Old December 16th 05, 03:48 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Default 136khz data signal

www.lazygranch.com/sound/shortwave/136khz.wav
Recorded in the SF bay area. I got the demo of skysweeper to decode it
as FSK, though not terribly interesting data.

Any idea of the source of this signal?

Old December 16th 05, 12:04 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Casper Milquetoast

wrote in message
oups.com...
www.lazygranch.com/sound/shortwave/136khz.wav
Recorded in the SF bay area. I got the demo of skysweeper to decode it
as FSK, though not terribly interesting data.

Any idea of the source of this signal?

"Lowfer" radio hobbyists

Old December 16th 05, 05:31 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Ron Baker, Pluralitas!

wrote in message
oups.com...
www.lazygranch.com/sound/shortwave/136khz.wav
Recorded in the SF bay area. I got the demo of skysweeper to decode it
as FSK, though not terribly interesting data.

Any idea of the source of this signal?

Interesting. Narrow shift (50 Hz?).
50 Baud. Minimum shift keying apparently.
Similar to DGPS but different.

I can receive it in San Diego but it is
pretty weak.

This fellow has an experimental license:
http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2003/08/07/2/?nc=1
But he is sending CW, not FSK.

(US hams don't have an allocation the
http://www.eham.net/articles/6372?eh...2e34c1bc3ec1a3 )

--
rb

Old December 16th 05, 08:56 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Mark Zenier

In article ,
Casper Milquetoast wrote:

wrote in message
roups.com...
www.lazygranch.com/sound/shortwave/136khz.wav
Recorded in the SF bay area. I got the demo of skysweeper to decode it
as FSK, though not terribly interesting data.

Any idea of the source of this signal?

"Lowfer" radio hobbyists

The US Lowfer band is 160-190 kHz. 47CFR15.217

Mark Zenier
Old December 17th 05, 03:22 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

The only problem I had with it was trying to run it under X64. I works
under XP and win2k.

Sometimes if the program is written under later versions of VB (which I
don't know for a fact regarding this program), the DLLs are not
present. [This happens with X64.] The older versions of VB created
larger files, but were less dependent on the OS being stuffed with the
right DLLs.

If the complaint is missing files, google the name of those files. If
you find them, place them in the same directory as the install program.
This will get the program working at least once. At that point, you
need to do the research to see where exactly the DLLs normally reside.
Any chance you are using windows ME (the minus edition)?

If you could write up how to install Octave with cygwin, I'd appreciate
it. I was trying to run GRASS, another linux program, with cygwin, and
had no luck. Grass can compute line of sight regions using USGS
seamless files. It's not really useful for HF, but it is useful for VHF
on up.

Ron Baker, Pluralitas! wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...
You could probably get it on your fillings in northern Ca. I've got it
as just shy of S+30 on my ALA100 (3 turns, about 40ft total), in the
daytime. I first detected this signal in central Nevada when looking
for beacons in September this year.

The recording is PCM to make it easy to decode.

BTW, I found the webiste for Octave, but can't get the windows version
working. I've had hit and miss results with Cygwin. I'm going to set
up another linux machine and quit messing with windows ports. [I had a
quad-boot PC with one OS as SUSE linux, but had to steal back the disk
space. This time I'll just build a second PC.]

I forgot it is tied to Cygwin. But I'm always running Cygwin.
I've never had great problems installing it.
But hey, Linux aint a bad way to go either.

Your mentioning SkySweeper got me interested.
I down loaded the demo version and tried to install it.
The install fails because it complains it can't find all the
components. I've downloaded it, extracted it, and tried
to run setup. All of that twice.
Have you had any problems like that?

--
rb

Old December 17th 05, 09:07 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

FWIW, the signal is no longer modulated at 1Am PST. The carrier is at
135.95 when I use the sync mode to lock onto it. The signal is just as
strong, simply not modulated.

Old December 17th 05, 04:36 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Ron Baker, Pluralitas!

wrote in message
oups.com...
The only problem I had with it was trying to run it under X64. I works
under XP and win2k.

I've got old XP.

Sometimes if the program is written under later versions of VB (which I
don't know for a fact regarding this program), the DLLs are not
present. [This happens with X64.] The older versions of VB created
larger files, but were less dependent on the OS being stuffed with the
right DLLs.

If the complaint is missing files, google the name of those files. If

It doesn't give any file names.

I think I will contact the company.

you find them, place them in the same directory as the install program.
This will get the program working at least once. At that point, you
need to do the research to see where exactly the DLLs normally reside.
Any chance you are using windows ME (the minus edition)?

If you could write up how to install Octave with cygwin, I'd appreciate

It's been a long time since I installed it.
I installed version 2.1.36. Looks like 2.1.72 is the current best.
During the install I believe I referred to the following:
http://www.eng.chula.ac.th/~fmescw/O...%20Windows.htm

it. I was trying to run GRASS, another linux program, with cygwin, and
had no luck. Grass can compute line of sight regions using USGS
seamless files. It's not really useful for HF, but it is useful for VHF
on up.

Interesting.

--
rb

Old December 17th 05, 07:50 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/mappinghks/

This is the book to get if you want to run grass or a similar program
to compute line of sight maps. If you have a Fry's electronics, they
will have it. It was a freebie when it first came out (with rebate). I
have four of those O'Reilly hack books free from rebate. Such a
deal.....

Ron Baker, Pluralitas! wrote:
oups.com...

Old December 17th 05, 08:20 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Here is an example of using GRASS for line of sight mapping
http://www.gis.unbc.ca/courses/geog4.../vera_lindsay/
By a high school student, no less.

Much of the on-line use of GRASS has been related to wifi mapping.
Check out
http://nocat.net/

Ron Baker, Pluralitas! wrote:
oups.com...