Old December 22nd 05, 03:50 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
mike maghakian

Default excellent receiver test

do you want to see if your receiver has the "right stuff" ? here is an
excellent test.
in the evening (about 0200-0700) tune to 6139.8 with your receivers basic
settings, you should get a terrible het (wiht 6140). if you can get rid of
the het and listen to the low power south american local with great clarity
then your receiver has the right stuff. if no het is present, then try later
when the station on 6140 is present.

the S800 can do it supurbly with its selectable side band sync. MOST
receivers can't even do a fair job or they take a lot of work to get barely
decent results. some of the receivers that can do it give poor fidelity.

Old December 22nd 05, 04:18 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Brian Denley

mike maghakian wrote:
do you want to see if your receiver has the "right stuff" ? here is
an excellent test.
in the evening (about 0200-0700) tune to 6139.8 with your receivers
basic settings, you should get a terrible het (wiht 6140). if you can
get rid of the het and listen to the low power south american local
with great clarity then your receiver has the right stuff. if no het
is present, then try later when the station on 6140 is present.

the S800 can do it supurbly with its selectable side band sync. MOST
receivers can't even do a fair job or they take a lot of work to get
barely decent results. some of the receivers that can do it give poor
fidelity.

Most good systems (DSP or otherwise) can also notch it out.

--
Brian Denley

Old December 22nd 05, 11:08 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
johnboy

I looked for the "low power south american local " and only found a
"ROCKCRUSHER south american local " at 40 db over s-9 here in Kentucky??
I'm only using an Icom IC-78 Export Amateur rig...Superhet is gone by
hitting the notch...not that it mattered much anyway cause the station is a
lot louder than it is here.By the way I tried it in AM....SSB is too easy

Will turn on the
Tennessee Trash RX-340 after dinner and let you know if its a runner up with
the "800"

If thats a weak station I'd sure as hell worry about my radio if I hit a
strong one!

LOL

Old December 22nd 05, 11:11 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
johnboy

Superhet?

Damn I'm gittin old...mind is going

HET is what I meant LOL!

Old December 22nd 05, 11:15 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Les

johnboy wrote:
[...]

Mike is on the left coast in Washington state I believe. Your location
would make a south american station easy to receive.

Les

Old December 22nd 05, 11:16 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
dxAce

johnboy wrote:

I looked for the "low power south american local " and only found a
"ROCKCRUSHER south american local " at 40 db over s-9 here in Kentucky??
I'm only using an Icom IC-78 Export Amateur rig...Superhet is gone by
hitting the notch...not that it mattered much anyway cause the station is a
lot louder than it is here.By the way I tried it in AM....SSB is too easy

That's Radio Lider on 6139.8 in Bogota, Colombia. I believe they run 5 kW.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old December 23rd 05, 03:45 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Tom Holden

"mike maghakian" wrote in message
do you want to see if your receiver has the "right stuff" ? here is an
excellent test.
in the evening (about 0200-0700) tune to 6139.8 with your receivers basic
settings, you should get a terrible het (wiht 6140). if you can get rid of
the het and listen to the low power south american local with great
clarity then your receiver has the right stuff. if no het is present, then
try later when the station on 6140 is present.

the S800 can do it supurbly with its selectable side band sync. MOST
receivers can't even do a fair job or they take a lot of work to get
barely decent results. some of the receivers that can do it give poor
fidelity.

Sounds like a repeat of the same thread you started back in May, viz
http://www.radio-forum.com/shortwave...ow_438287.html . I
would suggest that the interferer would have to be transmitting on one
sideband only for any receiver to be able to pull out the other sideband of
the desired station, if the carriers are co-channel. In which case, lots of
radios with fairly steep-skirted filters would do fine.

Tom

Old December 23rd 05, 06:11 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
mike maghakian

the serious problem with deep skirted filters is that the audio will stink !

besides almost no receivers are sold with deep skirts, most have the
cheapest piece of garbage they can find. Don't know of any receiver sold in
the past 20 years below $500 that had decent filters other than the S800 or
E1

if anyone is aware of a sub $500 new radio with excellent filters please let
me know. I may have forgotten (but I doubt it)

.. .

Old December 23rd 05, 06:14 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
mike maghakian

for a receiver with a good DSP section, that is true, but a manual notch is
a pain in the neck in my opinion, you have to worry about the width and
depth and centering it. the R8 notch was worthless as were most of the
others I have worked with. a DSP autonotch is pretty nice tho.

Old December 23rd 05, 12:13 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
dxAce

mike maghakian wrote:

for a receiver with a good DSP section, that is true, but a manual notch is
a pain in the neck in my opinion, you have to worry about the width and
depth and centering it. the R8 notch was worthless as were most of the
others I have worked with. a DSP autonotch is pretty nice tho.

Worthless? Me thinks operator error.

dxAce
Michigan
USA