RadioBanter

-   -   Icom IC-71E or FRG7700 ??? (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/81663-icom-ic-71e-frg7700.html)

The Berg November 9th 05 07:05 AM

Icom IC-71E or FRG7700 ???

Hi.
I am looking to buy second hand one of the above.
Which ones the best receiver ?
Any recommendations welcomed.
Cheers
Jeff

BDK November 9th 05 10:51 AM

Icom IC-71E or FRG7700 ???

In article ,
says...
Hi.
I am looking to buy second hand one of the above.
Which ones the best receiver ?
Any recommendations welcomed.
Cheers
Jeff

The 71a/e is vastly better than the 7700 in every way, except in audio
quality. I've had a 71a for years and had a 7700 and 8800 too, for many
years. Both Yaesu's have lousy filters and are missing the notch and
passband tuning that the 71a/e (the difference is an easily removed
diode on the 71e to enable full reception to 30 MHZ) has and are so
useful. Make sure the 71 you are looking at has a PBT knob on the right
side. If it doesn't, pass on it.

BDK

John S. November 9th 05 01:08 PM

Icom IC-71E or FRG7700 ???

The Berg wrote:
Hi.
I am looking to buy second hand one of the above.
Which ones the best receiver ?
Any recommendations welcomed.
Cheers
Jeff

It depends on what you want to spend for a radio. Typically the R71a
will be priced a few hundred dollars more than the Yaesu, but it is a
better radio.

Both are older radios now, so be sure to check operation of all
features including the display. If it was used by a smoker I would
pass on the radio unless it was very cheap. On the FRG7700 make sure
it has the optional memory unit. As previously mentioned make sure the
R71a has a passband tuning control. A patent lawsuit over ownership of
that control resulted in Icom selling that radio less the PBT control
for a few years.

[email protected] November 9th 05 05:16 PM

Icom IC-71E or FRG7700 ???

If one of those radios was made in America,that is the one I would buy.
cuhulin

junius November 9th 05 06:27 PM

Icom IC-71E or FRG7700 ???

John S. wrote:
It depends on what you want to spend for a radio. Typically the R71a
will be priced a few hundred dollars more than the Yaesu, but it is a
better radio.

Right, between the two, I'd go with the R71a, if the intention is to do
some serious dx-ing.

junius

john November 9th 05 07:14 PM

Icom IC-71E or FRG7700 ???

wrote in message
If one of those radios was made in America,that is the one I would buy.
cuhulin

so you would like a radio with poor build quality and fails after a week
;-))

D Peter Maus November 9th 05 09:35 PM

Icom IC-71E or FRG7700 ???

john wrote:

so you would like a radio with poor build quality and fails after a week
;-))

Good thing Bill Halligan or Oscar Hammarlund aren't alive to hear you
say that.

To say nothing of Robert Drake.

[email protected] November 9th 05 10:11 PM

Icom IC-71E or FRG7700 ???

I was only joking about what I said earlier about Zenith radios.But I do
think they are over rated.At Zenith the Quality goes in before the name
goes on.All of my old Zenith radios except my Zenith Transoceanic 1000
radio do work.
cuhulin

john November 9th 05 11:27 PM

Icom IC-71E or FRG7700 ???

"D Peter Maus" wrote in message
john wrote:

so you would like a radio with poor build quality and fails after a week
;-))

Good thing Bill Halligan or Oscar Hammarlund aren't alive to hear you
say that.

To say nothing of Robert Drake.

who ever they are! ;-)))

m II November 10th 05 04:20 AM

Icom IC-71E or FRG7700 ???

john wrote:

Good thing Bill Halligan or Oscar Hammarlund aren't alive to hear you
say that.

To say nothing of Robert Drake.

who ever they are! ;-)))

...the man ain't got no culture...