Old January 3rd 06, 04:00 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
€ Dr. Artaud €

Default Icom R-75

I meant to post this anomaly some time ago. I have the Icom R-75, among
other radios. One day I tried to turn the radio on, but no such luck.
Pressing the button would yield nothing but a mild popping noise from the
radio, very short in duration. Leave the radio off for a little while,
try pressing the button again, and the little pop could be heard again.
(Just the most minor noise issuing from the speaker). I resigned myself
to the belief that the radio was going to need to be returned for
service.

Just to be sure, I checked the power connections and the power supply (an
SEC 1223 Power Supply that supplies multiple radios). The supply was OK;
I removed and reinserted the connection in the radio. The other radios on
the power supply worked ok. Sheesh, I could find nothing simple.

Before I consigned the radio to its box for shipping, I decided to try
the supply that came with the radio. No luck. Shucks, so I did what any
Red Blooded American would do, I smacked the radio a couple of times.

I again hooked up the Icom supply to the radio, pressed the button, and
viola!, it power up normally.

I returned it to the SEC 1223 power supply and all was well there too.
It's been fine ever since.

Has anyone else experienced similar problems with their radios?

I use HAM Radio Deluxe with the radio, so sometimes the controls are
software driven. This leaves the radio in the odd condition of having the
volume control turned all the way down, yet when the radio is first
turned on the volume can be quite loud. You need to turn the volume up
then down again to return it to normal operation.

Since HAM Radio Deluxe doesn't control the on and off, I doubt that the
software had anything to do with the failure to turn on. (Not to mention
that a smack fixed it.)

Just a thought.

Dr. Artaud