Old November 26th 05, 09:14 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
OregonMike

Default Best SWL RCVR to buy?

I'm planning to buy a new rcvr and would love some input on the current
scene.
Things that pop into my mind that are a must are

(1) SSB/CW reception
(2) Freq. read out (LCD or whatever)
(3) External antenna support
(4) High sensitiviy and selectivity

I haven't looked at SWL RCVRs in some time and don't really know much
of what's best to get with the ones I'm seeing available to buy online.
I'm not even keen on where the best place to buy on is. Any help or
input would be great!

Thanks,

OM

Old November 26th 05, 01:58 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David

On 26 Nov 2005 01:14:28 -0800, "OregonMike"
wrote:

I'm planning to buy a new rcvr and would love some input on the current
scene.
Things that pop into my mind that are a must are

(1) SSB/CW reception
(2) Freq. read out (LCD or whatever)
(3) External antenna support
(4) High sensitiviy and selectivity

I haven't looked at SWL RCVRs in some time and don't really know much
of what's best to get with the ones I'm seeing available to buy online.
I'm not even keen on where the best place to buy on is. Any help or
input would be great!

Thanks,

OM

There are 4 entry level receivers.

ICOM R75

Eton E1

Palstar R30

Yaesu FRG-100B

Old November 26th 05, 09:47 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

The Icom R-75 or Yaesu FRG-100 are your best bets for the price.

FC

Old November 27th 05, 02:57 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
junius

I agree with David he if portability is an issue (and you're
looking for above average portable performance), then you would be
advised to look toward the Eton E1.

You might also look into getting your hands on a used Drake SW8
receiver. It's a significantly bulkier than the Eton. In terms of
size and layout, it's much like your average tabletop, but it can be
run off 6 D cells and has a handle. Bear in mind that this model,
which first came into production in, I believe 1994, underwent some
design changes from 1997 (sychronous selectable sideband was added, as
opposed to double-sideband synch in the earlier models, and also a
pre-amp to the internal whip was added from 1996). I've got one of the
earlier and one of the latter. Both are excellent, but clearly the
sychronous selectable sideband is a significant performance enhancing
feature. The SW8 sounds great for program listening, as well.

junius

OregonMike wrote:
Oh,

one more thing I forget to mention as a "must" is

(5) portability.

I'd like to be able to take this wherever while at the same time used
it at home connected to an outdoor antenna array.

OM

Old November 27th 05, 03:06 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
junius

Indeed, the R8B is a stellar performer, as are all of the R8 series by
Drake. Mr. Oregon might take a look at qth.net classifieds for used
Drake R8/R8A/R8B, if eventually opting for a tabletop model.

I'm with dxAce on this one: I swear by Drake receivers. I've at one
time owned and used or currently own and use the following from the
Drake family: R8, R8A, R8B, SW8 ('94), SW8 ('97). Excellent
performance from all, and never a hitch or need for repairs.

junius

wrote:
I have the R75

I am dissapointed with it's out of the box performance. It is very
distorted and sync doesn't work. I am about to send it off for audio
and sync mods. It seems to be well constructed and otherwise easy to
operate with nice big display. I hear that the mods will make it work
a lot better

I thought at one time that it might give my R8B a good run for money
with the mods, but I'm backing off from that kinda thinking. The R8B
is a damn nice piece of gear. I actually thought that I might sell the
Drake once the ICOM got back with the mods. I'll probably keep both

Go for a R8B if the price isn't a prob. Otherwise maybe R75 with the
mods would be a good choice.

73
NEO

Old November 27th 05, 03:28 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
MojaveDxer

The stock Icom R-75 is very nice once you get over the learning curve
with the filters and passband. The Synchronous AM is broken so I just
use ECSS . The Yaesu FRG-100 is ok but there is nothing great about it.
I would love to have a RB8 but I am still tring to find an owner to
part with it. I am going to get a 7030+ before AOR throws in the towel
and gets out of the market like Drake did.

Old November 27th 05, 04:19 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David Eduardo

"Rob" wrote in message
R8B is a big dissapointment too....as with anything made by DRAKE

Yeah, it is essentially the gold standard for AM mode DX, whether MW or SW.
There is nothing even close to it in this usage, even for several time the
price.

Old November 27th 05, 05:15 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Buzzygirl

"Rob" wrote in message
R8B is a big dissapointment too....as with anything made by DRAKE

I would consider myself fortunate if I could claim to have owned a Drake SW
receiver long enough to have been able to test it to the point where I could
find its weak points. Though I haven't owned this radio, I've listened to
those owned by friends, and can say that they are pretty much without peer
in the SW receiver world at their price level.

I assume from the tone of your post that you had a negative experience with
a Drake shortwave receiver?

Jackie

Old November 27th 05, 11:35 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
dxAce

Rob wrote:

R8B is a big dissapointment too....as with anything made by DRAKE

LMAO...

dxAce
Michigan
USA

FS: Kenwood R-2000 rcvr with upgrades [email protected] Swap 0 December 31st 04 03:36 AM
FS: Icom R-70 Rcvr Keith Thomas Swap 0 September 4th 04 09:36 PM
FS: Icom IC-R70 Rcvr Keith Thomas Swap 1 September 4th 04 11:08 AM
FS: Sierra 121 Tunable VTVM/VLF Rcvr Walter Treftz Equipment 0 December 22nd 03 04:58 PM
CCIR Coefficients METHOD 6 REC533 // AUCKLAND --> SEATTLE http://CBC.am/ Shortwave 0 July 16th 03 08:21 AM