Old December 14th 05, 05:16 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default Drake Receivers

The sync works better on the B rev. I'm not sure why you would want the
E rev since it has some restrictions on the frequency range.

We did a shoot out once (multiple radios tested at the same
location/antenna.). The Drake sync doesn't work as well as the AR7030
on weak signals, otherwise it's pretty good. The sync not that big of a
deal, and used Drake R8's are half the price of the AR7030+. If you
ever operate in the field, I'd suggest the AR7030 as it is much more
compact. The Drake is big due to the number of buttons on the panel.
The 7030 uses a menus approach that reduces the number of buttons, but
some people just can't handle it.

Steve Rabinowitz wrote:
Been looking to buy a Drake receiver on Ebay, which one is the most
recommended, the R-8, R-8A, R-8B or R-8E. Thanks.

Old December 14th 05, 05:24 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

In my experience the R8B's sync detector is a definite step up from
that of the 7030+, even though the latter is very good. I think the
R8B's sync detector is probably the best one available in a consumer
grade receiver. Others may see it differently, but there's my two
cents. I do like the way you have both automatic and manual settings
for the sync on the 7030+, and it's neat to watch the receiver retune
itself with the sync detector auto mode. Still, if we're only talking
about the ability to make weak, messy signals intelligible, the R8B
wins.

Steve

Old December 14th 05, 05:55 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

And here,I buy most of my old beat up Radios over yonder at the Goodwill
store.But,it all works out ok because I flirt with them wimmins over
yonder too.One "certain woman" wanted to "see" more than the law
allows,,,,,, I was almosttttttt persuadedddddd,,,,,,,,,
cuhulin

Old December 14th 05, 05:57 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Get a Drake or a Ten-Tec,,, Dont mess around with that other sissy
kidstuff.
cuhulin

Old December 15th 05, 01:53 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

The 7030 sync is a bit more versitile that that on the R8B. You can
even do DSB reception, or any mixture of LSB and USB. It's hard to
explain unless you have used one. However, the Drake gives you more
bang for the buck, especially with the weak dollar.

We did the test during the day, which is pretty difficult for
shortwave. The nice thing about the 7030 sync is it never growled
during extreme fading.

Old December 15th 05, 04:02 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
John Plimmer

You must have been testing the R8 or R8A against the 7030.
The R8B's sync detector is the best available outside of a Sherwood and it's
performance and flexibility is simply superb.
It will lock onto a deep fade like a bulldog to a burglar and NEVER looses
lock or growls.
It will even lock onto the signal if it is offset by the passband control,
something the 7030 can't do.
I had the opportunity to put the Drake alongside the 7030 for over a month.
See my article at:
http://www.dxing.info/equipment/aor_...r8a_plimmer.dx
South 33 d 47 m 32 s, East 20 d 07 m 32 s
RX Icom IC-756 PRO III with MW mods
Drake SW8 & ERGO software
Sony 7600D GE SRIII
BW XCR 30, Braun T1000, Sangean 818 & 803A.
GE circa 50's radiogram
Antenna's RF Systems DX 1 Pro, Datong AD-270
Kiwa MW Loop
http://www.dxing.info/about/dxers/plimmer.dx

ups.com...

Old December 15th 05, 04:12 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Actually, using the passband shift is essential to the operation of the
7030. Well whatever, I'm not going to get involved in these
discussions where people defend their hardware as they never end. We
did the shootout and the conclusions were pretty clear.
Incidentally, it was the 7030+NB, not that it should make a difference.

John Plimmer wrote:
[...]

ups.com...

Old December 16th 05, 12:25 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Yes, HF Guy and Telemon, you guys hit the nail on the head. The sync on
the R8B is the best.

Steve