Old November 9th 05, 07:05 AM
The Berg

Default Icom IC-71E or FRG7700 ???

Hi.
I am looking to buy second hand one of the above.
Which ones the best receiver ?
Any recommendations welcomed.
Cheers
Jeff

Old November 9th 05, 01:08 PM
John S.

The Berg wrote:
Hi.
I am looking to buy second hand one of the above.
Which ones the best receiver ?
Any recommendations welcomed.
Cheers
Jeff

It depends on what you want to spend for a radio. Typically the R71a
will be priced a few hundred dollars more than the Yaesu, but it is a
better radio.

Both are older radios now, so be sure to check operation of all
features including the display. If it was used by a smoker I would
pass on the radio unless it was very cheap. On the FRG7700 make sure
it has the optional memory unit. As previously mentioned make sure the
R71a has a passband tuning control. A patent lawsuit over ownership of
that control resulted in Icom selling that radio less the PBT control
for a few years.

Old November 9th 05, 05:16 PM

If one of those radios was made in America,that is the one I would buy.
cuhulin

Old November 9th 05, 06:27 PM
junius

John S. wrote:
It depends on what you want to spend for a radio. Typically the R71a
will be priced a few hundred dollars more than the Yaesu, but it is a
better radio.

Right, between the two, I'd go with the R71a, if the intention is to do
some serious dx-ing.

junius

Old November 9th 05, 07:14 PM
john

wrote in message
If one of those radios was made in America,that is the one I would buy.
cuhulin

so you would like a radio with poor build quality and fails after a week
;-))

Old November 9th 05, 09:35 PM
D Peter Maus

john wrote:

so you would like a radio with poor build quality and fails after a week
;-))

Good thing Bill Halligan or Oscar Hammarlund aren't alive to hear you
say that.

To say nothing of Robert Drake.
Old November 9th 05, 10:11 PM

I was only joking about what I said earlier about Zenith radios.But I do
think they are over rated.At Zenith the Quality goes in before the name
goes on.All of my old Zenith radios except my Zenith Transoceanic 1000
radio do work.
cuhulin

Old November 9th 05, 11:27 PM
john

"D Peter Maus" wrote in message
john wrote:

so you would like a radio with poor build quality and fails after a week
;-))

Good thing Bill Halligan or Oscar Hammarlund aren't alive to hear you
say that.

To say nothing of Robert Drake.

who ever they are! ;-)))

Old November 10th 05, 04:20 AM
m II

john wrote:

Good thing Bill Halligan or Oscar Hammarlund aren't alive to hear you
say that.

To say nothing of Robert Drake.

who ever they are! ;-)))

...the man ain't got no culture...