Old November 16th 05, 06:48 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Mark Zenier

Default Ferrite rod for MW antenna

In article .com,

++++++++++++++++++
For some ideas that work look up:
Burhans, RW; "VLF active antennas," Radio Electronics, pp. 63-66,
February 1983.(pdf)
Burhans, RW; "VLF active antennas-part 2," Radio Electronics, pp.
65-72, March 1983.(pdf)
at http://www.rsl.ku.edu/~eecs501/active_antennas/

His unusual "split/counter" wound ferrite loop works very well.
Smaller Ferrite rods will work at higher freqs.

The Burhans papers are on vertical whips. They are really noisy for HF.
But the list of papers is impressive.

The loop antenna article is in the June 1983 Radio-Electronics.

Mark Zenier

Old November 17th 05, 12:28 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

This is a good article. I've often wondered about that ferrite with the
two windings on it.
http://user.netonecom.net/~swordman/...Loops_Fig9.jpg
That is how my RDF antenna is designed. If you look at many of the old
boating RDFs, they use a stereo phone plug/jack as the interface, i.e.
two wire ends plus ground. The ferrite sits in a copper shield.

Untuned loops really make sense if your radio is decent. That is one
reason I like the wellbrook. But this paper has given me a few ideas on
how to use a RDF loop. Incidentally, the ferrite rods from these RDFs
show up occasionally at flea markets. The radio has crapped out, but
someone wisely saved the ferrite. I saw one on sale for $2 at the last
Livermore swap meet.

The Burhans papers are on vertical whips. They are really noisy for HF.
But the list of papers is impressive.

--------------------------
I can't find the link to a pdf of the entire article, so try:
http://user.netonecom.net/~swordman/Radio/re-loop-article.htm

Terry

Old November 17th 05, 02:21 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

wrote:
This is a good article. I've often wondered about that ferrite with the
two windings on it.
http://user.netonecom.net/~swordman/...Loops_Fig9.jpg
That is how my RDF antenna is designed. If you look at many of the old
boating RDFs, they use a stereo phone plug/jack as the interface, i.e.
two wire ends plus ground. The ferrite sits in a copper shield.

Untuned loops really make sense if your radio is decent. That is one
reason I like the wellbrook. But this paper has given me a few ideas on
how to use a RDF loop. Incidentally, the ferrite rods from these RDFs
show up occasionally at flea markets. The radio has crapped out, but
someone wisely saved the ferrite. I saw one on sale for $2 at the last
Livermore swap meet.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++
By using Litz wire and taking some care it is "easy" to get a ~10" X
3/4"
rod to work up to around 10MHz. Above that it goes downhill "real
fast".

I ran into this winding on a dead RCA RDF a friend gave me. I rembered
seeing the article back in Radio Electronics but had completly
forgotten.

Burhans had some designs that were light years a head of their time!

I wish I had payed more attention when they first came out. It was a
royal
PITA to get photocpies from the local university's enginering library
microfilm
editions of Radio Electronics.

Terry

Old November 17th 05, 04:36 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Aren't the whips just E-field sensitive? That is why they are noisy.
I'm not sure a better FET can get around a fundamental problem like
that.
The Burhans papers are on vertical whips. They are really noisy for HF.
But the list of papers is impressive.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Properly designed (and constructed) active antennas with a small (3'
or less) vertical
element can work very well. And in the right location will give a good
100' wire antenna
stiff competition. The trick is getting active devices good enough to
give acceptable
IMD performance. The JFETs Burhans are amazing and are still amoung the
best
easy to get devices avaliable.

I like the AmRad LF antenna as it still has enough gain to be very
usefull up to above
10M. The North Country Radio Active antenna is a lot chepaer and comes
as a nearly complete kit.
For construction details see:
http://www.northcountryradio.com/Published/actant_0896/page1.htm
For the ~45$ it represents a pretty good deal for anyone who needs an
active antenna.

Yodar in the shortwave antenna group mentioned they have changed the
FET and it
appears to be more resitant to IM.

Whatever you do avoid the McKay Dymek 100D! The 100E is now being sold,
but the
100D I tested was less then usefull. It belonged to a friend and was
NIB, but had set
around for a few years. The 100E could be decent or even great, but I
would as soon
as use a 50 Ohm dummy load as use the 100D.

Terry

Old November 17th 05, 04:40 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Is the skin effect significant because you are trying to get lots of
windings which implies fine wire? Also, what about spacing between the
wire (i.e. interwinding capacitance)?

One of the papers mentioned the higher permeability cores had lower
bandwidth.

I've been fiddling with multiple turns with the Wellbrook ALA100. I've
got so much signal strength on local BCB that I can hear an internal
relay switching in an attenuating pad.