Old November 12th 05, 09:36 AM

Default ndb tower?

http://www.lazygranch.com/images/a51pan/september2005/tower.jpg

I'm working on a new area 51 panorama and noticed this tower. It the
striped object in the foreground. I wonder if this is the
non-directional beacon PYD? It could be weather instrumentation, but
the tower does have a shack nearby.

Old November 12th 05, 06:36 PM

What you see is what I got.

Do you have a good web page with NDB photographs? The reason I thought
this might be the NDB is by this photograph:
http://www.astro.hr/ucionica/tom/ndb/ndb.jpg

The one NDB I saw close up used two poles and wire between them.

David wrote:
On 12 Nov 2005 01:36:01 -0800, wrote:

http://www.lazygranch.com/images/a51pan/september2005/tower.jpg

I'm working on a new area 51 panorama and noticed this tower. It the
striped object in the foreground. I wonder if this is the
non-directional beacon PYD? It could be weather instrumentation, but
the tower does have a shack nearby.

Does it have a ''top hat'' (an array of symmetrical horizontal
elements at the very top)?

Old November 13th 05, 01:01 AM
ClemSnide

Miso,

FWIW, what you suspecto to be a NDB does resemble the one at the airport
I work at. Admittedly, that isn't a great photo. As for the other NDB,
I've never seen that kind before.

wrote:
I see what you mean about the top hat
http://www.mediasuk.org/archive/ndb-...n-vito-ta-.jpg

Old November 13th 05, 02:09 AM
RHF

M 7 CS,

The Tower itself may be an omni-directional NDB Antenna.

The so called Top Hat may be a separate VHF UHF Antenna
that is simply using the Tower as an elevated support.

Some Do & Some Don't .

something to think about ~ RHF
Old November 13th 05, 02:24 AM
David

On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 01:51:27 GMT, ClemSnide wrote:

No top hat. Just a red and white antenna with a red light on top. As for
height, I can look it up tomorrow. Maybe those with top hats form
airways/airroutes whereas the others are part of an instrument approach?
No idea really, just throwing that out there for consideration.
Mike

Sometimes the top guy wires are used to load the top of the antenna.
Do guy wires go completely to the top of the vertical radiator.