What Not ...

How does it compare with the Kaito and Degen radios?
cuhulin

Old October 19th 05, 06:33 PM

www.devilfinder.com Virtual tour Eton Radio factory in India

Well,I don't know,,,, there just might be a virtual tour somewhere on
the internet.Did Drake have a virtual tour,or does Ten-Tec or Palstar? I
have worked in factorys before and sometimes there would be some tour
groups touring around.When I was a kid in school,we once toured the Coca
Cola bottleing plant on Highway 80.We got a free Coca Cola and a free
hamburger too.
cuhulin

Old October 19th 05, 08:30 PM
junius

You can find a cross-comparison between the E1, SW77, Satellit 800, and
'2010 at
http://www.radiointel.com/review-etone1.htm

Old October 19th 05, 09:29 PM

I just can't see spending that kind of money for that kind of a portable
radio.I think $140.00 (or less) is about what them E1's should be priced
at.Besides,who can afford them anyway?,,, Surely not most people who
live in third World Countries! and most Americans are not going to
gobble them up,,,,, be realistic.
cuhulin

Old October 19th 05, 11:04 PM
RHF

Default Read the Review of the Etón E1 AM/FM Shortwave Radio - by Jay Allen on RadioInte.Com

BD,

Read the Review of the Etón E1 AM/FM Shortwave Radio / Receiver
- by Jay Allen on Radio Intel . Com
http://www.radiointel.com/review-etone1.htm
He compares the Eton E1 Radio to :
* Grundig Satellit 800 Millennium
* Sony ICF-2010
* Sony ICF-SW77

OBTW - Be sure to Click-On the : [Click Here to see some more photos,
including internal, of the Eton E1 by HongKongRadioer] Link at the
bottom
of this webpage.
http://220.189.230.172/web/leowood/f...=0&ClassI D=0

FWIW - I had read Jay Allen's fine Review about three times before
doing my own brief Side-by-Side in the Park with the Eton E1 Radio
and the Sony ICF-2010 Radio. My 'impressions' of the two Radios
paralleled Jay Allen's findings.
* Yes - The Sony ICF-2010 Radio is the "More Sensitive" radio.
* Forever - The Eton E1 Radio has more built-in "Features" (Tools}
to Listen with 'to hear' difficult-to-hear signals.

Once Again - Read Jay Allen's "Review" of the Etón E1 AM/FM Shortwave
Radio.
- - - Hosted on Radio Intel . Com
http://www.radiointel.com/review-etone1.htm
.
All are WELCOME and "Invited to Join" the
ETON 'Elite' E1 XM Radio eGroup on YAHOO !
Where the Topic is the Eton 'Elite' E1 Receiver
with XM Satellite Radio. = http://tinyurl.com/9lfd7
.
.
what more can i say - e1'ing you all ~ RHF