RadioBanter

-   -   SW antenna for highrise building (https://www.radiobanter.com/shortwave/86171-sw-antenna-highrise-building.html)

ngu January 11th 06 12:10 PM

SW antenna for highrise building

I live in a concrete-and-steel highrise building. Various SW websites
advise that I could make an antenna made of "a few yards" of simple
insulated copper wire and hang it out of the window to improve
reception.

I've made one accordingly. The portion outside the window measures 3
yards in length and is pointing vertically down alongside the outer wall
of the building. Reception improves a bit but I'm still not getting the
stations I should be getting.

Could any SWers please let me know if:
1. my wire antenna is of the correct length; and
2. letting the wire antenna pointing vertically down alongside the outer
wall of the building is correct.

[email protected] January 11th 06 02:33 PM

SW antenna for highrise building

You're apt to get better results if you extend the wire out away from
the building, so that it's no longer inside the building's "noise
envelope". Perhaps you can dangle the wire off the far end of a fishing
pole?

If you're not too far from the roof of your building, it might be worth
asking whether you can locate a wire antenna up there. Find a couple of
ventilation pipes extending 10-12 ft above the roof, spaced 100 ft or
more apart and you'll be in good shape. Then just run a coax feedling
from the antenna to your receiver.

Steve

The Axelrods January 12th 06 01:59 AM

SW antenna for highrise building

There are various alternatives. see some at the AMANDX site at:

http://www.angelfire.com/mb/amandx/limitant.html

There maybe something that works for you. As for length often the longer the
better on a wire dropped out a window. I have used 25 feet with success. A
weight on the end keeps it hanging straight down

Shawn

David January 12th 06 03:05 AM

On Wed, 11 Jan 2006 20:10:49 +0800, ngu wrote:

I live in a concrete-and-steel highrise building. Various SW websites
advise that I could make an antenna made of "a few yards" of simple
insulated copper wire and hang it out of the window to improve
reception.

I've made one accordingly. The portion outside the window measures 3
yards in length and is pointing vertically down alongside the outer wall
of the building. Reception improves a bit but I'm still not getting the
stations I should be getting.

Could any SWers please let me know if:
1. my wire antenna is of the correct length; and
2. letting the wire antenna pointing vertically down alongside the outer
wall of the building is correct.

Do you have a porch?

[email protected] January 12th 06 03:32 AM

SW antenna for highrise building

google,Home brew Shortwave Antennas for apartment buildings

(Yes,google,I mistyped on purpose because I like to follow the Yellow
Brick Road)
cuhulin

ngu January 12th 06 06:52 AM

SW antenna for highrise building

Yes, I have a balcony (same as porch, I believe).

Last night I tied the 3 yard wire leading from the window of my room to
the balcony instead of letting it dangling down. The wire is now
therefore hanging horizontally outside the building although it is still
close to its wall.

Things improve. I am hearing the Voice of Russia, BBC (transmitting
from Thailand and Singapore) and VOA from my apartment home in Hong Kong.

I shall increase the length of the wire antenna and see how it goes.

Considering the fact that I live in the middle of a concrete jungle
(there're many other tall buildings in my vicinity), I'm already rather
pleased that I'm getting at least some SW reception at all with my US$8
made-in-China 9 band pocket radio.

Thanks all for their advice.

Just out of curiosity, do you guys think that the Sony active antenna,
placed near the window, will work better than the home made wire antenna
hanging outside in a concrete jungle environment?

Charly January 12th 06 09:27 AM

SW antenna for highrise building

ngu,

Since you live in Hong-Kong, I suggest you to get a Degen DE-31/Kaito KA-31
active antenna. It is another portable active loop, much cheaper than the Sony.
It is said to have lower performance than the Sony but to be a good bargain due
do its low price ( 20 US$).

You can see a review here (with Sony comp.) :
http://www.radiointel.com/review-degende31.htm

I have purchased one, but I don't have yet... A few days more to wait until it
ships to me !!

So far I've been using a home made wire dipole. Assuming your radio has a
external antenna jack connector or the like, you can give it a try. I've posted
the recipe a few days ago but I can repost here.

You need :
- coax feed line maid out from a piece of TV coax
- two thin wires, one connected to the center line of the coax,
the other connected to the shield.
- a suitable connector to your radio (1/8" mono jack for my Sangean)
connect center wire to connector tip, coax shield to the connector ring

You extend the two wires in opposite directions and it makes a portable random
dipole. Mine is about 5m fully extended, just because I had this length of wire.
No computation or studies to match specific frequency or having right impedance.
In buildings made of iron structure, I put it on a window with adhesive tape, or
let it hanging outside, trying to keep the two wires apparts.

This greatly improved my reception on all bands. I must say I tried mainly in
the lower bands in frequency (F = 15000 kHz) since I'm mostly listening at
night. MUCH BETTER than the piece of random wire I tried in the same conditions.

Hope this helps,

Charly

David January 12th 06 02:15 PM

On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 14:52:14 +0800, ngu wrote:

[...]

I'd get an MFJ-1024 or a Dymek Active, clamp it to the railing.

You can get the MFJ on a no questions asked trial basis.

[email protected] January 12th 06 02:27 PM

On Thu, 12 Jan 2006 14:15:26 GMT, David wrote:

[...]

MFJ = Mighty Fine Junk
Also, don't believe hem abut the no questions asked trial or their
warranty or basically anything else they promise to the customer other
than the stated price of the item.

[email protected] January 12th 06 02:59 PM

SW antenna for highrise building

I did my five days R&R in Hong Kong in 1964.(of course I wasen't
studying radios at the time,I was only twenty two years old,young and
foolish,,, But that's another story) Cholon section of Saigon was mostly
Chinese,I used to go to the Mido bar in Cholon and drink American soda
pop in the cans and play Chinese Checkers with an old Chinese woman
behind the bar.
cuhulin