Old November 9th 05, 03:48 AM

Default Edmund Fitzgerald - Thirtieth Anniversary

What frequencies would have been used for communications? HF? VHF?

http://www.boatnerd.com/

http://cimss.ssec.wisc.edu/wxwise/fitz.html

"At 7 p.m. the Anderson made radio contact with the Fitzgerald and had
her on their radar. When asked how the Fitzgerald was making out they
replied "We are holding our own". This was around 7:10 p.m.. Shortly
afterwards the Fitzgerald disappeared from the Anderson's radar
screen."

Thanks to a link at Trainorders.com for the tip.

Old November 9th 05, 12:53 PM
dxAce

wrote:

What frequencies would have been used for communications? HF? VHF?

At that close a range most likely VHF, though in those days they may have still
had some HF gear on board.

Old November 9th 05, 01:22 PM
John S.

wrote:
What frequencies would have been used for communications? HF? VHF?

http://www.boatnerd.com/

http://cimss.ssec.wisc.edu/wxwise/fitz.html

"At 7 p.m. the Anderson made radio contact with the Fitzgerald and had
her on their radar. When asked how the Fitzgerald was making out they
replied "We are holding our own". This was around 7:10 p.m.. Shortly
afterwards the Fitzgerald disappeared from the Anderson's radar
screen."

Thanks to a link at Trainorders.com for the tip.

The ships also had radar, although at some point both radar units on
the Fitzgerald were knocked out. The Anderson was in more or less
constant contact by radio.

Discovery Channel ran their well done program on the sinking of the
Edmund Fitzgerald not too long ago. As I remember it a shift in wind
direction meant the ships were no longer protected by the coastline
they were hugging for protection. The huge waves gradually flooded the
heavily loaded ore ship, making it sit even lower in the water. A big
wave probably did the ship in.

Old November 9th 05, 09:33 PM
Art Harris

John S. wrote:

As I remember it a shift in wind direction meant the ships were no longer protected by the coastline they were hugging for protection. The huge waves gradually flooded the

heavily loaded ore ship, making it sit even lower in the water. A big
wave probably did the ship in.

"They might have split up or they might have capsized
They may have broke deep and took water
And all that remains is the faces and the names
Of the wives and the sons and the daughters." --Gordon Lightfoot

Art H.

Old November 9th 05, 09:35 PM
dxAce

Art Harris wrote:

John S. wrote:

As I remember it a shift in wind direction meant the ships were no longer protected by the coastline they were hugging for protection. The huge waves gradually flooded the

heavily loaded ore ship, making it sit even lower in the water. A big
wave probably did the ship in.

"They might have split up or they might have capsized
They may have broke deep and took water
And all that remains is the faces and the names
Of the wives and the sons and the daughters." --Gordon Lightfoot

Nice tune. But he's a Canuck.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old November 9th 05, 10:33 PM
John S.

Art Harris wrote:
John S. wrote:

As I remember it a shift in wind direction meant the ships were no longer protected by the coastline they were hugging for protection. The huge waves gradually flooded the

heavily loaded ore ship, making it sit even lower in the water. A big
wave probably did the ship in.

"They might have split up or they might have capsized
They may have broke deep and took water
And all that remains is the faces and the names
Of the wives and the sons and the daughters." --Gordon Lightfoot

Art H.

Hadn't thought of that song in years, thanks for posting it. Makes me
think of the old Woddie Guthrie song, The Sinking of the Rueben James.
The sinkings were under different circumstances, but both songs
commemorate a tragic loss of life.

Old November 10th 05, 04:07 AM
m II

clifto wrote:

And then there's anything by Dylan, for authentic sounds of mass animal
slaughter. Given my choice between the three, I'd opt instead for the
beautiful word pictures and lithe harmonies of, say, the Trashmen in
their ever-excellent Surfin' Bird.

That is one high energy piece of music. It's amazing what they did with
a half dozen words..

mike
Old November 10th 05, 03:33 PM

I have often thought that would make one fine national anthem.

Old November 10th 05, 06:19 PM
Mark Zenier

In article ,
dxAce wrote:

Nice tune. But he's a Canuck.

So is Pamela Anderson.

Mark Zenier
Old November 10th 05, 08:13 PM
clifto

m II wrote:
clifto wrote:
And then there's anything by Dylan, for authentic sounds of mass animal
slaughter. Given my choice between the three, I'd opt instead for the
beautiful word pictures and lithe harmonies of, say, the Trashmen in
their ever-excellent Surfin' Bird.

That is one high energy piece of music. It's amazing what they did with
a half dozen words..

And the subtle nuance in the big vocal solo... *sigh* They just don't
write 'em like they used ta.

While I'm on the subject I have to give special mention to "Do The Crusher"
by The Crusher. Reason is, our new cat earned the name Dick the Bruiser,
and of course Bruiser and Crusher were cousins.