Old November 25th 05, 05:46 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Larry

Default What's it mean?

Occasionally when tuning through the short-wave bands, I'll find a carrier
signal that pegs my s-meter but there is absolute dead silence in terms of
voice, code, etc. Sometimes it lasts for hours, sometimes it goes away
rather quickly.

Old November 25th 05, 06:07 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Brian Hill

"Larry" wrote in message
Occasionally when tuning through the short-wave bands, I'll find a carrier
signal that pegs my s-meter but there is absolute dead silence in terms of
voice, code, etc. Sometimes it lasts for hours, sometimes it goes away
rather quickly.

Just a transmitter that's on.

--

Regards
B.H.

Brian's Basement
http://webpages.charter.net/brianhill/6.htm

Brian's Radio Universe
http://webpages.charter.net/brianhill/500.htm

Old November 25th 05, 06:56 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Mark Zenier

In article , Brian Hill wrote:

"Larry" wrote in message
Occasionally when tuning through the short-wave bands, I'll find a carrier
signal that pegs my s-meter but there is absolute dead silence in terms of
voice, code, etc. Sometimes it lasts for hours, sometimes it goes away
rather quickly.

Just a transmitter that's on.

Or a TV set or other video gear (3.5785 MHz, 7.159 MHz, etc). Or any
microprocessor controled home appliance. These are often on 1 1MHz
multiples, or on TV color burst frequencies, (3.5975 MHz or multiples
for US), because the resonators/crystals are cheap. Or computer gear.
Or your neighbor's pickup truck's engine controller. Or an internal spur
in your receiver.

7159 is a problem for me, as 7160 is the BBC frequency for 16:00-18:00
for the North Pacific area.

Mark Zenier