Old November 5th 05, 11:21 AM
dxAce

Default R8B vs R75

Michael wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...
My R8B was fixed by Drake for $150 labor and $15 in parts. Works right
now.

I am playing with it now. Maybe this weekend I will put it up against
my R75. I don't expect the stock R75 to do very well against the
Drake. R75 audio sucks. Maybe next week I will send R75 out for mods
and then a real test.

73
Bob

The R75 is a better utility and DX'ing rig then the R8b. The audio quality
of the R75 does not "suck". It is quite good when heard through an external
speaker set up. It is EXCELLENT when the R75 has a simple audio mod done to
it. I have an R75 with the Kiwa mods and it use it through my PC's sound
card and I also employ a full software equalizer. I can get it to sound
fantastic under any circumstances. While the R8b's am sync does a fine job
with moderate fade, it is by no means a remedy for listening to very weak
and messy signals. For that task, the tool you need to use is ECSS tuning.
The R75 is excellent at that task. With the dual PBT it is like having an
unlimited number of bandwidths. You also have two levels of preamp to work
with and noise reduction too if you add the UT-106 DSP unit. That is the
way to handle challenging signals and resolve them into something you can
listen to.

I use the synch on the R8B to listen to very weak and messy signals all the
time. It does an excellent job.

I've used an R75 with the Kiwa mods. I wouldn't even keep an R75 for use as a
door stop.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old November 5th 05, 02:59 PM
Brian Hill

"Michael" wrote in message

The R75 is a better utility and DX'ing rig then the R8b. Michael

That's not true Michael. I've used both side by side.
--

Regards
B.H.

Brian's Basement
http://webpages.charter.net/brianhill/6.htm

Brian's Radio Universe
http://webpages.charter.net/brianhill/500.htm

Old November 5th 05, 09:52 PM
Michael

"Brian Hill" wrote in message

"Michael" wrote in message

The R75 is a better utility and DX'ing rig then the R8b. Michael

That's not true Michael. I've used both side by side.
--

It is true. I've used them both side by side also. The R75 is better for
utility and DX'ing then the R8b. The R8b costs more money then the R75 but

Michael