Old January 2nd 06, 02:18 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Jim Hackett

Default Yaesu VR-5000 ?

While it is far from perfect, it IS my favorite radio. The manual is a
joke...

wrote in message
In article XL%tf.20473$AP5.12866@edtnps84, says...
Anyone have any experience with this set? I've read the menu setup is
awkward. Is this set discontinued? Were there any glitches in the
firmware?

http://www.radioworld.ca/swscan/yaesu.php

I have two Yaesu (FRG-7 and FRG-9600) radios now and was wondering how
the 5000 compares performance wise.

mike

For some reviews from users, go here
http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/1197

rated 3.7/5 for what it is worth.

Old January 2nd 06, 04:27 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
craigm

m II wrote:

Jim Hackett wrote:

While it is far from perfect, it IS my favorite radio. The manual is a
joke...

I've gone through the reviews and find it confusing. I don't think I've
ever seen a radio with such polarized reviews. People seem to think
they're great or that they're junk.

The inadequate Chinese power supply seems to be one of the biggest
concerns, as version 1.7 firmware has apparently fixed a lot of the
problems.

The extreme width of the coverage makes this an appealing set. I will do
more research.

mike

Mike,

The radio has a cool display but very poor dynamic range. Almost any antenna
will provide too much signal.

Craigm

Old January 2nd 06, 08:37 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
dxAce

m II wrote:

Jim Hackett wrote:

While it is far from perfect, it IS my favorite radio. The manual is a
joke...

I've gone through the reviews and find it confusing. I don't think I've
ever seen a radio with such polarized reviews. People seem to think
they're great or that they're junk.

The inadequate Chinese power supply seems to be one of the biggest
concerns, as version 1.7 firmware has apparently fixed a lot of the
problems.

The extreme width of the coverage makes this an appealing set. I will do
more research.

It's the width of the coverage that makes them operate rather poorly across the
spectrum.

Everything becomes a compromise.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old January 2nd 06, 10:37 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Jim Hackett

If you do get one, I'd suggest a BCB filter, FM trap, and a preselector. It
is a VERY sensitive radio with not a lot of dynamic range. Using the ATT
ocassionally helps also. With the proper external tools in place, it does
just fine on H.F....

"m II" wrote in message news:i5guf.20195$km.9910@edtnps89...
Jim Hackett wrote:

While it is far from perfect, it IS my favorite radio. The manual is a
joke...

I've gone through the reviews and find it confusing. I don't think I've
ever seen a radio with such polarized reviews. People seem to think
they're great or that they're junk.

The inadequate Chinese power supply seems to be one of the biggest
concerns, as version 1.7 firmware has apparently fixed a lot of the
problems.

The extreme width of the coverage makes this an appealing set. I will do
more research.

mike

Announcing the 'new' Yaesu FRG-7700 Receiver Users eGroup on YAHOO ! RHF Shortwave 1 November 9th 10 11:37 PM
Yaesu VR 5000 Mark S. Holden Shortwave 0 February 16th 05 05:20 PM
FS: Icom, Yaesu, Alinco Manuals R.Smith Swap 0 February 15th 04 11:45 PM
BOLO STOLEN XTL5000 mobiles here are serials and models john private smith Swap 2 January 6th 04 05:01 AM
FS: Icom, Yaesu Service Manuals Russell Swap 1 January 6th 04 12:34 AM