Old January 26th 06, 04:22 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
D. Martin

Default Select a Tenna

Well, I've recently gotten a Select a Tenna, and would just like to
let everyone know that it functions as advertised. It works, makes a
significant differance, etc, etc, etc........

Darren

Old January 26th 06, 06:15 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

That first Sangean radio I bought from ccrane,the one Art Bell and
George Noory tout so much.At the same time,I bought a Select A Tenna to
use with that radio.Maybe it was the Sangean radio or some of my old
beat up radios,(as in,no hope for those old radios) but I didn't detect
any improvement whatsoever with that antenna,so I sent both items back
to ccrane.I am glad your Select A Tenna works ok though.
cuhulin

Old January 26th 06, 08:36 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

You need to tune the antenna in conjuction with the radio. It's a bit
of a pain in the DxAss. I know someone who got a select antenna at the
local flea market and found it to be effective with a Sony 7600.

I personally don't like tuned loops (which is what the select antenna
is). If you have a decent radio, it is better to just use a loop like
the Wellbrook, and let your radio do the filtering. In fact, when we
did comparisons with the Kiwa and the Wellbrook, you couldn't tell the
difference between them on his R8B. The Wellbrook had a higher reading
on the S-meter, but when you use amplified antennas, the reading isn't
as important as how the signal sounds. That is, with front end gain,
you can get just about any S-reading you want.

http://www.ccrane.com/antennas/am-an...lar-model.aspx
My recollection from seeing this in the flesh is the plastic was kind
of cheesy.

Old January 26th 06, 09:46 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I've had an Original Se;et A Tenna
now for over 10- years. It works
very good with some radios and not very well with others. I use it with
my Zenith Transoceanic R7000-1
and it does a terrific job, pulls the sifnals out of the "mud". The
original only works with radios that have builtin ferrite rod antennas.
It's kind of cheesy looking, yes for sure. But it is relativly cheap
and works well and LASTS. Very well made annd once bought it costs
nothing to operate.
I ytoed it with a neighbors ATS909 and it was mediocre at best. He bit
the bullet & bought one of to Twin Ferrite loops from CCrane ..it
worked well with the 909 and no better then the Selectatenna with my
Zenith. Evidently the ferrite rods size
and position in whatever radio used is a big factor.

Charlie
Essex, Md.
Drake R8B
Palstar R30CC
Sat800
Zenith t/o r7000-1

Old January 26th 06, 05:38 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I worked that Select A Tenna according to the instructions and I worked
that Select A Tenna in more gyrations than a teenage school girl.I still
couldn't get any improvement at all from both the radio and Select A
Tenna or any of my old beat up old radios I tried that Select A Tenna
with.It made me feel just like Richard Attenborough in the movie on
Radio tv right now (The Flight of the Phoneix) when he was standing in
the doorway of that Airplane,laughing and crying at the same time.
cuhulin

Old January 26th 06, 06:19 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I can pick up WLS (nightimes) on my worst old beat up radios.WLS is
easy.
cuhulin

Old January 26th 06, 06:24 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Magnavox thingys are underated and underappreciated.Magnavox made some
of the very best Radios in the World,bar none.It just so happens,my dumb
old webtv set top boxes are all Philips Magnavox webtv dumb old set top
boxes.And,Yes,I do own some old Magnavox Radios too.
cuhulin

Old January 26th 06, 06:38 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

I will never try out another Select A Tenna,unless I find one at the
Goodwill store for about fifty cents.Even then,I would feel like I am
wasteing that fifty cents.I would probally tie it on my little doggys
tail and let her drag it around this old hardwood floor.
cuhulin

Old January 26th 06, 09:53 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
David

On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 11:19:18 -0600, wrote:

I can pick up WLS (nightimes) on my worst old beat up radios.WLS is
easy.
cuhulin

I said in the daytime, Beetle Baily.

My Tenna didn't work so well!!! Burr Shortwave 12 March 5th 05 01:19 AM
FS: Alliance tenna rotor Joe Swap 0 January 10th 05 04:06 AM
Tenna Phase III schematic needed D & B Rude Shortwave 0 October 24th 04 06:09 AM
SELECT A TENNA AM DX MARVEL ONLY $5.00 ON BID NOW LAST FEW MOMENTS blueglaz113 Shortwave 25 March 30th 04 10:05 AM
SELECT A TENNA AM DX MARVEL ONLY $5.00 ON BID NOW LAST FEW MOMENTS blueglaz113 Swap 4 March 30th 04 06:33 AM