Old December 11th 05, 02:09 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Radio Receiver

At the Goodwill store this afternoon,among some other thingys I bought,I
bought a Pioneer Stereo Receiver SX-690 ($5.00) (on the rear panel of
the receiver,it says Pioneer Stereo Receiver Model NO.SX-690 and it was
made in Korea) and two large Pioneer speakers ($3.00 each speaker) When
I just now set the receiver on my couch to get a better look at it under
the light,I heard something loose moving/rattling around in
there.Anyway,there was no owners manual with the receiver at the
Goodwill thrift store.What can y'all folks who know about those kinds of
AM/FM/Stereo receivers tell me about the receiver? Was it an expensive
receiver,new price? Is it suppose to be a very good super duper
receiver? assuming it works ok? Maybe somebody can devilfinder.com (I
hate google) more information and an online operators manual about the
receiver?
cuhulin

Old December 11th 05, 04:55 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
m II

At the Goodwill store this afternoon,among some other thingys I bought,I
bought a Pioneer Stereo Receiver SX-690 ($5.00) (on the rear panel of
the receiver,it says Pioneer Stereo Receiver Model NO.SX-690

.................................................. .................................................. ............
I bought 6 stereo receivers last summer at yard sales. Two of them
were perfect and the others had problems but were sort of working. The
most common problems we one of the final amps blown, a blown fet in
the fm rf amp, scratchy controls, and intermittent capacitors. The main
reason people got rid of them was updating to new digital equipment and
they had been in use since the 70s. As far as I know, Pioneer made
pretty good stuff and you might get lucky. There were so many of them
around, I didnt bother to fix them (average cost=$2). I would make sure
the speakers were working and not shorted and hook them up, power up
and hope for the best. Some of these receivers had poor AM sections and
you might have to play with an antenna. Many people want the latest and
best and throw out perfecly good analog equipment that still produce
cheerful sounds. I still use casettes and they sound pretty good to me.

I just picked up a boat anchor of a cassette player for five bucks. it's
a Pioneer FT 9191 and sounds great. All the controls work, no dirty
pots, etc..It was a good day.It's the heaviest cassette player I've ever
held.

http://www.classic-audio.com/pioneer...tf9191.jpg.jpg

I have a half baked theory that if you don't know anything about the
quality of an old receiver/tuner etc., use the WEIGHT as an indicator.

So far so good..

mike
Old December 11th 05, 04:56 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

The receiver has a large what I think might be an antenna on the rear
panel,there are a bunch of wires from the "antenna" (if it is an
antenna) that lead to the inside of the receiver and the base of the
"antenna" is made so that it will swing straight up and it can be parked
in a horizontal position.Maybe it is an FM antenna.There are a heck of a
lot of jacks and things on the rear panel for hooking up speakers and
other things,whatever.And there are two outlets on the rear panel that
say switched 50w max and unswitched 100w max 120 volts ac and other
jacks for input tape 1 and tape 2 and there are some little thumbscrews
for hooking up antenna.Heck,this receiver looks too complicated for
me.Before I ever get around to trying it out with a couple of speakers,I
will get the cabinet off of the receiver and see whatever it is that is
loose and rattles around in there.
cuhulin

Old December 11th 05, 04:59 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
dxAce

m II wrote:

[...]

I had an FT-9090, think it's the same, just that the 9090 had an all metal cabinet. Mid 70's or so stuff.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old December 11th 05, 05:06 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Well,I am glad you found a good Boat Anchor.
cuhulin

Old December 11th 05, 05:07 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David

On Sun, 11 Dec 2005 15:55:26 GMT, m II wrote:

[...]

They made them big so GIs could use them to smuglle contraband out of
Vietnam.

Old December 11th 05, 05:11 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

classic-audio eh? I sent that website www.classic-audio.com to my
good old Alice (George Goebel old tv shows from back in the 1950's I
used to watch on tv Radio,,, good old Alice) webtv thingy.
cuhulin

Old December 11th 05, 05:13 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
m II

dxAce wrote:

I had an FT-9090, think it's the same, just that the 9090 had an all metal cabinet. Mid 70's or so stuff.

I think you're right. I'm surprised the 'pinch wheel' or capstan or
whatever it's called hasn't deteriorated yet. I have an old reel to reel
with a rotting rubber 'pinchroller?'. I don't know if any new old stock
is available anywhere.

mike
Old December 11th 05, 05:14 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Walk The Line commercial on DirecTV right now.Johnny Cash had a name
like Sue,I have me a pretend name like Alice at webtv.Hit it Johnny
Cash,,,,,,
cuhulin