Old January 6th 06, 03:12 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Pete KE9OA

Default Grundig Satellit 650 AGC problem

Has anybody encountered a problem with a Grundig 650? Here is the
problem...........if I have the AGC turned off, and the RF Gain control
turned up to maximum, everything is ok.
When I enable the AGC, the interstation noise has a howling crackling
quality........also, the receiver's gain is about 10dB lower. It almost
sounds like a bad AGC capacitor; if it is leaky, the gain of ther I.F.
system will be lower. A clue to this possibility is the crackling sounding
static. This is a characteristic of an envelope detector diode not
completely "turned on" by the I.F. signal.
Does anybody have any ideas? I am going to open up the unit this
evening......unfortunately, the closest thing I have is a model 600
schematic.

Pete

Old January 6th 06, 09:06 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
clifto

Pete KE9OA wrote:
Has anybody encountered a problem with a Grundig 650? Here is the
problem...........if I have the AGC turned off, and the RF Gain control
turned up to maximum, everything is ok.
When I enable the AGC, the interstation noise has a howling crackling
quality........also, the receiver's gain is about 10dB lower. It almost
sounds like a bad AGC capacitor; if it is leaky, the gain of ther I.F.
system will be lower. A clue to this possibility is the crackling sounding
static. This is a characteristic of an envelope detector diode not
completely "turned on" by the I.F. signal.
Does anybody have any ideas? I am going to open up the unit this
evening......unfortunately, the closest thing I have is a model 600
schematic.

Don't leave out the idea of badly designed AGC. I have one old GE AM-only
handheld radio I've been experimenting with on and off; it started out
pretty nicely sensitive, but I found out through tinkering that the AGC
was holding it back. In this 9V radio, I ended up putting something like
six 1N914's in series with the AGC line before the AGC stopped attenuating
weak signals.

I gotta get that thing back on the bench, especially now that I found the
schematic I drew (sloppy but effective). I had a real hoot experimenting
with various stuff on there.

Old January 7th 06, 06:37 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Pete KE9OA

I've got one of those 2999s. It is a very decent LW/MW receiver. The Grundig
650 has very similar performance on these bands. As I was playing with the
650, I noticed the effects of reciprocal mixing on the 19M band. Plenty of
sideband noise out of this synthesizer.

Pete

"rkhalona" wrote in message
oups.com...
Most likely a bad AGC capacitor. I had the same problem with my
Philips D2999.
I actually replaced the capacitor with a larger one (found by trial and
error) and that gave me a nicer AGC response (less pumping).

RK

NEW - Grundig Satellit 800 Millennium - WebPages on Grundig Radio . Com RHF Shortwave 0 November 30th 04 10:05 AM
Thinking about buying this radio GRUNDIG SATELLIT 800 MILLENNIUM SHORTWAVE RADIO/any feed back welcome Steve St. Denis Shortwave 2 July 21st 04 12:23 AM
Sony ICF-2010 S R Shortwave 7 March 8th 04 08:59 PM
Latest NEWS 'eton e1 xm' radio (Grundig Satellit 900) from . . . RHF Shortwave 2 February 5th 04 12:19 PM
Grundig Satellit 900 -=V=- Eton E1 XM Radio RHF Shortwave 5 February 5th 04 12:14 PM