RadioBanter

-   -   Edmund Fitzgerald - Thirtieth Anniversary (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/81661-edmund-fitzgerald-thirtieth-anniversary.html)

[email protected] November 9th 05 03:48 AM

Edmund Fitzgerald - Thirtieth Anniversary

What frequencies would have been used for communications? HF? VHF?

http://www.boatnerd.com/

http://cimss.ssec.wisc.edu/wxwise/fitz.html

"At 7 p.m. the Anderson made radio contact with the Fitzgerald and had
her on their radar. When asked how the Fitzgerald was making out they
replied "We are holding our own". This was around 7:10 p.m.. Shortly
afterwards the Fitzgerald disappeared from the Anderson's radar
screen."

Thanks to a link at Trainorders.com for the tip.

dxAce November 9th 05 12:53 PM

wrote:

What frequencies would have been used for communications? HF? VHF?

At that close a range most likely VHF, though in those days they may have still
had some HF gear on board.

John S. November 9th 05 01:22 PM

wrote:
What frequencies would have been used for communications? HF? VHF?

http://www.boatnerd.com/

http://cimss.ssec.wisc.edu/wxwise/fitz.html

"At 7 p.m. the Anderson made radio contact with the Fitzgerald and had
her on their radar. When asked how the Fitzgerald was making out they
replied "We are holding our own". This was around 7:10 p.m.. Shortly
afterwards the Fitzgerald disappeared from the Anderson's radar
screen."

Thanks to a link at Trainorders.com for the tip.

The ships also had radar, although at some point both radar units on
the Fitzgerald were knocked out. The Anderson was in more or less
constant contact by radio.

Discovery Channel ran their well done program on the sinking of the
Edmund Fitzgerald not too long ago. As I remember it a shift in wind
direction meant the ships were no longer protected by the coastline
they were hugging for protection. The huge waves gradually flooded the
heavily loaded ore ship, making it sit even lower in the water. A big
wave probably did the ship in.

Art Harris November 9th 05 09:33 PM

John S. wrote:

As I remember it a shift in wind direction meant the ships were no longer protected by the coastline they were hugging for protection. The huge waves gradually flooded the

heavily loaded ore ship, making it sit even lower in the water. A big
wave probably did the ship in.

"They might have split up or they might have capsized
They may have broke deep and took water
And all that remains is the faces and the names
Of the wives and the sons and the daughters." --Gordon Lightfoot

Art H.

dxAce November 9th 05 09:35 PM

Art Harris wrote:

John S. wrote:

As I remember it a shift in wind direction meant the ships were no longer protected by the coastline they were hugging for protection. The huge waves gradually flooded the

heavily loaded ore ship, making it sit even lower in the water. A big
wave probably did the ship in.

"They might have split up or they might have capsized
They may have broke deep and took water
And all that remains is the faces and the names
Of the wives and the sons and the daughters." --Gordon Lightfoot

Nice tune. But he's a Canuck.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

John S. November 9th 05 10:33 PM

Art Harris wrote:
John S. wrote:

As I remember it a shift in wind direction meant the ships were no longer protected by the coastline they were hugging for protection. The huge waves gradually flooded the

heavily loaded ore ship, making it sit even lower in the water. A big
wave probably did the ship in.

"They might have split up or they might have capsized
They may have broke deep and took water
And all that remains is the faces and the names
Of the wives and the sons and the daughters." --Gordon Lightfoot

Art H.

Hadn't thought of that song in years, thanks for posting it. Makes me
think of the old Woddie Guthrie song, The Sinking of the Rueben James.
The sinkings were under different circumstances, but both songs
commemorate a tragic loss of life.

m II November 10th 05 04:07 AM

Edmund Fitzgerald - Thirtieth Anniversary

clifto wrote:

And then there's anything by Dylan, for authentic sounds of mass animal
slaughter. Given my choice between the three, I'd opt instead for the
beautiful word pictures and lithe harmonies of, say, the Trashmen in
their ever-excellent Surfin' Bird.

That is one high energy piece of music. It's amazing what they did with
a half dozen words..

mike

[email protected] November 10th 05 03:33 PM

Edmund Fitzgerald - Thirtieth Anniversary

I have often thought that would make one fine national anthem.

Mark Zenier November 10th 05 06:19 PM

Edmund Fitzgerald - Thirtieth Anniversary

In article ,
dxAce wrote:

Nice tune. But he's a Canuck.

So is Pamela Anderson.

Mark Zenier

clifto November 10th 05 08:13 PM

m II wrote:
clifto wrote:
And then there's anything by Dylan, for authentic sounds of mass animal
slaughter. Given my choice between the three, I'd opt instead for the
beautiful word pictures and lithe harmonies of, say, the Trashmen in
their ever-excellent Surfin' Bird.

That is one high energy piece of music. It's amazing what they did with
a half dozen words..

And the subtle nuance in the big vocal solo... *sigh* They just don't
write 'em like they used ta.

While I'm on the subject I have to give special mention to "Do The Crusher"
by The Crusher. Reason is, our new cat earned the name Dick the Bruiser,
and of course Bruiser and Crusher were cousins.

[email protected] November 10th 05 09:15 PM

Edmund Fitzgerald - Thirtieth Anniversary

I saw that tv program a few years ago about the Edmund Fitzgerald
Ship.There was something about at least one or more of the hatches
wasen't fastened down properly.
cuhulin

dxAce November 10th 05 09:21 PM

wrote:

What frequencies would have been used for communications? HF? VHF?

http://www.boatnerd.com/

http://cimss.ssec.wisc.edu/wxwise/fitz.html

"At 7 p.m. the Anderson made radio contact with the Fitzgerald and had
her on their radar. When asked how the Fitzgerald was making out they
replied "We are holding our own". This was around 7:10 p.m.. Shortly
afterwards the Fitzgerald disappeared from the Anderson's radar
screen."

Thanks to a link at Trainorders.com for the tip.

It's estimated that between 7:20 and 7:30 pm EST on November 10, 1975 the Edmund
Fitzgerald was lost.

Pause and remember.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

[email protected] November 10th 05 10:28 PM

Edmund Fitzgerald - Thirtieth Anniversary

But the Edmund Fitzgerald Ship is still down there in the lake,isn't it?
cuhulin

dxAce November 10th 05 10:42 PM

wrote:

But the Edmund Fitzgerald Ship is still down there in the lake,isn't it?

Yes, it is.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Tony Meloche November 11th 05 12:37 AM

dxAce wrote:

wrote:

But the Edmund Fitzgerald Ship is still down there in the lake,isn't it?

Yes, it is.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

520 feet down, in two pieces with the taconite cargo strewn on the
lake floor between them. Ten years ago, the bell was brought up,
cleaned, and is now in a memorial display at Whitefish Point. A replica
bell was cast from bronze, inscribed with the names of the captain and
28 crewmembers, and lowered to the ships deck. It is a permanent
gravesight, and will not be disturbed - by law - from henceforth.

Tony

[email protected] November 11th 05 01:05 AM

Edmund Fitzgerald - Thirtieth Anniversary

Too bad the Titanic Ship was disturbed.Really bad that some people were
down there in that Ship (before she sank) and couldn't get out because
of those locked gates.And those people up there on deck had the audacity
to have the band playing and singing,Nearer my God to Thee.
cuhulin

clifto November 11th 05 03:43 AM

Edmund Fitzgerald - Thirtieth Anniversary

Frank Dresser wrote:
"clifto" wrote...
While I'm on the subject I have to give special mention to "Do The

Crusher"
by The Crusher. Reason is, our new cat earned the name Dick the Bruiser,
and of course Bruiser and Crusher were cousins.

"Listen up, you turkeynecks. One of the most memorable characters ever in
wrestling has died. Or more correctly, gone to the big beer hall in the sky
to start raising hell again with Dick the Bruiser. All praise The Crusher,
dead Saturday at age 79. "

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Wrestling/...3/1275272.html

How sad! Thanks for letting me know.

clifto November 11th 05 03:48 AM

Edmund Fitzgerald - Thirtieth Anniversary

Frank Dresser wrote:
"clifto" wrote...
Given my choice between the three, I'd opt instead for the
beautiful word pictures and lithe harmonies of, say, the Trashmen in
their ever-excellent Surfin' Bird.

Ahh, but The Trashmen would opt for The Rivingtons!

Whom, I note, were once known as The Sharps (no relation).

jon November 11th 05 04:48 AM

Edmund Fitzgerald - Thirtieth Anniversary

Greetings Frank! Thanks for the great off topic post on the wrestling
history. I loved to watch the Crusher and the Bruiser when I was a kid
growing up in Northern Illinois. I saw them both in matches in
Davenport, Iowa. Crusher was an amazing guy compared to the comic book
characters of wrestling today. I can't bring myself to watch it. Have
a great weekend! Jon.

[email protected] November 11th 05 05:02 AM

Edmund Fitzgerald - Thirtieth Anniversary

I quit watching wrestling many years ago when it started getting so
phoney.But anyway,Rest in Peace,The Crusher.
cuhulin

Bill Carter November 11th 05 06:16 AM

Edmund Fitzgerald - Thirtieth Anniversary

"jon" wrote in message
oups.com...
Greetings Frank! Thanks for the great off topic post on the wrestling
history. I loved to watch the Crusher and the Bruiser

Howabout Haystacks Calhoon and Leaping Lary Shane

Bill Carter November 11th 05 06:25 AM

Edmund Fitzgerald - Thirtieth Anniversary

"Tony Meloche" wrote in message
dxAce wrote:

wrote:

They have a nice exibit about the wreck at the Whitefish Point lighthouse
musium,ships bell they brought up and a few other things. They also have
some stuff from the Fitz
on the ship Vally Camp (a lifeboat)at Siou ST Marei(US side.) Both places in
the UP.can't get spell chek to work.
But the Edmund Fitzgerald Ship is still down there in the lake,isn't it?

Yes, it is.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

520 feet down, in two pieces with the taconite cargo strewn on the
lake floor between them. Ten years ago, the bell was brought up, cleaned,
and is now in a memorial display at Whitefish Point. A replica bell was
cast from bronze, inscribed with the names of the captain and 28
crewmembers, and lowered to the ships deck. It is a permanent gravesight,
and will not be disturbed - by law - from henceforth.

Tony

News==----
Newsgroups
=----

[email protected] November 11th 05 06:34 AM

Edmund Fitzgerald - Thirtieth Anniversary

Back in the 1950's (that's back when wrestling was real) my old buddy
and I went to see a wrestling match at the old Coloseium on Pascagoula
Street in beautifull down town Jackson.y'all ever heard of Gorgeous
George before? That was the only wrestling match I ever went to
see.So-called wrestling nowdays is as phoney as phoney can be.
cuhulin

m II November 11th 05 07:01 AM

Frank Dresser wrote:

"Listen up, you turkeynecks. One of the most memorable characters ever in
wrestling has died. Or more correctly, gone to the big beer hall in the sky
to start raising hell again with Dick the Bruiser. All praise The Crusher,
dead Saturday at age 79. "

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Wrestling/...3/1275272.html

Right up there with Killer Kowalski and Sweet Daddy Siki

mike

dxAce November 11th 05 06:04 PM

Edmund Fitzgerald - Thirtieth Anniversary

Mark Zenier wrote:

In article ,
dxAce wrote:

Nice tune. But he's a Canuck.

So is Pamela Anderson.

That explains a lot.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

[email protected] November 11th 05 07:11 PM

Edmund Fitzgerald - Thirtieth Anniversary

I was drifting off to sleep last night and there was a guest speaker guy
talking to George Noory about the Edmund Fitzgerald Ship and some other
Ships that sank on www.coasttocoastam.com The guy gave out this
website several times. www.edmundfitzgerald.com
cuhulin

Ron Hardin November 11th 05 08:00 PM

Edmund Fitzgerald - Thirtieth Anniversary

If you like the song, try Bernard Bolan's ``Not Many Fish'' which resembles it
musically

I have it up somewhere. mmm...

$ grep bolan mindspring* rhhardin*
mindspring:-rw-rw-r-- 1 ftp ftp 325273 Feb 19 2002 bolan.fish.ra

try http://rhhardin.home.mindspring.com/bolan.fish.ram

--
Ron Hardin

Dan Say November 12th 05 01:07 AM

Bill Carter wrote:
But the Edmund Fitzgerald Ship is still down there in the
lake,isn't it?
Yes, it is.
dxAce Michigan

520 feet down, in two pieces with the taconite cargo
strewn on the
lake floor between them. Ten years ago, the bell was brought
up, cleaned,
and is now in a memorial display at Whitefish Point. A replica
bell was cast from bronze, inscribed with the names of the
captain and 28
crewmembers, and lowered to the ships deck. It is a permanent
gravesight, and will not be disturbed - by law - from
henceforth.

Tony

Linkname: SS Edmund Fitzgerald - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
size: 296 lines

Sub-Link that you currently have selected
Linkname: The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald Song
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wre...und_Fitzgerald

--
-\_,-~-\___...__._._._._._._._._._._._.
For real Dxing,

Tony Meloche November 12th 05 02:30 AM

Edmund Fitzgerald - Thirtieth Anniversary

Mark Zenier wrote:
In article ,
dxAce wrote:

Nice tune. But he's a Canuck.

So is Pamela Anderson.

So was the finest man I ever knew - my father.

Tony

Beerbarrel November 12th 05 02:50 AM

Edmund Fitzgerald - Thirtieth Anniversary

On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 21:30:43 -0500, Tony Meloche
wrote:

Mark Zenier wrote:
In article ,
dxAce wrote:

Nice tune. But he's a Canuck.

So is Pamela Anderson.

So was the finest man I ever knew - my father.

Tony

Hey! I know him!

Usenet Loser List
---------------------------------
mII and ole boney!, Peter Wieck, David
David (call me at home) Stinson, Steven Dinius, Ken G
Sylvain Vanier, Honus, John Barnard, M

Frank Dresser November 12th 05 03:13 AM

"clifto" wrote in message

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Wrestling/...3/1275272.html

How sad! Thanks for letting me know.

At least The Crusher had a normal lifespan. He outlived several wrestlers
of the steroid generation.

Frank Dresser

Frank Dresser November 12th 05 03:16 AM

"clifto" wrote in message

Ahh, but The Trashmen would opt for The Rivingtons!

Whom, I note, were once known as The Sharps (no relation).

Good trivia point!

Frank Dresser

clifto November 14th 05 09:50 PM

Edmund Fitzgerald - Thirtieth Anniversary

Mark Zenier wrote:
dxAce wrote:
Nice tune. But he's a Canuck.

So is Pamela Anderson.

I note you didn't use the plural.

clifto November 14th 05 09:52 PM

Frank Dresser wrote:
"clifto" wrote...
Ahh, but The Trashmen would opt for The Rivingtons!

Whom, I note, were once known as The Sharps (no relation).

Good trivia point!

It would've been even better had my newsreader followed the instructions
I thought I gave it and signed my message "Clifton T. Sharp".

Mark Zenier November 15th 05 04:19 PM

clifto wrote:
Mark Zenier wrote:
dxAce wrote:
Nice tune. But he's a Canuck.

So is Pamela Anderson.

I note you didn't use the plural.

I suspect those parts of her were made in America.

Mark Zenier