Old February 3rd 06, 10:52 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
James Douglas

Default SpaceSuit

Listening right now on my Satellite800, crystal clear, repeating
message, don't litter space...
Of course I am kidding but is anyone heard it yet, it seems to be
on the other side of the world but have not found somewhere on the
web that will display when it's going to be somewhere near TX.

Thanks!
Old February 3rd 06, 10:59 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
dxAce

James Douglas wrote:

Listening right now on my Satellite800, crystal clear, repeating
message, don't litter space...
Of course I am kidding but is anyone heard it yet, it seems to be
on the other side of the world but have not found somewhere on the
web that will display when it's going to be somewhere near TX.

It will follow pretty much the same orbit as ISS, so you can use:

http://spaceflight1.nasa.gov/realdat...ing/index.html

(Might take a bit of time to load, and right now the ISS is not showing on the
map, but they sometimes lose data, and should be back on soon)

I don't think it passes over USA until late at night or very early morning.

See:

http://spaceflight1.nasa.gov/realdata/sightings/

Click on sightings by city over on the left side, or, you can download the other
program there.

Read something about it possibly being launched around 4:30 this afternoon
(EST).

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old February 3rd 06, 11:00 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Mark Loveless

Deployment is running behind schedule. They are just now flipping on
the power switches. Deployment should be in a few minutes.

Old February 3rd 06, 11:04 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Mark Loveless

Deployed at 5:02 CST (23:03 UTC). Away it goes (watching on NASA-TV).

The cosmonaut said "Goodbye, Mr. Smith" as he tossed it away.

Old February 3rd 06, 11:07 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
dxAce

Mark Loveless wrote:

Deployed at 5:02 CST (23:03 UTC). Away it goes (watching on NASA-TV).

The cosmonaut said "Goodbye, Mr. Smith" as he tossed it away.

Cool!

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old February 3rd 06, 11:19 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Carter, K8VT

Mark Loveless wrote:
Deployed at 5:02 CST (23:03 UTC). Away it goes (watching on NASA-TV).

The cosmonaut said "Goodbye, Mr. Smith" as he tossed it away.

I believe I read that there was either a 7 or 17 minute delay from
deployment to when transmitter comes on.

Passes for SE Michigan... (first that will go over) looks like about
5:39 AM and then 7:12 AM EST on Saturday Feb 4. (Using Orbitron program
with Keplerian elements for ISS)

Unfortunately, some guy north of Detroit is running his packet beacon on
145.990.
Old February 3rd 06, 11:33 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
rtc

What it looks like:

http://www.amsat.org/amsat-new/articles/SuitSat/

Tracking:

http://www.heavens-above.com/main.as...=Birmingham&TZ

"Carter, K8VT" wrote in message
t...

Old February 4th 06, 12:36 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
dxAce

James Douglas wrote:

Listening right now on my Satellite800, crystal clear, repeating
message, don't litter space...
Of course I am kidding but is anyone heard it yet, it seems to be
on the other side of the world but have not found somewhere on the
web that will display when it's going to be somewhere near TX.

Heard by JH3XCU/1 in Japan at 0009 with a weak signal, but not heard at all in
other countries prior to coming up on Japan.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old February 4th 06, 07:30 AM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Greg

From: dxAce
Newsgroups: rec.radio.shortwave
Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2006 19:36:23 -0500
Subject: SpaceSuit

James Douglas wrote:

Listening right now on my Satellite800, crystal clear, repeating
message, don't litter space...
Of course I am kidding but is anyone heard it yet, it seems to be
on the other side of the world but have not found somewhere on the
web that will display when it's going to be somewhere near TX.

Heard by JH3XCU/1 in Japan at 0009 with a weak signal, but not heard at all in
other countries prior to coming up on Japan.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

George Noory said tonight that the transmitter (batteries?) died after two
orbits. Too bad.

Greg
(Yes, insomnia tonight!)

Old February 4th 06, 01:26 PM posted to rec.radio.shortwave
Les Hemmings

Greg wrote:

George Noory said tonight that the transmitter (batteries?) died
after two orbits. Too bad.

Greg
(Yes, insomnia tonight!)

Mightily disappointed not to be able to receive signals from the now
frozen, inoperative Suitsat. Perhaps if they had painted the suit black to
absorb heat from the sun instead of the reflective white that is designed to
keep a hot, working astronaut cool the batteries may have lasted longer....

Les

Here is an excerpt from the latest NASA report on the ISS; it describes the
failure of the SuitSat.
======================
Report #5=20
11:30 p.m. CST, Friday, Feb. 3, 2006
Mission Control Center, Houston

Space station crew members released a spacesuit-turned-satellite during the
second spacewalk of their mission last night. Called SuitSat, it faintly
transmitted recorded voices of schoolchildren to amateur radio operators
worldwide for a brief period before it ceased sending signals.

Expedition 12 Commander Bill McArthur and Flight Engineer Valery Tokarev
ventured outside for a five-hour, 43-minute spacewalk to release SuitSat,
conduct preventative maintenance to a cable-cutting device, retrieve
experiments
and photograph the station's exterior. Clad in Russian Orlan spacesuits,
McArthur and Tokarev opened the hatch to begin the spacewalk at 5:44 p.m.
EST. It
was the fourth career spacewalk for McArthur and the second for Tokarev.

After setting up tools and equipment, they positioned the unneeded Orlan
spacesuit on a ladder by the station's Pirs airlock hatch. The suit reached
the
end of its operational life for spacewalks in August 2004. It was outfitted
by
the crew with three batteries, internal sensors and a radio transmitter for
this experiment.

The SuitSat provided recorded greetings in six languages to ham radio
operators for about two orbits of the Earth before it stopped transmitting,
perhaps
due to its batteries failing in the cold environment of space, according to
amateur radio coordinators affiliated with the station program. The suit
will
enter the atmosphere and burn up in a few weeks. Tokarev pushed the suit
away
toward the aft end of the station as the complex flew 225 miles above the
south central Pacific Ocean. The suit initially drifted away at a rate of
about
a half meter per second, slowly floating out of view below the Zvezda
Service Module and its attached Progress cargo craft. The suit is now
separating
from the station at a rate of about six kilometers every 90 minutes. . .

--
Remove Frontal Lobes to reply direct.

http://armsofmorpheus.blogspot.com/

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?
Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing?
Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing?