Old October 22nd 05, 09:43 PM

Default Shortwave radio for out on The Ocean ?

Woody Guthrie's book,This Land Is Your Land.(I think that is the title
of the book,get it and read it,heck,read all of his books) This Land is
yourrrrr land,,,, this land is myyy landddd,,,,,,,,,,
cuhulin

Old October 22nd 05, 09:49 PM

Sullivan's Travels (Joel McCrae,Veronica Lake) movie is real good.It was
on tv here a couple of days ago.Of course I watched the movie on tv,it
is on tv every once in a while.And,Emperor of the North (Lee
Marvin,Ernest Borgnine) movie is real good too.Them Hoboes harrashing
Ernest Borgnine,,,,,,, Heyyyyy Shack,,,,, your Caboose is sticking out!
cuhulin

Old October 22nd 05, 08:20 PM
Joe Analssandrini

Dear Harvey,

Your post has drawn quite a few comments but no reply to your question!

My suggestion would be the Sony ICF-SW7600GR which is an excellent
portable shortwave receiver. It is quite sensitive and selective and
offers a synchronous selectable sideband circuit which makes SW
listening much more pleasurable. I would also recommend your friend
consider the Sony AN-LP1 active antenna which can be placed near the
porthole in his/her cabin, though it may not be 100% necessary.

While I do not have any personal experience using this radio on board a
ship, I have used it at a number of oceanside communities (on piers,
boardwalks, etc.) with just its built-in whip. It works very well in
such locations - reception always appears to be better near the ocean
and I presume that ON the ocean it would be better yet.

The radio is relatively small and can be powered by 4 AA batteries,
either alkalines or rechargeables. Obviously on a ship, your friend
would want to carry a supply of alkaline AA batteries. The radio plays
for quite a long time with a set. (The AN-LP1 antenna takes 2 AA
batteries.)

I hope this is of some use to you.

Best,

Joe

Old October 22nd 05, 08:37 PM
David

On 22 Oct 2005 12:20:44 -0700, "Joe Analssandrini"
wrote:

[...]

I replied. Never travel with a radio you can't afford to lose.

http://www.radiolabs.com/products/ra...kaito-1103.php

Old October 23rd 05, 07:16 AM

Whatever works on land will work on the ocean.
But you have to consider the antenna, and the ship
itself. Being the ship will be steel, I wouldn't expect to
get much down below deck, if you are surrounded by
steel. Will be dead...I imagine you will have to sit
up on deck to receive anything. But...Reception should
be good as long as you are exposed to the sky. Even a
portable whip should be ok, up on deck. Would be nice
if you could string a wire, or a whip, but I wouldn't count
on it. It will be up to the capt...Wouldn't hurt to ask though.
Never know..He might let you do it if it's easy and not a
hazard. I'd probably just take a short wire with the radio,
and clip the end to an umbrella or something... :/
I've never been on the ocean in a boat. But I did operate a
special events station on the Battleship Texas once about
20? years ago. We ran wire antennas between the different
structures of the ship. Had all bands , including 160m.
We had the radios/amps inside the combat information center,
which was about halfway up the bridge. It was pretty kewl. They
still had all the old WW2 radios, radar, etc. The radar screens
were mounting facing up, and were in wood cases..
It was in Dec, and I nearly froze to death on that thing the night
we stayed on it. The metal blocks the wind, but transmits cold
very well... But it was worth it. I got to look all around the ship
with no one with me. Some parts were blocked off, but I got to
see a lot of it. I still remember seeing the old doctors, and
operating room, and thinking it was a miracle anyone survived
that room...Really primitive compared to todays standards.
The radio room was blocked off. I could see in it a bit, but
couldn't go in. They have since overhauled the ship, and opened
the radio room I think. I think they even have a working ham station
in there now.
MK

Old October 23rd 05, 03:07 PM

Of course Freightor Ships are a lot different than Navy Ships,much
different.It might be that Freightor Ship has a Shortwave (I don't doubt
they have at least one good Shortwave Antenna and a few other kinds of
Antennas too on deck for the Ship's radios) with a wire or two below
decks for people to clip their own Shortwave Radios on to.But what do I
know about Freightor Ships?
cuhulin

Old October 24th 05, 07:07 AM
Jake