Old December 18th 05, 05:58 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Robert11

Default PAR EFL-SWL Antenna, and Inverted-L Antenna Questions

Hello:

Have been putting a fair amount of time into
trying to understand antenna radiation patterns.
Guess I finally have to admit that I'm 3d challenged, and frankly have
difficulty in visualizing them.

So, let me just ask:

Am thinking of purchasing a PAR EFL- SWL receive only antenna for my attic.
Can probably be considered as an end fed dipole
Will probably run it as an inverted L, with the vertical section being about
10 feet, and going from the attic to the floor below where the radio is. As
the total length is 45', this would leave 35 feet going horizontally.
(placing outside would not be practical)

Interested in as omni as possible, as do listening most anywhere from 0.5 to
30 MHz.

Have two questions, please:

a. anyone ever use this antenna ? Think it would be "substantially" better
than what I have now which is a simle random length wire going around the 4
sides of my attic. Would sure appreciate any thoughts and opinions on this
PAR unit.

b. How "omni" is it ?

e.g.,

If I have the wire axis running N-S, is most of the sensitivity then in the
E-W direction (perpendicular to the wire) ?

If so, will I pick up "anything" in the N-S direction ?

Thanks,

Old December 18th 05, 07:28 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Old December 18th 05, 07:58 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Telamon

In article ,
"Robert11" wrote:

[...]

The antenna will pick up stations in all directions. Usually the issue
here is the height above ground which will determine the horizon
visibility of the antenna. The higher up the antenna the more horizon it
will see and have a lower angle of reception. Generally the higher up
the antenna is the stronger the signal will be that it picks up. Being
in your attic it's probably on the order of 20 feet off the ground so it
will have a tendency to distort any pattern it may have higher off the
ground. Being in the attic will further distort the innate pattern the
antenna may have and spread out any lobes in the pattern.

--
Telamon
Ventura, California

Old December 18th 05, 10:30 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF

DaviD - 'you' are most eloquent . . .
when you say the least )

DaviD - and these blank posts
almost make 'you' sound like
.. . . an intellectual genus ;-}

just for the fun of it ! :0/ ~ RHF
Old December 18th 05, 10:31 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF

DaviD - 'you' are most eloquent . . .
when you say the least )

DaviD - and these blank posts
almost make 'you' sound like
.. . . an intellectual genus ;-}

just for the fun of it ! :0/ ~ RHF
Old December 18th 05, 10:51 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David

On 18 Dec 2005 14:31:19 -0800, "RHF"
wrote:

DaviD - 'you' are most eloquent . . .
when you say the least )

DaviD - and these blank posts
almost make 'you' sound like
. . . an intellectual genus ;-}

just for the fun of it ! :0/ ~ RHF
.
.
. .

My ISP is hiccuping.

Old December 18th 05, 11:26 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
RHF

David - " My ISP " - 'ISP' sounds more like a Lisp ) ~ RHF
Old December 19th 05, 01:39 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David

On 18 Dec 2005 23:28:10 -0800, "RHF"
wrote:

Yes David " Sometimes a banana is just a banana... "
but then again . . . ~ RHF
.
.
. .

Down boy. You've been spending too much time in the Bay Area...