Old January 31st 06, 02:40 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Josh

Default sounds like teletype

Hi,

Sometimes when I'm runing in stations with my grundig-fr200 radio I hear
something that sounds like teletype or really fast morse code. what is this?

Josh

--
he should try out the animal before he bought him. He took the could. The
Bear soon left him, for it is said he will not touch-land... A RIVER carried

Old January 31st 06, 04:45 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Radio TexMex

Josh wrote:

Hi,

Sometimes when I'm runing in stations with my grundig-fr200 radio I hear
something that sounds like teletype or really fast morse code. what is
this?

Josh

Most likely RTTY or some other digital mode. If your radio receives SSB, you
ought to try and decode it with some of these software RTTY readers out
there.
Old January 31st 06, 04:49 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave

Sometimes when I'm runing in stations with my
grundig-fr200 radio I hear something that
sounds like teletype or really fast morse code. what is this?

Could be WEFAX, FAX, RTTY, SSTV, PACTOR, NAVTEX, some packet-based FSK
mode etc. You don't give us much to narrow it down.

Sometimes they intersperse CW ID's in among the deedle-deedles.

Tim.

Old January 31st 06, 05:04 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Radio TexMex

Josh wrote:

what is ssb?

Josh

Single Side Band mode is a modulated signal without the AM carrier. You
usually don't want a carrier in the way when trying to use most data modes:

He

http://www.sgcworld.com/whatisssbtechnote.html

Read up!

Have fun! - Matt

Old January 31st 06, 08:38 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Jim Haynes

Except for the amateur radio bands, there is very very little stuff
that sounds like teletype that is decodable these days. Most of what
you hear is synchronous and probably encrypted.
--

jhhaynes at earthlink dot net