Old January 4th 06, 12:05 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
SeeingEyeDog

Default Best earbuds for sale in U.S.

I don't use "ear-buds" as they are not comfortable. I use the Sony MDR-7502
headphones for program listening.
They are small as headphones go but they are bigger than the typical Ipod or
headphones sold with cheap small portables. They are comfortable and seal
your ear so that external sounds won't bother you. The Sony MDR-7502 have a
frequency response of about 60 Hz to18000 Hz. They can be found for about
$40-$50.

For shortwave, HiFi headphones are overkill and may even be a detriment.
HiFi headphones were designed to reproduce full spectrum audio from around
20Hz to 20000Hz or even wider (CD's) which is the absolute maximum hearing
range of a person with perfect hearing. Most people's hearing is no where
near that good. In the case of shortwave DX listening, being deaf to high
audio frequencies is not be a bad thing.

Using HiFi headphones for listening to shortwave or even MW & FM radio
stations will cause listener's fatigue. That fatigue is caused by the hiss
reproduced by the HiFi headphones from the radio's internal circuitry and is
especially audible at higher volume levels. The typical shortwave radio and
MW broadcast's typical audio frequency range is about 100Hz to around 8000Hz
(? - someone correct me on this). Anything you can hear outside that range
will be N-o-I-s-E! Furthermore on shortwave, the band noise and static
crashes are in the high audio frequency range which a HiFi headphone will
probably emphasize in your ears. The result - listeners fatigue.

One pair of headphones manufactured today that is designed for weak signal
SSB and CW (Morse code) is the Kenwood HS-5 headphones.
http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/head/0357.html I use them when I
need to pick out a whisper in the mud. Their audio frequency response is
very narrow, 150 Hz - 4000 Hz, and I do not recommended them for arm chair
program listening - IMO. But effective on occasions for hearing weak
broadcast stations amongst annoying band noise and static crashes. My
HS-5's are just another DX "tool".

wrote in message
oups.com...

- header says it all..

long lastinig wires are the critical part

RSVP to thread

Old January 4th 06, 06:06 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
GYT

"SeeingEyeDog"
Good and very helpful post