Old October 20th 05, 11:37 AM
Mark Sherman

Default I'm thinking between.....

The Satellite 800 or the Icom IC-75.

Pro's or con on these two? Which one is better?

Tnx

Old October 20th 05, 11:49 AM
Mark Sherman

On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 10:37:23 GMT, Mark Sherman
wrote:

The Satellite 800 or the Icom IC-75.

Pro's or con on these two? Which one is better?

Tnx

As an aside, those are the two tabletops I find in this price range.
Did I miss any?
Old October 20th 05, 12:14 PM

wrote:

The Satellite 800 or the Icom IC-75.

Pro's or con on these two? Which one is better?

Tnx

As an aside, those are the two tabletops I find in this price range.
Did I miss any?

A lot naturally depends on what you want to listen to. I'd recommend
the Icom if you're interested in listening to utilities or hams in SSB
mode. If you're primarily interested in listening to the BBC and in
occasional AM mode dxing, I'd look at the Palstar R30C or R30CC, even
though it is more expensive:

http://www.rffun.com/catalog/commrxvr/0330.html

Steve

Old October 20th 05, 11:03 PM
SeeingEyeDog

Of course it sounds like a telephone you nitwit.
Your using a 3KHz filter to listen to a 10KHz signal.

The key here is selectivity between a R75 and 800 in AM mode not what filter
your using - d'oh!

"David" wrote

I'm using my R-75 for MW bedside listening and it's MW performance in
the SSB mode is rock solid, but it sounds like a telephone.

Old October 20th 05, 11:08 PM
SeeingEyeDog

..
Does the R75 have an optional narrow AM filter available? If it does and
your interested in DXing MW get the R75. If you only want to listen to
medium to strong AM programs with very good audio fidelity then save your
money and get a Boston Acoustics Recepter radio.

wrote in message
oups.com...

If your a program listener who is interested mostly in

Strong signals and wants full FM in the Box, get the Sat 800..

IF you mostly enjoy Pirates, Utilities, Linconsihre Poacher, Volmets
off the Canary Islands,
of VERY faint faint SW stations, get the R-75..

Antenna counts for a lot.

Old October 20th 05, 11:21 PM
RHF

David - link-on, Link-On. LINK-ON ! ) ~ RHF
[ Remember in the middle of a "Slinky" is the
.. . . . . . . . . . . .famous missing 'link' and now
you know why I like "Slinky" Antennas ! ! ! ]

sometimes i a-maze myself ~ RHF
Old October 20th 05, 11:28 PM
David

On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 17:03:40 -0500, "SeeingEyeDog"
wrote:

Of course it sounds like a telephone you nitwit.
Your using a 3KHz filter to listen to a 10KHz signal.

The key here is selectivity between a R75 and 800 in AM mode not what filter
your using - d'oh!

"David" wrote

I'm using my R-75 for MW bedside listening and it's MW performance in
the SSB mode is rock solid, but it sounds like a telephone.

Leroy! Dig. I have an HF-150; an R8B; an SW2; and the R-75. I used
to have 2 R-390As. I know what ''bandpass'' means.

I like it to sound like a telephone. Besides, narrower bandwidth,
better reception.

Old October 20th 05, 11:32 PM
David

On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 17:08:04 -0500, "SeeingEyeDog"
wrote:

.
Does the R75 have an optional narrow AM filter available? If it does and
your interested in DXing MW get the R75. If you only want to listen to
medium to strong AM programs with very good audio fidelity then save your
money and get a Boston Acoustics Recepter radio.

wrote in message
roups.com...

If your a program listener who is interested mostly in

Strong signals and wants full FM in the Box, get the Sat 800..

IF you mostly enjoy Pirates, Utilities, Linconsihre Poacher, Volmets
off the Canary Islands,
of VERY faint faint SW stations, get the R-75..

Antenna counts for a lot.

Is has 3 AM bandwidths. The Narrow is useless unless you off tune.
Talk Radio works real well in SSB tuning on the R-75.. Restricted
audio dynamic range. Clarity. Punch.

Old October 21st 05, 04:06 AM

David wrote:

Leroy! Dig. I have an HF-150; an R8B; an SW2; and the R-75. I used
to have 2 R-390As. I know what ''bandpass'' means.

I like it to sound like a telephone. Besides, narrower bandwidth,
better reception.

I applaud your ability to see the glass as half full.