Old July 4th 06, 06:12 AM
Senior Member

Location: san francisco, ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR
I am located in New York City and I located a commercial radio station
in Toronto CKLW AM 800 KHZ.

On a simple map I roughly conculated that the distance is 800-1000 miles
away. However, if I am able to pick up that far away on a medium wave
am band, I should be able to pick up a lot of other stations by area.
You may be interested in this article I wrote:
http://cobaltpet.blogspot.com/2006/0...tion-tips.html

I identified a number of distant mediumwave stations while listening in san francisco. The list is he
http://cobaltpet.blogspot.com/2006/0...pril-2006.html
__________________
weatherall :: http://cobaltpet.blogspot.com/
Old July 4th 06, 10:16 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Figuring out radio locations by area

"weatherall" wrote in message

SR Wrote:
I am located in New York City and I located a commercial radio station
in Toronto CKLW AM 800 KHZ.

On a simple map I roughly conculated that the distance is 800-1000
miles
away. However, if I am able to pick up that far away on a medium wave
am band, I should be able to pick up a lot of other stations by area.

Straight line distances between major cities can be calculated here
http://www.indo.com/distance

Old July 4th 06, 10:58 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

http://tinyurl.com/q4yax

--
weatherall

Interesting list. I recall getting Air America out of the Fresno on 790
rather than KABC. There is also a station at 550 you can hear in the
bay area.

I check the color alert on NASA AMES TIS on 1700 once in a while, but
you have to hit it before that annoying Mexican station fires up.

Old July 4th 06, 11:48 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Tue, 4 Jul 2006 05:12:59 +0000, weatherall
wrote:

SR Wrote:
I am located in New York City and I located a commercial radio station
in Toronto CKLW AM 800 KHZ.

On a simple map I roughly conculated that the distance is 800-1000
miles
away. However, if I am able to pick up that far away on a medium wave
am band, I should be able to pick up a lot of other stations by area.

You may be interested in this article I wrote:
http://tinyurl.com/q4yax

I identified a number of distant mediumwave stations while listening in
san francisco. The list is he
http://cobaltpet.blogspot.com/2006/0...pril-2006.html

KFI hasn't been 50 KW for years. They are 25 KW into an 1/8 wave
antenna, the equivalent of 10 KW.

Old July 4th 06, 11:52 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote:

SR Wrote:
I am located in New York City and I located a commercial radio station
in Toronto CKLW AM 800 KHZ.

On a simple map I roughly conculated that the distance is 800-1000
miles
away. However, if I am able to pick up that far away on a medium wave
am band, I should be able to pick up a lot of other stations by area.

You may be interested in this article I wrote:
http://tinyurl.com/q4yax

I identified a number of distant mediumwave stations while listening in
san francisco. The list is he
http://cobaltpet.blogspot.com/2006/0...pril-2006.html

KFI hasn't been 50 KW for years. They are 25 KW into an 1/8 wave
antenna, the equivalent of 10 KW.

You, like KFI, haven't been running on full steam for years either.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old July 5th 06, 12:22 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote:

SR Wrote:
I am located in New York City and I located a commercial radio station
in Toronto CKLW AM 800 KHZ.

On a simple map I roughly conculated that the distance is 800-1000
miles
away. However, if I am able to pick up that far away on a medium wave
am band, I should be able to pick up a lot of other stations by area.

You may be interested in this article I wrote:
http://tinyurl.com/q4yax

I identified a number of distant mediumwave stations while listening in
san francisco. The list is he
http://cobaltpet.blogspot.com/2006/0...pril-2006.html

KFI hasn't been 50 KW for years.

More like around 18 mon ths, not "years." December 19, 2004 was the date.

They are 25 KW into an 1/8 wave
antenna, the equivalent of 10 KW.

That is a bit simplistic. 25 kw is 25 kw, but the shorter radiator is less
efficient. But it is still a 25 kw station, until the new tower is put up at
the same location.

Old July 5th 06, 06:00 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

On Tue, 04 Jul 2006 23:22:42 GMT, "David Eduardo"
wrote:

KFI hasn't been 50 KW for years.

More like around 18 mon ths, not "years." December 19, 2004 was the date.

2004, 2005, 2006 is 3 years.

Old July 5th 06, 07:06 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

347 miles from New York City to Toronto.
cuhulin