Old December 13th 05, 06:58 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
junius

Default Reading Suggestions for the Shortwave/History Enthusiast

A few suggestions...

Heil, Alan L., Jr. Voice of America: A History. Columbia University
Press, 2003.

Nelson, Michael. War of the Black Heavens: The Battles of Western
Broadcasting in the Cold War. Syracuse University Press, 1997.

Puddington, Arch. Broadcasting Freedom: The Cold War Triumph of Radio
Free Europe and Radio Liberty. University of Kentucky Press, 2000.

Urban, George R. Radio Free Europe and the Pursuit of Democracy: My
War Within the Cold War. Yale University Press, 1997.

You can often find nice discounts by searching through the
used/remainder books on Amazon. Happy readin', folks.

Junius

Old December 13th 05, 11:38 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Joe Analssandrini

Dear Junius,

Thanks for the heads-up. They all sound like good choices. May I make a
suggestion for another title?

Berg, Jerome S., ON THE SHORTWAVES, 1923-1945, McFarland & Company,
Inc., 1999

How about some of you other guys? Do you know any more worthwhile SW
history books?

Best,

Joe

Old December 14th 05, 01:30 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Greg

From: "Joe Analssandrini"
Newsgroups: rec.radio.shortwave
Date: 13 Dec 2005 15:38:00 -0800

Dear Junius,

Thanks for the heads-up. They all sound like good choices. May I make a
suggestion for another title?

Berg, Jerome S., ON THE SHORTWAVES, 1923-1945, McFarland & Company,
Inc., 1999

How about some of you other guys? Do you know any more worthwhile SW
history books?

Best,

Joe

Joe, I don't know of any books, but you may find this interesting:

http://jproc.ca/radiostor/reading.html

....especially "Wireless and the Titanic".

Best regards,

Greg